News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Prince

Introduction & Question about St Andrews area courses
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:50:00 AM »
Hi everyone. I wanted to briefly introduce myself – I’ve been reading these boards for many years, and am excited to now be able to participate (long time, first time).  Thanks for having me.  Here’s a little info about me, and also a question I have for all of you.

I’m 35 years old and live in Brooklyn, NY with my wife and two young daughters, who I can’t wait to get out on the course. I work in finance. I have a deep love for golf, including course architecture and the history of the game. I’m a member at Quaker Ridge Golf Club outside NYC. I’m currently a 5.9 index.

I’ve had the privilege of playing a bunch of amazing golf courses … a few of my favorites off the top of my head, most of which I think are obvious: National, PV, Royal County Down, Turnberry, Ballybunion, Friar’s Head, Garden City. I love the whole Bandon experience and all the courses there. And I don’t think anything really compares to the Old Course … just a totally different animal. My bucket list is still pretty long though, as there are just so many great courses out there to play!

I’ve got a question for the group. I’m planning a Scotland trip with a group of buddies and we are planning on going into the lottery for the Old Course. If we don’t get on the Old Course, we’ll need to choose a different course in the St Andrews area to play for that round. We are already scheduled to play the New Course, Kingsbarns and Carnoustie.  Any suggestions in case we can’t get on Old?  Jubilee? Castle? Others?

Thanks much and I look forward to contributing to the discussions going forward!

Matt

Mark Pearce

Re: Introduction & Question about St Andrews area courses
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:10:31 AM »
Matt,

Welcome.  There are a number of threads around asking this question, or at least answering it!  After the courses you are already playing I would suggest Elie, Lundin Links and Leven Links ahead of the Jubilee or Castle.  There's also Crail.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:04:20 AM »
Welcome Matt and +1 to Mark's recommendations.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:11:55 AM »
Welcome aboard.

You will have no problem getting on the Links Trusts other courses. Two years ago we could walk on Jubilee , and the New easily. Figure on having lunch and playing Crail. It really is a treat, both courses are good, the food excellent and the views are really cool.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
Matt the New Course is superb I'd play a second round there, you'll get a better understanding of a very solid links course.
Cave Nil Vino

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
Good suggestions so far.  You really have two choices golf-wise:

1.  Play the Jubilee, Eden, or Castle.  J and E are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.  The Jubilee is long and relatively penal, while not being terrible.  The Eden is shorter and forgiving, with some fun holes.  There are some on here that love the Eden to quite a high degree.  The Castle is far from the house of horrors that some have called it, but it's not everybody's cup of tea.  Personally, I enjoyed playing it to see if I agreed/disagreed with the criticism.  I fell slightly on the side of enjoyment!

2.  Play a "local" course.  Leven/Lundin/Crail/Elie (I have not played the Crail courses or Elie) will give you a good local flavor (flavour?), and a bit of an insight to how the locals play.  St. A's/Carnoustie/Kingsbarns are all great, but they are big names full of visitors.  The local places are totally worth it.  We had a great Scotland trip back in 2011, and played many of the big ones.  But, one of my favorite rounds was at Tain with my brother...no welcome kit, no spiel on the first tee, just "the first tee's around back, go for it lads."  The big names are great, and the welcome is always nice, but a couple local rounds are a must too.

3.  Drink with some St. A's coeds? 
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris DeToro

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »
If you don't get on the Old Course and need a replacement for that, for which there really is none, I'd recommend taking a little road trip either up to Aberdeen or down to Edinburgh and playing around there.  It's been a while since I've been there, but I believe you could still walk up if you don't get in through the lottery, you just have to be willing to split up

K Rafkin

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
Elie is without a doubt one of the coolest courses in Fife, and given your lineup its the clear choice in my mind.  Even if you do get on the Old Course you should still make an effort to play Elie if you can.

There are still plenty of ways to get onto the Old Course though.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
It is easily done, but try not to dismiss Gleneagles Kings because its an inland course.  In my experience it is one of the top inland courses in the UK and comfortably top 25...nothing I have seen inland is clearly better. 

Like Brad...I think The Castle is far better than folks give it credit for, but its pricey for what you get. 

Unlike most, I like The New, but I am not a big fan.  There are two outstanding holes, but much of the course is defined by fairways playing down corridors of gorse.  Still, I prefer it to The Castle. 

Never played Elie cuz Pearce doesn't invite me  ;) , but lots of people I trust think highly of the course.  I will let you know next month.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Irrespective of which 18-hole courses you may play the Himalayas putting green at St Andrews should not be missed.
Atb

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 01:38:30 PM »
You are never stuck for golf in St Andrews.

Consider also playing either course at Fairmont St Andrews (also know as St Andrews Bay). The Torrance course is popular, but the Kittocks Course is preferred by others.

For a parkland experience in St Andrews, you have The Dukes Course (owned by The Old Course Hotel).

Scott

Matthew Prince

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Thank you all for the replies to the board and the direct responses I have received. I very much appreciate it. It seems like I've got a lot of good choices.

Tyler Page

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »
Do Elie for sure and then stop at the chippy in Anstruther on the way back.

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
Matthew - you may also want to consider Gullane or North Berwick or both.  It is a two hour drive but well worth it.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
The Eden is your one and only chance to experience some of Harry Colt's magic whilst in St Andrews.
Ignore the crap new holes on it and revel in the genius routing, use of natural and man-made features, the crossing par threes and the price!
Not to be missed for the architecture geek.
If you have time to get over to Leven, I am happy to host if possible.
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Alex Miller

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
Elie without a doubt. Anstruther Fish Co as well.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 01:58:49 AM »
Elie without a doubt. Anstruther Fish Co as well.

Good suggestion as is Crail and make sure you play all the ST. Andrews links.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 10:33:16 AM »
Matthew,

When are you going and how many are in your party?  Just curious.
#nowhitebelt

Matthew Prince

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 06:42:21 AM »
Again, thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and direct emails. A lot of very generous people on this site with their insight, time and even willingness to host me at their home course! I am really appreciative.

Jeff - the trip is not until 2017 (just trying to get all my ducks in a row) and it will likely be for 12 guys, though possibly 8.

Matt

Andy Shulman

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
I'll cast another vote for Elie, the Eden course or Crail.  All fun, all unique and all more of a challenge than the yardage on the scorecard would suggest.  While a trip to North Berwick should definitely be on that bucket list of yours, a four-hour round trip drive makes for one very long day.  With so many fabulous courses with 20 minutes of St. Andrews, save the time and the fuel and tee it up at a course that the locals actually play!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 05:16:20 PM »
Some obscure ideas, though not all right at St. Andrews:

Panmure, near Carnoustie.
Goswick, upper east coast of England
Crude Bay, above St. Andrews

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

James Brown

Re: Introduction & Question about St Andrews area courses New
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:21:00 PM by James Brown »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back