News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: Best Charity Outings
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
has anyone ever heard about a charity outing at Seminole in the spring?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

ChipRoyce

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »

Hi Paul;
My understanding is that Seminole has 2 charity outings just after the course closes to members in May. One is held by the local Kiwanis Club, the other is a benefit for the Juno Beach Marine Life Center (Loggerhead Invitational). Both events are reputed to have waiting lists 10+ years just to secure a foursome.

Jud_T

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
There is a Chron's disease outing every year in June or July at Skokie Country Club.  Great event and a great cause.  I have played in it twice and had a great time both times.  I'll post the details when they become available..
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt Bosela

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 10:22:09 AM »
I haven't played it but the very private Sanctuary GC in Colorado is the king of the charity circuit.

http://www.sanctuarygolfcourse.com/documents/CharityTournament.pdf

I think I count 22 different events there in 2010.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
I do not play in any charity events any longer for the following reasons:

An on-line magazine rep asked me to dig this up last night and it looked marginally relevant to this thread.

SCRAMBLE TOURNAMENT
-GIB PAPAZIAN    

Your faithful scribe would like to announce his retirement from so-called "Scramble" tournaments.  You know the format: everybody hits a drive, pick the best one, then everybody hits from that spot.  After 20 odd years of paying lots of money to play other people's bad shots, I am done, finito - had it up to here.

It often starts out as a charity event you get guilted into - "a worthy cause" to establish a home for something like unwanted or neglected parakeets.  The tee prizes are always rock-hard Top-Flite golf balls and a cheap golf towel the size of a diaper.  This is paid for by the sale of "mulligans," which is an ancient Gaelic word roughly translated to mean "bad golfer who cheats a lot."

The company events are actually worse.  In my other life as a salesman, I get "invited" as a supplier to participate in lots of tournaments.  This means paying $500 for the privilege of sponsoring a five-some on a lousy golf course.

The final straw came when it occurred to me I have drawn the same partners in virtually in every event like some kind of outtake from the movie Groundhog Day. They are always smiling and waiting for me when I arrive at our assigned tee, invariably on the No. 1 handicap hole.

Let’s meet the main characters from the never-ending sit-com of my life:

Jack the Stud:  Big guy, powerful swing, always smoking an enormous cigar.  Will find a way to work into the conversation, even before the shotgun, that he once played minor league ball for the Expo's.  Big bag, big ego, drinks Bud by the gallon.  Carries a 16 handicap, plays to an 11. Always wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt.

Nervous Bill.  Tennis shorts, flaps on the shoes, Bill putts with one finger down the shaft with spikes worn down to nubs.  Quiet guy who chain smokes Marlboro Lights and plays with knock-off irons.  Wears a visor instead of a cap even though he has a bald spot.  Has a reverse-pivot and weak slice.

Uncle Joe: Older fellow, used to be a single digit, now plays to a 18. Plays the bump and run shot around the green and carries a Mizuno driver with a whippy shaft.  Last missed a fairway during the Eisenhower administration. He is your best cart companion.

Herb the hack: Plays twice a year, only in tournaments where he can inflict the most misery on his partners.  If it's a company tournament, he will be a V.P. and every single article of clothing and equipment will have a logo on it from a supplier. Herb is covered with so much advertising he looks like Emerson Fittipaldi and finding his ball is an 18-hole Easter egg hunt. He always steps in the putting line and never replaces his divots.

Regardless of the tournament, it is always the same group.  However, recognizing that the Scramble format will not go away just because I have retired, this week we present some strategy learned over these many irksome years.  Hopefully this will make the death-march more bearable.

Hint No.1: Pick a captain, and make sure it's you.      

Hint No.2: If you have to use everyone's drive at least twice, make sure you use up Herb's on the first nine if possible.  It takes discipline to not play a long blast from Jack, but if you wait too long you'll come to the last hole with no choice.  Short par-fives are a good spot because you can still make birdie with a good approach.

Hint No.3: Uncle Joe will wear a hole through his five-wood, but everyone else will rarely use enough stick on approach shots - especially Nervous Bill. He thinks he can fly a 7-iron 150 yards, but 130 is more like it.

Hint No.4: On par 5's, let's suppose one of you rips the second shot far beyond the best effort of Herb or Bill.  Instead of letting them take pointless chop at a 3-wood, encourage them to practice hitting a 5-wood or mid-iron straight.  This will be useful when they need to hit a tee shot.

Hint No.5: Unless it is a short putt, don't make Herb the first attempt.  It only confuses the issue when he hits a 20-foot putt 10 feet by the hole.  Uncle Joe is a good start as he normally has good lag-putting touch.  If it's a short putt, start with Herb as he might luck one in and feel like he has contributed something for a change.

Hint No.6: The shortest putt is not always the easiest.  Only two of you have a realistic chance with an eight-foot sidehill slider, but everyone has a chance to make that uphill 15 footer.

Hint No.7: When chipping from off the green, if there is any possibility for Herb or Bill to use a putter, insist that they do so.  Jack's ego makes him suggestion-proof, so don't bother.  Never try to teach a pig to sing . . . etc. etc.

Hint No.8: Never use a shot in a greenside bunker unless you are an exceptional sand player.

Hint No.9: Uncle Joe should hit first most of the time off the tee.  Otherwise he will try to kill the ball to keep up and destroy his rhythm.  You'll find very often that at the end of the day you used more of his drives than anyone, including Jack.

Hint No.10: Remember, the most successful teams are not the ones that make the most birdies, but the ones that don't give any shots back.

Sadly, even with this hard won wisdom, Team Groundhog always finishes fourth and the prize is invariably a Smokey Joe Barbeque. I have nine of them stacked in my garage if anyone wants to buy one cheap. Heck, I’ll even throw in a free golf towel with every purchase.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:07:22 PM by Gib Papazian »

Brian Potash

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
While I recognize my only contribution to this site appears to be finding good courses to play through charity, here goes again-

Maidstone 5/10/10 - $550.  The only difficult part is that it starts at 8:30 so not that easy to get to when travelling all the way out to the end of Long Island.  The lady in charge said the economy is so bad that the only way they could make $ on the event was to schedule the early tee time.  Anyway, I am very much looking forward to playing and then taking a nap sometime later in the day.

http://www.hamptons.com/calendar.php?month=4&year=2010

I played in the same event last year which was at Sebonac and more expensive by about double.  This year its at maidstone.  Benefits a worthy cause.

Incidentally there is an outing the next day at Sebonac for what looks like $800.  Not quite sure the charity.

Brian

Matt Bosela

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
Annual event at Oakmont benefiting St. Anthony's School.  What's better than playing one of the greatest courses in the world for a tremendous cause?  Nothing! :)

http://www.stanthonyschoolprograms.com/calendar.php

St. Anthony's School - Golf Outing

When: April 26, 2010
Time: 12:30 pm - shotgun start
Where: Oakmont Country Club

Information:

Join us for a great day of golf at the prestigious Oakmont Country Club. Registration is limited to the first 30 foursomes and includes lunch, greens fees and dinner. Registration fee is $3,200 ($800.00 per person) prior to March 31, 2010 and $4,000 starting on April 1, 2010.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »

Hi Paul;
My understanding is that Seminole has 2 charity outings just after the course closes to members in May. One is held by the local Kiwanis Club, the other is a benefit for the Juno Beach Marine Life Center (Loggerhead Invitational). Both events are reputed to have waiting lists 10+ years just to secure a foursome.

If you are interested in this event at Seminole, please PM me for information.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:06:50 PM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
Great Idea, thanks for posting it -- can it maybe get a sticky for a while??

Joe Bausch

Re: Best Charity Outings (Stonewall for Main Line Animal Rescue)
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
I think the following outing at Stonewall on May 24 to benefit the Main Line Animal Rescue will be wonderful. 

The sponsorship card is just a hoot!

The Main Line Animal Rescue is a 'no kill' shelter that does great things, but needs financial support.  One of our two cats, Zeppy, came from MLAR a while back:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 06:06:09 AM »
All the great Melbourne Sandbelt courses have Charity Golf Days - in fact I am pretty sure every good golf club in Australia runs a Charity day - and mostly for less than $300 per person.

Royal Melbourne Composite course is a good one!

http://www.ausgolf.com.au/charity-events

Brett
@theflatsticker

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »
I just came back from California and while I was out there I saw ads for a charity out at Stone Eagle and one for an outing at Riviera - I'm sure you can Google it and find them - unfortunately I didn't save the articles.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »
What is on the best charity outings slate for 2011?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »

Bill - The Creek Club outing was a fantastic event... and what a dinner!!! This is where I met most of you guys for the first time!

Is this happening any more? I seem to remember that it may have been discontinued after last year.
[/quote]
color=green]

Chip,

On June 20th, the Sam Waxman Cancer Research golf outing will be held at The Creek.

The Creek is special and they do a great job with charity events.

Jay,

Golfers against Cancer is a terrific organization.

I believe they also have certain times of year when they'll MATCH contributions made to the hosting local cancer facility

Mountain Ridge is also hosting a golf outing on June 20th to benefit Cancer Research by Dr Larry Norton of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

Specifically, Dr Norton has developed the "self seeding" theory relating to how cancer spreads, and how to stop it from spreading, rather than treating it once it has spread.

For more info on Dr Norton's theory and research go to:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0315/opinions-health-cancer-larry-norton-ideas-opinio... 2/25/2010

Or go to Forbes.com and look for:

Ideas & Opinions
The Mathematics Of Cancer
Robert Langreth, 03.15.10, 6:00 PM ET

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:32:22 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mark Hissey

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Sebonack gives five charity outings per year to local causes. I'd be happy to pass on their contact information to GCA'ers.

Emmy

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »
And there's "The Langley" Pro-Am, named in honor of Jim Langley, former head pro at CPC, and a dear friend to many in the world of golf.

This event is held annually in Nor Cal. Former venues include Meadow Club, Lake Merced G&CC and The Links at Spanish Bay.

The evening prior to tournament play, a golf legend is honored. Past dignitaries include Arnold Palmer, Ken Venturi and Tom Watson. The formal supper is typically followed by a fireside chat with the honoree.

Funds from the event benefit such worthy causes as the Savings Strokes Program, The Jim Langley Scholarship Fund and the Nor Cal PGA Foundation (with entry fees anywhere from $7,000 to $12,000 per team).

Steve Lapper

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:05 AM »
I am sponsoring an outing on behalf of The Crohns & Colitis Foundation at Somerset Hills this September 27th. We will be limited to 10 foursomes and will use a uniquely fun "Ryders Cup format" approach (courtesy of Mike Policano). Please feel free to contact me for details!

S
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Paul Jones

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
I use to play in the Alzheimer Charity Golf Tournament at Peachtree Golf Club every year when I lived in Atlanta.  It has been about 5 years, not sure if they still have it.  One of the members sponsored the event.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
Sebonack gives five charity outings per year to local causes. I'd be happy to pass on their contact information to GCA'ers.

Mark,  why don't you post the dates along with the name and contact info of the sponsoring charity.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted as I haven't looked through all the pages yet, but here's an opportunity to see MPCC for the America's Heroes Charity Golf Tournament.  It's every August.

http://www.npsfoundation.org/index.cfm/events.htm

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »
For those of you with fond memories of the Creek, I am guessing that was the outing to raise money for the Mill Neck Manor which is a school for Deaf and Autistic Kids on Long Island.

I have had the pleasure of playing the same outing several times with a friend who is a Creek member. Lots of fun, Great club and a great course.

I checked the Mill Neck Manor website and it appears they have moved the event to North Hills in Manhasset, NY.

SL_Solow

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »
As a reminder the Outing for the Sunshine Through Golf Foundation which brings golf to disabled children and war vets and has been doing so since 1945 is June  13 at Beverly Country Club in Chicago.  I cochair the event so anyone needing information should contact me. A great day on a wonderful course for a fine cause.

Brian Potash

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
Thought this might be of interest to some -  Brian

The Retreat is excited to announce that the 2011 Retreat Golf Classic will be held on Monday,

May 23rd at the prestigious Atlantic Golf Club in Bridgehampton, NY.   This is email is being sent to friends of the Retreat who have played in a previous Retreat Golf Outing and is an opportunity for you to reserve your spot now, as the field is limited to 88 players.  Official invites will not be mailed until the first week in March.  Attached is the registration form that can either be faxed or sent back via mail.  The schedule for the day will be as follows:

10:00am         Guests arrive at Atlantic

11:00am         Lunch/Brunch buffet opens

12:30pm         Shotgun Start

4:30pm           Dinner Buffet/Open Bar begins

Prizes Awarded

Live Auction

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Hope to see you again this year!

Jennifer Palmer
Development Director

The Retreat, Inc.
13 Goodfriend Drive
East Hampton, NY 11937
(631) 329-4398
FAX (631) 329-2944
www.theretreatinc.org

Where violence ends and hope begins

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
I wanted to let everyone know about an event for The Children's Advocacy Center (sexually and physically abused children) to be held Monday October 10th at The CC of Spartanburg (SC), 12 noon.

There is a previous photo thread on CCS.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47636.0.html

PM me if you have questions as my wife is on the CAC board.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back