News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Re: Best example of "American" architecture
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 06:45:27 AM »
Pine Valley cannot represent American courses... it is unique...
So are places like  National Golf Links, Augusta, Harbour Town...

Depends on how you read the question...

if it's best example of architecture in America

or

best example of american-style architecture

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »
The K-Club,Mt. Juliet  ;D

I'd take them to Pine Valley, TCC, Shinnecock, Merion

wouldn't take them near Florida (unless it was january)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »
American Architecture to me means Firestone or Bellrive. That is changing now,but the 50s and 60s left some scars.

Mike I would agree that RTJ is very much American, and his courses built in the 1960's are a darn good example of the solid American golf course.

Bellerive is a very good golf course and doesn't get enough credit IMO.
H.P.S.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
idea was best examples of american contributions to good architecture..

I like NGLA, but is that really american application of british designs...redan, short, etc. were all copies of british designs

RTJ is certainly american...but i am not convinced RTJ added much to GOOD arch.

I kind of feel like Tillie, MacKenzie, Flynn were more along the lines of NGLA--more british in application than american.

Harbor town seems quintessentially american--both for the land forms used as well as the arch,  while adding a lot to good arch.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »
Garland,

This may be blasphemous but I think the 18th at Pebble is a replica of the 12th at Elie.  Not genuinely American IMHO.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
I agree that the definition of "American" architecture is vague.  Given that, I believe that a definition of distinctly "American" architecture must start with RTJ.  Someone said that he didn't add much, or contribute much to the development of architecture.  I think that's beside the point.  The question isn't, "which american architect contributed most to golf course architecture?'.  That would be an interesting thread, eh?  But, I think we could agree that RTF was certainly the most prolific American architect.  Given this standard, I'd have to say that the Dunes in MB, or even the Grand National complex in Alabama are excellent examples of "American" architecture.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
Hmmm As I read this thread it makes me think why would anyone think TPC anywhere?  Pebble yes, Pacific Dunes Yes, National Golf Links Yes, Marion Yes, Sand Hlls Yes, and Augusta National YES YES. Yes they all have ties to the UK but  each in their own way is a true part of our history, evolution and a great example of American architecture.  I should add in the Spyglass/Firestone/Butler National/Champions style as part of the American evolution of golf architecture.  I will leave the desert out but we have our own special place in that arena.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 01:31:56 AM »
I believe what has defined "American" golf course architecture is the nature of HOW the game is played in our country... through the air rather than along the ground.

As a result of the superiority of the American professionals and the popularity and growth of the American PGA Tour, courses have evolved into designs that are 98%+ created with the ground game not even being considered.

As a result, and caused by the majority of the "Name" architectural firms being American-based, "American"-style courses now proliferate around the globe.

I think most foreign players who come here recognize our course types already and are able to suit their games far better than the typical American player who visits the grand old "ground-based" designs found all over the U.K. and the rest of Europe.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
I love Sawgrass on this list, but I also think Shadow Creek is a great example of the American game, and so is Augusta. Super green playing surfaces, icy greens, long (now), they have a whole tournament based on American values, so Augusta National is on my list.

ANGC for another reason, too:  it was a revolutionary design, that applied TOC principles to and inland setting.  As I understand it, no one had ever seen a course like it before. 

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 03:32:21 AM »
I would agree that desert golf would be something not seen in Europe.

Anthony , dont you realise Dubai is in Europe  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:38:54 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Scott Warren

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:11 AM »
As a result of the superiority of the American professionals

On what basis do you say they are superior?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
Scott,

I meant it in the sense of how the U.S. PGA Tour has been perceived around the world. Almost every great international player has wanted to play in the U.S. in order to measure their own skills. Like it or not, since Bobby Jones day there has been an unbroken string of Americans considered as the best player in the world (Jones, Nelson, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods...)

There have always been great players outside of the U.S., just not enough of them in one place to offset the size, numbers, money & media exposure as enjoyed in the U.S.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
Cog Hill, Firestone, Spyglass and Forest Highlands come to mind.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
Like it or not, since Bobby Jones day there has been an unbroken string of Americans considered as the best player in the world (Jones, Nelson, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods...)

Norman and Faldo, maybe? There is a decent hole in your timeline between Jack and Tiger.

The world top 20 has been an absolute UN of golf for the past 20 years. I think it's a long bow to say that the strength of the US Tour somehow means US pros are superior.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back