News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Stearns

Best example of "American" architecture
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »
The thread on somebody's trip to America got me thinking

"if you wanted a friend from abroad to experience golf that was (a) great and (b) something totally different than what he/she could get anywhere else, where would you take him/her"

I'll say TPC Sawgrass, as i think it has good strategic options and is playable for the mid handicapper on down, but represented a fresh approach to design (spectator mounding, building in a swamp, etc.) at the time.

Jay Kirkpatrick

Re: Best example of "American" architecture
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
By American, do you mean designed by an American... or just unique to this country?  When I think of American design, I actually think of some of the great old masters from abroad that used terrain that is fairly unique to America (NE, sandhills, mountains, etc.).

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »

Scott,

WOW.... the first one that came to me mind was Sawgrass.

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
When I started planning to visit America I didn't know a single person in the USA connected to golf, so I set about coming up with courses that seemed "American" to me that were accessible.

I came up with TPC Sawgrass, Valhalla, Scottsdale/Troon North and Pebble as a cross section. Hit or miss?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
When I started planning to visit America I didn't know a single person in the USA connected to golf, so I set about coming up with courses that seemed "American" to me that were accessible.

I came up with TPC Sawgrass, Valhalla, Scottsdale/Troon North and Pebble as a cross section. Hit or miss?

I would agree that desert golf would be something not seen in Europe. Wolfe Creek is a great example.

Anthony

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
I think Tobacco Road can come into play as an American original. Maybe its just me, but I don't know of anything like it elsewhere.

Scott--If Pebble amounts to a course to see as uniquely American, then why not Cypress? It would seem that they amount to courses built on the same general property, but Cypress is the better of the two it would seem no?? I'm not doubting what you are saying, but how is Pebble that much different than Cypress to give Pebble the nod?---The others you mention seem uniquely American.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »
I agree with the suggestion of the modern classics on the prairie (Sand Hills, Ballyneal and Sutton Bay) as being a uniquely American experience. 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
How about National Golf Links of America? Think about it... 
jeffmingay.com

john_stiles

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
From my recollections,  it seems Myrtle Beach is where many, many Canadians/Irish/Scots/English come for a golf holiday.     They love the distinctly American GCA experience in MB,   the cart loaded with 'refreshments' and especially, especially the  'cart girl'.

MB would also provide a wide array of modern American architecture, all in one place.  Doak to Dye to Love to RTJ to Palmer to Cobb to many others.

On the other hand,  Philly area would be best with Flynn, Tillinghast and Ross, etc.

But, one course,  modern era,   I would pick the Dunes at MB.  Classic Trent Jones, modern post WWII with a dash of lateral hazards,  forced carries over water,  and the American use of water for strategic design.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »
I think about traditional parkland courses like Winged Foot. I also think about the home courses of classic players, Seminole, Murrifield, Congressional. I love Sawgrass on this list, but I also think Shadow Creek is a great example of the American game, and so is Augusta. Super green playing surfaces, icy greens, long (now), they have a whole tournament based on American values, so Augusta National is on my list. Desert Courses are american.... I have never played one, but you have to pick an example from the Scottsdale area for that as well.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
I think Tobacco Road can come into play as an American original. Maybe its just me, but I don't know of anything like it elsewhere.

Scott--If Pebble amounts to a course to see as uniquely American, then why not Cypress? It would seem that they amount to courses built on the same general property, but Cypress is the better of the two it would seem no?? I'm not doubting what you are saying, but how is Pebble that much different than Cypress to give Pebble the nod?---The others you mention seem uniquely American.

I don't think Pebble would be the best example of American Architecture.   It could perhaps be the Mr. America of golf courses though.

The reason it could not be best example of American Architecture is due to the fact it lies on the ocean, and many of the holes strategic challenges come from the ocean.  Such examples would be the tee shot on 18, the drive on 9, on and on.  There are not hardly any American golf courses that have such features.  I think the best example of American architecture would be a course with some trees, some openness, many options off the tee, and a really good set of greens.  Without having ever seen the place, would Pine Valley not be the best example of this, keeping in mind that it even has an island green!?

Cheers,
Jordan

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
How about National Golf Links of America? Think about it... 

That's the one that came to mind.

So this brash Yank looked at the Old World,  saw things he liked in France, England and Scotland,and created something  new.  From then on the energy and vigour created a whole range of possibilities that reinvigorated the old game...and it was  good.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Jordan,

The 18th at PB has been replicated over, and over, and over again, and often times as the 18th on the course where it has been replicated. It is just that most of the replications are not done with ocean. Think about it. You played a replica 18th at Sandpines.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
I like John Stiles MB answer.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »

The key was accessibility. As I mentioned, because I didn't know anyone at all, it was essential that each of the courses was accessible to an overseas golfer without knowing a member. If there was no restriction to entry, the list would be quite different, and yes, the first interchange I would make would be Cypress for Pebble.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »
The Country Club of brookline.

The first country club and a very unique course even for the States.

Why would you take anyone to the state of Florida?
H.P.S.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »
That's the one that came to mind.

So this brash Yank looked at the Old World,  saw things he liked in France, England and Scotland,and created something  new.  From then on the energy and vigour created a whole range of possibilities that reinvigorated the old game...and it was  good.

Agree, Tony. Thanks for elaborating on my point!
jeffmingay.com

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »
Scott:
What course(s) would you pick for England?

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »
Hard for me to say, Carl. I've not been here very long and growing up, the main access I got to good golf courses was through watching the US PGA Tour, which is why I have a bit more of a fully-formed idea about American courses.

Having only played three English courses of note (Deal, The Addington and Prince's), my suggestions wouldn't be worth much.

I do, however, know I could show Deal or The Addington to most of my golfing mates from Australia and either would be quite unlike anything they have seen at home.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:26:28 PM by Scott Warren »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
Modern american: TPC at Sawgrass is a good choice
Classic american: Winged Foot

J_ Crisham

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »
Harbour Town is kind of distinctively American with it's blend of marsh and woods. Great test for a shotmaker. Par 3's as good as you will find anywhere.            Jack

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:17 PM »
American Architecture to me means Firestone or Bellrive. That is changing now,but the 50s and 60s left some scars.

mark chalfant

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
Oak Tree
Newport
Lawsonia
Prairie Dunes

Desert  Forest
Shady Oaks
Boston Golf Club
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:17:38 PM by mark chalfant »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »
What about Pine Valley?

I always thought that was as distinctly American as it got.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 04:21:07 AM »
I don't think you can pick anyone one course because the term "American architecture" is just too vague.  Folks from different parts of the country and with different experiences will offer different answers, but all are right.  For example, I would probably choose a Ross course because 1) that is what I grew up with 2) Ross is iconic and 3) he designed courses for all levels society, all levels of skill and a lot of each.  In other words, a great many golfers could and can enjoy a Ross design.  That said, I think a few of the county/state/municipals around Michigan are much more reflective of what golf is and was for most Michigan golfers and I daresay every state has its versions of these public courses.  So we also need to decide what "best" means.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back