News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Pyle and Kenfig 2020 Open - new course layout WIP
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »
Dear GCA,

Keeping up with the Welsh front for an Open! Here is a quick sketch layout for a new 18 hole course utilising some of the holes on the back nine at Pyle and Kenfig.

Here is a brief explanation for each hole

Hole 1 - existing hole 11
Hole 2 - existing hole 12
Hole 3 - existing hole 13
Hole 4 - new hole utilising existing dunes
Hole 5 - new hole
Hole 6 - existing hole 14
Hole 7 - new short hole
Hole 8 - new hole utilising part of the 'A' holes
Hole 9 - one of existing 'A' holes
Hole 10 - one of existing 'A' holes
Hole 11 - new hole utilising part of the 'A' holes
Hole 12 - existing hole 15
Hole 13 - new hole
Hole 14 - new hole - with large dune bunker
Hole 15 - new hole utilising dunes
Hole 16 - new short par 4
Hole 17 - existing hole 16 with new tees
Hole 18 - existing hole 17 - fairway moved left to give breathing space for other holes

There is a proposed new clubhouse and the current 10th and 18th holes being converted into a driving range/practice area for members but it is used as a Tented Village for the Open.

The existing front nine would be used as a practice area. With the new clubhouse location the existing front nine would be a nine holer starting from the existing 2nd tee and finishing on the 1st green.

Cheers

Ben

Ed Tilley

Re: Pyle and Kenfig 2020 Open - new course layout WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:47:22 AM »
Is this actually a genuine plan? I seem to remember that P&K tried to build in the dunes a few years back but it got blocked by environmentalists. The range of dunes that can be seen from the 14th tee is absolutely vast and would potentially make a tremendous course when combined with the best holes on the current course.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »
Ed,

This is not a genuine plan - its a test whether that it has the capability of hosting an Open. It has plenty of great potential links land but it is heavily protected land, there is also undiscoverd landmines!!. Thanks for highlighting that P and K were trying to expand the course in the past. My dad's friend is a member there.

GCA

The current layout is not the original layout - has anyone got an image of the original layout which could be quite useful.

Cheers

Ben

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
Hi Ben,

These exercises you are doing are very interesting.

But tell me, when you are adding new land (or adjusting the routing in any form), are you working to anything other than the aerial shown?... i.e. a topo survey?... or extensive knowledge of the site?

Or have you just bulldozed those bottom few holes on this layout through the land regardless?

I like the presentation though... Is it just Google Earth and Photoshop you are using?

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
Hi Ben,

These exercises you are doing are very interesting.

But tell me, when you are adding new land (or adjusting the routing in any form), are you working to anything other than the aerial shown?... i.e. a topo survey?... or extensive knowledge of the site?

Or have you just bulldozed those bottom few holes on this layout through the land regardless?

I like the presentation though... Is it just Google Earth and Photoshop you are using?

Ally,

I am just working from the aerial - there are a few clues such as dune build up and shadows. I have not been to P and K but seen some photos off their website. These exercises is to work out if there is sufficient land at a number of courses - P and K by far has large amount of land but its a shame that they can't build new holes further into the dunesland as it is protected.

I have never played Prestwick, but seen small bits of it from the road and air, I have played Royal Porthcawl many times.

The first design is never the final design. I would have walked around the site many many times to get the best possible tee, fairway and green sites for each hole. When I worked at Rutland Water Golf Course - the finished article is very different to the first layout drawn.

Cheers

Ben

I actually print it off and draw the holes by pen (the pen is mightier than the sword!!) then scan it + draw the stands and tented villages areas in Photoshop

Mark Hissey

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »
I've looked at this area more times than I can care to recall.

In my opinion, the area north of P&K and Porthcawl is one of the best in the United Kingdom, and certainly in Wales. The area in between Kenfig Pool and the coastline is exceptional. You could probably get 3 wonderful courses in the area.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that ot would ever happen do to environmental issues, most of which are complete nonsense.

It's an incredible shame.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:43:49 PM »
Any word on who might be doing this work if approved?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Hissey

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:19:42 AM »
I had encouraged Eric Iverson from Renaissance to see it last year and he absolutely loved it. I'l be going threr with Jim Urbina the next tme we are there together.

Nobody has been comissioned for the work as the possibility of an approval is presently remote.

Until the steelworks closes down that is...

Paul Nash

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:19 AM »
I drove up there 2 years ago, played Porthcawl and drove  to P&K and along the road between the nines. The land looks absolutely brilliant on the cosat side but the other 9 very ordinary with a squashed in clubhouse and limited parking. I had the same thoughts as Mark - you could have a clubhouse and circa 3 courses on the links side that would challenge anything in the country, if not the world!

Mark Hissey

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »
Obviously I'm prejudiced, but I think that land is exceptional. I don't know how to attach a picture but if you go directly north of P&K you can see exactly how amazing this land is. There are a few details on it that I'd like to point out:

-- In the extreme southern part near P&K there is an old building called Sker House (supposed to be haunted). It would be a perfect place for a clubhouse. It is a listed building so you would have to be creative with it, but it has automatic history.

-- The views over the water are stunning. Just the right elevation to feel the see but high enough for a view.

-- The landforms there are incredible. Lots of variety to incorporate into a routing. It's all sand too.

-- There is an old railway line going south to north following the coastlie which would need to be ripped out.

-- Kenfig Pool is a nature preserve and the focus of why this is tough to get permitted. The ironic thing is that there is a trailer park and farm fields all adjoining the pond.

Is there anyone who can attach a Google Earth image of it?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »
About the same chance of getting building permission as housing down the 1st on TOC
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:31 AM »
Mark Hissey
Is this the area you are referring to?

There is a lot of creative thinking going on in these 2020 Open threads but I suspect all of it to no avail.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Hissey

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 09:48:32 PM »
Yes Andrew. That's the one I was looking for.

Incredible land.

When you scroll north of that image you see hell on Earth at the Port Talbot steelworks.

South and east of it along the coastline is another lovely spot, just on the other side of the town of Porthcawl.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:50:23 PM by Mark Hissey »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back