News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: Just Good Writing
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »
.there always be some good writing going on....that's why I come here.....plus it keeps me out of bars....and when I see a thread that says peter pallotta....it glows like neon.

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Joe Hancock

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »
.there always be some good writing going on....that's why I come here.....plus it keeps me out of bars....and when I see a thread that says peter pallotta....it glows like neon.

Damn straight there is....... :)

You were needed about 4 bad puns ago. All your fault.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kirk

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
It glows like neon, buzzing softly in the warm summer dusk, as I fumble in vain for my mashie; I clutch its pliable hickory shaft in my sweating hands when I notice the graceful grain of the wood, the imperfections glowing like neon in the dusk, and I....

Jimbo

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
there always be some good writing going on....that's why I come here.....

viva GCA

George Pazin

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »
However, in general when somebody is all bottled up like that, I point out that nobody cares about your golf game, only their own.

There are many OT threads on this site that would imply otherwise. :)

Economy of writing is an odd issue. When you cut too much, you tend to be dismissed. Or not sufficiently clear. There is a happy medium between absolute economy and overly expansive; I think Updike comes pretty close to the ideal in this little passage.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Sander

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »
This conversation prompted me to hunt down a recent column from our local alternative newspaper/ad sheet.

The gist of it is that the writer once asked Updike a timely if unexpected question and got a fairly remarkable response. 

http://www.nuvo.net/opinion/article/shadow-spiritual-crisis

What strikes me, as it relates to this discussion, is how much Updike's extemporaneous speech mirrors his written work.

I've met many writers -a few of them good- and very, very few truly speak with the same weight/tone/style/flair/humopr/gravitas/whatever-it-is that they manage to wring out of a keyboard.  Love Updike's style or loathe it, at the very least it seemed to come from an authentic voice.   

IMHO, natch.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »
Economy of writing is an odd issue. When you cut too much, you tend to be dismissed.

That's me.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dan Kelly

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
Economy of writing is an odd issue. When you cut too much, you tend to be dismissed.

That's me.

Who?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joe Hancock

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
http://www.nuvo.net/opinion/article/shadow-spiritual-crisis

Thanks for the above, Scott.  It was very good,--both Updike's off the cuff comments and the interviewers piece wrapped around it.

George Pazin

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »
From the linked article (thanks for the link):

So while the literary world mourned a brilliant writer last month, I silently gave thanks to a brief moment of illumination that came so effortlessly for him.

I think I disagree with this comment, or at least what I infer from it.

The great ones make things look effortless, but that is almost always because they have spent endless hours for numerous years toiling to make it appear that way. I think it is both misleading and not respectful enough (sorry, can't find the right word) to deem that effortless.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »

Sean Leary

Dan Kelly

Carl Johnson

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »
I can easily recall the first time one of my loops said she was nervous because of caring about what I thought of her game.

The concept was as foreign to me . . . .  

A couple of months ago I attended a program at which legendary Pinehurst caddie Willie McRae was asked whether it made any difference to him who he caddied for, an expert golfer or a novice.  I cannot remember his exact answer word for word, but essentially his answer was that it was a business to him and that for him to be paid like he wanted to be, he did the best job he could for every golfer, regardless of skill level.  They all paid the same way.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back