News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Played this course a few weeks ago based on positive comments here on GCA.  The price was $45, very good for south Florida.  The course as has been mentioned was recently renovated by Bobby Weed.  I hadn’t played the course before the renovation, but I understand that three or four new holes were created and that a lot of waste areas were created.  The site is probably the most sandy site I have seen and the creation of the waste areas seems to have required little more than uncovering the existing sand and shaping it.  It certainly has increased the aesthetic appeal of the course (assuming you like sand).  The course played fast and firm as I would expect with the sand base and the semi-dormant Bermuda.

The course has substantial elevation changes, perhaps up to 60 or 70 feet, and is therefore atypical for south Florida courses.  Also atypically, it has just as many holes that go uphill as go downhill.  It is not a course that’s all out there in front of you.  There are lots of fun and challenging holes, but the last hole on each nine is a bit of a letdown.  They seem squeezed in, perhaps creating some room for further housing development around the clubhouse.

Although it is sited in an old middle class housing area with bungalows on large lots, the housing does not intrude on play at all.  Sadly, in the current economic times a lot of those houses seemed to be up for sale or lease.

The 1st is a mid-length par 4 to a green benched in a small ridge.  Not an easy starter.  And, houses in the trees to the right might play in the minds of (RH) slicers off the first tee.

Strategically, a drive down the left side laying up in front of the fairway bunkers provides the best angle, but a pretty long second to the green.

The 2nd is a mid-length par 4 that legs hard right around the first of the many large waste areas. Flirting with the waste areas will leave a shorter second to the green.

The second is an all carry shot over a deep, but fairway grassed ravine to a green that slopes significantly back to front.

The 3rd is a mid-length par 3, downhill to a green sloping a bit away.  Interesting use of waste areas to disguise the municipal road that crosses behind the green and in front of the next tee.

The 4th is a long tough uphill par 4.  The hole favours a draw off the tee and you must avoid the waste areas to have a reasonable chance to hit the green.

Looking back down the fairway on the 4th.

The 5th is a shortish par 5 that’s downhill off the tee and then uphill to a well protected dell green benched in the hill.  Intimidating off the tee, especially when you want to grip it and rip it to take a shot at going  for the green.

A view from the LZ.

If you come up short on the second the green is blind up the hill.

The 6th is a longish par 4 that bends left, but with a LZ that slopes off to the right.

The good line is up the left, but the trees on the left and the cant of the fairway to the right conspire to make that a very difficult shot to achieve.  From the right side of the fairway, the green is partly blind behind an intimidating ridge featuring a large waste area.

The 6th green is bunkerless and runs away from the player further complicating the approach shot.

The 7th appears to be a short par 5 on the card at 466 yards from the second-from-the-back tees, but plays significantly longer up a steeply pitched hill.  The tee shot also requires a well placed fade off the tee.  Anything left will be blocked out by trees if the waste areas are avoided,

The second is severely uphill.

The third is blind if you come up short.

Looking back down the green to the fairway.

The 8th is a driveable par 4 at under 300 hundred yards from an elevated tee across the municipal road.  The landing area is pinched by waste areas and trees, but recovery shots are possible.

A closer look at the approach to the green.

The 9th is a short par 3 to a push green.  A bit of a disappointment to finish the nine.

(to be continued ………….)

Bryan Izatt

The back nine commences with a medium-length par 4 with a bit of a bend to the right.  The green is blind from the tee.

Hugging the right side gives a shorter second shot, but brings a ridge in front of the green into play.

The 11th is a long par 3.  There is a significant drop off to the left and in front of the green.  A running draw up to the right side looks possible.

The 12th is another mid-length par 4 bending to the left.  The course guide suggests trying to carry the left bunker to get a turbo slot and a better angle to the green.  Looked like too high a risk shot for me.

From the right side of the fairway, the shallow green is well protected by bunkers.

The 13th is another short par 5 that plays longer as it ramps significantly uphill.  A fade off the tee would be ideal.  A view of the fairway across a waste area.   

A view from the forward tees.

The uphill second.

A look back down the fairway.

The 14th is a long par 3 downhill across waste areas.  It looks like you can bank it on from the left hillside, but if you leave it up there, the revoery is very delicate.

The 15th is a short par, uphill, and bending left.  A well placed layup is probably best, but a good driver would leave a short pitch to the green.

Regardless, of club selection off the tee, the second will be blind over a ridge ……

… to a green that runs away. 

The 16th is a long par 5 that’s downhill and bends left.  Avoiding the waste areas left or trees right is a good idea if there is any hope to get home in two.

From the ideal LZ, the green is visible but requires a fair carry over waste areas and avoiding a few trees.

The third shot is from an awkward angle.

The 17th is a long par 4 a bit uphill.

The second is to a green that’s partially obscured because it’s uphill.  Interestingly, the waste area behind the green looks to be in play but in reality is at least 50 yards behind the green, past the 18th tee.

The 18th  is a short par 4, that might be driveable for the long hitters.  A tree is in the middle of the fairway with a bunker to the right of it on the line to the green,  Options are to give it a go on a line over the bunker, or lay up short of it, or lay up to the left of the tree.

From the left side the green is protected by bunkers.  The containment mounding around the green ill collect slightly errant second shots, while the front will reject short shots.

Mike_Cirba

Thanks Bryan...I really like the muted brown look.

Jason Topp

Where is this course?  Do they allow walking?

John Mayhugh

Bryan,
Thanks for the pics.  I've really wanted to see some of this course.

I wouldn't call the location south Florida, though.  Deltona is north of Orlando.   As good as the value is for central Florida, it would be completely astonishing for south Florida.

Bryan Izatt

Jason,

About a half hour north-east of Orlando.  The price includes cart, and there is no walking rate, but I'd guess they wouldn't object to you walking.  It'd be a relatively arduous walk.  Lots of ups and downs, but at least a pretty compact site.

John,

No, more like mid-FL I guess, but still good value for anywhere from Orlando on down.  Maybe as good value as the panhandle too, but I haven't been there, so didn't want to make that claim.  For $45 it's good value for pretty much anywhere.

Mike Hendren

I would hate to be paired with a Japanese rock gardener there - talk about your 12 hours round.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chris Ord

thanks for posting bryan.  looks like a blast to play.

Tom Dunne

I think Mike Sweeney posted some "Before" pics of Deltona last month. It was Snooze City. Bobby Weed did wonders with the place. It's startling to think that back in the 60s they actually capped a naturally sandy site (speaking of the Florida Sandbelt) with a heavier soil! This is exactly the kind of course that folks on this site would want to support. It's eminently walkable, F&F, affordable, and I would imagine has tremendous replay value.

I played about nine of the holes with Bobby (a fellow lefty, another point in his favor) and Chris Monti during the '08 PGA Show and had a blast. It's my opinion that Bobby has some major courses in his future if he can get the right projects and great land nailed down. I think he's drawn some valuable lessons from his early work with Pete Dye, then the Tour stuff, and the "minimalist" movement as well. The work of his that I've seen (Deltona; Glen Mills in PA; Jacaranda in Ft. Laud) has loads of style and is just really fun to play.

Mike Sweeney

Great course, great pics. Thanks.

After 2 plays I have not figured out 18, but I like it. I understand your view on #9 but I think it is a decent if not great Short hole.

Hope to get back for 1 more round over Easter break.

Here is the old thread with before and after pics:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

Charlie Goerges

Man, I looked at the aerial in google earth and MS maps and both are definitely pre-redesign. Very neat redo.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mike Sweeney

I would hate to be paired with a Japanese rock gardener there - talk about your 12 hours round.

Bogey

Double Bogey,

Without going all Matt Wardish on you, you need to plaaaaay the course. Looks hard, plays fun. Ypu need to hit some pretty bad shots to lose a ball and the bunkering is typically on one side, so you have some real options. Just one longer walk between holes on the front and a walk between 9 and 10 but that is it. No water that I remember.

Andy Hughes

Re: Pictorial Tour of the Deltona Club – Best Value for the Money in So FL?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
Bryan, Mike, others: has anyone played Deltona since 2009? Is it still as highly recommended and conditions as playable?

A guy from a golf tour co. reacted like I had been hitting the bottle a little too hard when I said I wanted our group to play here.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
Bryan, Mike, others: has anyone played Deltona since 2009? Is it still as highly recommended and conditions as playable?

A guy from a golf tour co. reacted like I had been hitting the bottle a little too hard when I said I wanted our group to play here.

Played there last winter in january.
Condition fine.
Plays through an aging neighborhood so the aesthetics aren't great, but the course is.
Preferred it to Victoria Hills.
Also played Black Bear which I preferred to Eagle Dunes
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:11:36 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Andy Hughes

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
Jeff, thanks--believe it or not, you answered my next question.  I also suggested to him that as long as we were already up that way, I was trying to choose between Black Bear and Eagle Dunes. Extraordinary that you would write that.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Jeff, thanks--believe it or not, you answered my next question.  I also suggested to him that as long as we were already up that way, I was trying to choose between Black Bear and Eagle Dunes. Extraordinary that you would write that.

I may have been distracted by the "talented" and friendly bartendress
Black Bear was a lot of fun, Eagle Dunes was OK.
Played 36 at deltona

Deltona
Black bear (fun and unique)
Victoria Hills (nothing wrong with it at all and in good condition would be a VERY safe choice a bit like WW)
Eagle Dunes
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
Andy,

I was there last February and the conditions were OK, although the overseed was a bit patchy.  No better or worse than neighboring courses though. 

Victoria Hills is a good experience in the area and can also be had for a very low price.  The clubhouse and environment are a significant step up from Deltona.

Based on Jeff's comments, I guess I'll have to try to get out to Black Bear.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »
I liked Vic Hills a lot and would like to see Deltona, as I believe Weed hand a hand in both.?.?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Andy Hughes

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
I liked Vic Hills a lot and would like to see Deltona, as I believe Weed hand a hand in both.?.?

RM, Weed did the redo at Deltona but Ron Garl did Victoria Hills. As far as I know Weed didn't have anything to do with it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
Thank you, Andy. Now I would like to see Deltona even more.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
I have always been a fan of Deltona, but it went through a bad patch of conditioning issues. Played it today and it is back in very good shape.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:40:08 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

BCowan

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 10:41:29 PM »
Mike,

I played 10 holes 6 days ago.  was making great time and then ran into a slow group.  Was really impressed with the course and GCA really shines with the Florida top 10 public thread which friends of mine recommended this track.  How are the last 8 holes?  Lady in shop tried to talk me into a cart more then once.  Thought it was easy walk.  Had trouble finding the 7th tee ;D .

Deltona, palatka, and brooksville were all very great additions to my FL resume!!! 

goldj

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
Has anyone been to Deltona lately?  I’m scheduled to play there in a couple of weeks and am curious to know how sort of condition the course is in.  From all the pictures it looks a very exciting alternative to so many of the flatter Florida courses and i’m hopeful that it will be in good shape.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »
I played there for the first time years ago on the recommendation of Mr Sweeney.
I really enjoyed the layout and it was in good shape that day I played. Since than I’ve always tried to get back when I’m down there visiting mom and dad and I’ve seen it in good and so so shape since than. I missed it this past Dec but I was told it was in good shape during the week in Dec that I was down there.

Even if it’s in so so shape I think it’s worth a look. It has a unique feel that you do not usually associate with Florida golf. Take a look I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
Has anyone been to Deltona lately?  I’m scheduled to play there in a couple of weeks and am curious to know how sort of condition the course is in.  From all the pictures it looks a very exciting alternative to so many of the flatter Florida courses and i’m hopeful that it will be in good shape.

I played it back in December and it was solid.  I would also go across I4 and play Victoria Hills.  Deltona & Victoria Hills are my go to courses when not playing WP9.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back