News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Re: North Carolina - 1 Game
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:35 AM »
Ed - I am surprised you haven't given Hillandale a shot yet.  I heard it's supposed to be sporty, if cosmopolitan.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »
I am absolutely shocked by the price of Southern Pines.  Played it in September of 2007, only 1.5 years ago, and greens fees were $35-$45.  With a business model of ripping off the consumer it is hard to root for their success.

rjsimper

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
I am absolutely shocked by the price of Southern Pines.  Played it in September of 2007, only 1.5 years ago, and greens fees were $35-$45.  With a business model of ripping off the consumer it is hard to root for their success.

You may have gotten the tail end of summer fees, which are lower.  Fees in Pinehurst (and I know John will correct me if I am off) are lowest in December January, followed by probably July/August, and then comes the Feb/November timeframe.  I believe September/October is 2nd in line to March/April/May for the most expensive.

Better off this time of year sticking closer to the triangle and avoiding the high-season gouging.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »

You may have gotten the tail end of summer fees, which are lower.  Fees in Pinehurst (and I know John will correct me if I am off) are lowest in December January, followed by probably July/August, and then comes the Feb/November timeframe.  I believe September/October is 2nd in line to March/April/May for the most expensive.

Better off this time of year sticking closer to the triangle and avoiding the high-season gouging.

Played last week of September.  Greens fees are now $85 that time of the year.  Essentially they have doubled.  With the state of the economy only Avestra will know if it's a good move but I think not.  While SP was an excellent value and perhaps underpriced it is now overpriced for the quality of the golf.

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

Yeah, those figures are more or less right, but it depends on the course, some do it a little different. Either way, April is in the middle of the peak season and most likely no one down there will cut you any kind of break on the rate.

Sean--If you are looking to play and don't have your heart set on a specific place, just get in touch with some of us around the Raleigh/Durham area. There are many fine places to play, some of them are very reasonable. The Neuse in Clayton is charging $49 for Friday rounds during that time. Thats a real good rate for that course, last time I was there I felt it was in outstanding condition, mostly firm/fast and has some real good elevation changes making for a quality course.

Duke is charging $100, Finley is going for $80, River Ridge gets $52. Beyond those 4 courses, there is nothing else on the public side really worth seeing around Raleigh or Durham. Simper's home course at Mill Creek (Ryan, I hope I remember that correctly) I have never played but have heard it to be a good place.  The Champions Course at Bryan Park in Greensboro is getting $59 which is a good deal; they are to host the US Am Publinx next year. Greensboro is not much farther from Raleigh than Tobacco Road in Sanford.

But sticking entirely to the public side of the courses, this is a fairly lean area for top quality public courses.

rjsimper

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Indeed - Mill Creek is my home course and is no more than 50-55 bucks on a Friday.  Correction, current posted Spring rates are $39 before Noon and $31 after Noon.  Comparatively speaking for the area, that's an absolute steal.  We aerate this coming Monday.

It's in Mebane which is about 30-35 minutes from RDU, and is a solid and challenging track.  It's no Ross classic, but in the league of Duke et al, it stands up favorably and I enjoy playing there.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Sean--You will struggle to find affordable golf in this area during April, especially on a Friday. That is peak season around here. The courses don't have to make deals (normally) because they have people beating down the doors to play, especially Southern Pines and Tobacco Road.

The Neuse in Clayton is a pretty fair track, I used to work there. The rate should be reasonable, in the range of $50 or so. Its a cool place to play. (I played there once with a gentleman from England, he said it was a very fine place, and better than anything he had seen in England, for what that may be worth)

Raleigh CC is a good place, if you can get on. Tanglewood (Championship) is also a good place, held the PGA Championship in 1974.

And as far as being in Raleigh for a few days, PM me, maybe we can meet for a drink if you like.

Tanglewood is okay, but if you are willing to go to the triad area, I would pick two other munis over it:  WINSTON LAKE, in Winston-Salem, which is an older Ellis Maples course.  Great terrain, lots of fun blind shots, beautiful setting in a city park.  It is always dirt cheap.  OAK HOLLOW, in High Point, which is a 1971 Pete Dye course built on a peninsula in Oak Hollow Lake.  The course has small, wild greens, several holes on the lake, and tremendous terrain as well.  This one is also dirt cheap to play.  I would HIGHLY recommend these two courses, especially over Tanglewood Park.  Both courses should be under $25 to walk 18.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

David Neveux

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:28 AM »
Sean,

I must admit that the Champions Course at Bryan Park really did not float my boat.  But who am I to say....

JNC,

As a fan of Tanglewood, I'm very interested to see both courses you recommend as alternatives.  This would appear to be a wonderful area for good / cheap golf, would it not?  I'll admit that Tanglewood isn't by any stretch a great course or one of my all time favorites, but for the value you can't go wrong. 

Nev

JNC Lyon

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Sean,

I must admit that the Champions Course at Bryan Park really did not float my boat.  But who am I to say....

JNC,

As a fan of Tanglewood, I'm very interested to see both courses you recommend as alternatives.  This would appear to be a wonderful area for good / cheap golf, would it not?  I'll admit that Tanglewood isn't by any stretch a great course or one of my all time favorites, but for the value you can't go wrong. 

Nev

Winston-Salem is a fantastic area for good, cheap golf IMO.  Tanglewood is solid for sure, but I think you would really enjoy Winston Lake or Oak Hollow.  Clearly neither course is hosting a big tournament any time soon (Both courses are under 6,600).  However, they are both loaded with quirky, fun features.  I think Winston Lake has a reputation in the area as being just a silly municipal course, but the course usually in good condition and tremendously interested--especially compared to some of the modern private courses in the area.  Oak Hollow is even better, with some truly fantastic holes along the lake and some vintage Pete Dye railroad ties.  If you are in the area, check them both out.  Just don't be expecting an upscale atmosphere.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »
Thank you one and all for your suggestions.  Now, please start your sun dance now as I expect good weather the first two weeks of April. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Moore II

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
Thank you one and all for your suggestions.  Now, please start your sun dance now as I expect good weather the first two weeks of April. 

Ciao

Sean--You should be able to get good weather at least half the days you are here. Allow me to describe our weather this week. Monday-Sunny, windy, 75 degrees. Tuesday-Sunny, windy, 60 degrees. Wednesday-Sunny, 75. Thursday-Sunny, 80 degrees. Friday-Rainy, 45 degrees. Saturday-Rainy, 40 degrees. Sunday-projected rain, possible sleet/snow early in the day, high of 50.   So, you you should have good weather at least a few of the days you're here.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back