News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: OT: USA roadtrip
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 10:58:45 AM »
Crop irrigation systems.

Center-pivot irrigation systems. Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_pivot_irrigation

Thnakns, Dan.  I always thought their purpose was to water crops, rather than the central pivot.  You learn something new every day....(insert gormless emoticon here)

Rich

Rihc --

You're weloclome.

As you know, the American West is a strange and wondrous place. They grow the World's Largest Central Pivots right there in northeastern Colorado.

Which reminds me to tout another fine book -- by an expatriate Brit, as it happens: "Bad Land," by Jonathan Raban.

I remember hearing him describe the book, in a radio interview, as "a classic American tale of seduction and betrayal."

Dan
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:05:31 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Lou_Duran

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Scott,

I've been to all those places and most of them are very nice.  But if you want to see the "real America", fly non-stop to Dallas, rent a premium car from Enterprise, and tour maybe half the Lone Star state during your 4-5 weeks.  If you love Aus, you'll feel right at home in Texas.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »
Crop irrigation systems.

Center-pivot irrigation systems. Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_pivot_irrigation

What is this, a cover up?  Everybody knows those are blast circles from alien space ship landings over 10,000 years ago.

Or maybe not.  ;)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
Crop irrigation systems.

What is this, a cover up?  Everybody knows those are blast circles from alien space ship landings over 10,000 years ago.

Or maybe not.  ;)

Bill -- delete that post -- you are not supposed to talk about such things to non-believers!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
Scott -- it is too bad that you won't be able to time your visit to San Francisco to attend the President's Cup, which is in the beginning of October.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kirk Gill

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »
I've spoken a bit with Mr. Warren off-line, but I did want to post one item regarding train travel in the west. I totally agree that the trains from Chicago, Dallas, or Phoenix to Denver wouldn't amaze with scenic beauty or, necessarily, opportunities to see some sights worth seeing. However, the California Zephyr train going west from Denver is worthy travel. If you have the right kind of ticket you can get on and off at various places, and stay as long as you want before getting back on (or at least you used to be able to, I'd check into it). Winter Park (skiing and winter sports), Granby (access to the Grand Lake area and the Western side of Rocky Mountain National Park if Trail Ridge Road hasn't already been closed by snow), on through beautiful Glenwood Canyon to Glenwood Springs (fantastic Hot Springs resort and access to Aspen), Grand Junction (Western Slope access and Colorado National Monument), then to Green River, Utah (with the amazing Arches National Park nearby).

I can't say TOO much about the rest of the trip, but other locales like Salt Lake City, Reno, and Tahoe are on or near the route, and you end up in San Francisco.

I've taken the trip myself, and slept through most of Western Utah and Navada, but it was a most worthy expedition. Again, I must stress if you are traveling via Amtrak - BRING FOOD.

Cheers,

P.S. regarding the circles pictured below. If you set google maps to the correct resolution and look at the pattern made by those circles just right........after a while they resolve into a 3-d picture of John Denver. No, really!
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Scott Warren

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »
I'll be a year later than that, Kevin, I'm planning for 2010.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
As one who has lived all over the West Coast, I too can concur that driving from Utah to Vegas is totally worth it.  Make sure to hit the Moab area, specifically Arches and Canyonlands.  Then continue south to the Grand Canyon as that is not to be missed either.

I do think Vegas is worth seeing at least once.  Drive up and down the strip a few times at night, hit a few tables and take it all in.  But I wouldn't personally spend more than a day there.

Then once you hit California, I couldn't more highly recommend driving Hwy 1 up thru San Francisco and even on to Northern Oregon.  Along the way you can hit the Hearst Mansion, stop off for lunch in Big Sur, do 17 mile drive in Monterey, drive thru the old growth redwoods north of Santa Cruz, hit San Fran and all its delights, etc, etc.  You could easily spend a week just doing this portion of it....

Then continue driving along 101 from true Northern California all the way to the Washington State line... its beyond sublime...just drop dead gorgeous.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Then once you hit California, I couldn't more highly recommend driving Hwy 1 up thru San Francisco and even on to Northern Oregon.  Along the way you can hit the Hearst Mansion, stop off for lunch in Big Sur, do 17 mile drive in Monterey, drive thru the old growth redwoods north of Santa Cruz, hit San Fran and all its delights, etc, etc.  You could easily spend a week just doing this portion of it....

Then continue driving along 101 from true Northern California all the way to the Washington State line... its beyond sublime...just drop dead gorgeous.

Agree with Kalen on all of that... just one caveat... if you do this, allow a LOT of time.  These are not interstate highways, let's just say.

TH

Scott Warren

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
It's surprising the north-west is not more well known as a spectacular destination, if it's as good as you all are are saying.

Rather than doing San Fran to Portland by car, would it be worth flying to Boise and driving west then north once we hit the Pacific?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:34:15 PM by Scott Warren »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »
It's surprising the north-west is not more well known as a spectacular destination, if it's as good as you all are are saying.

Rather than doing San Fran to Portland by car, would it be worth flying to Boise and driving west then north once we hit the Pacific?

You can't beat the Pacific Coast Highway.

Anthony

ed_getka

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
Scott,
   One reason the northwest doesn't get the raves is the RAIN. Primarily from Portland on up from what I have gathered over the years. It is generally drizzly (seemingly most of the time), but you can catch great days. October is really the absolute best time to do this trip from a weather standpoint for all the places you are talking about going. May be time for a little armtwisting. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »

Scott,

As a general rule the entire west, outside of the desert found in Nevada/Eastern Oregon, and Southern Idaho is pretty epic and worth driving to see.

As for flying into Boise and driving north and west of there, I would say thats a relativly bad idea.

Your best best, in my humble opinion would look something like:

1)  Fly into Denver, check the place out a bit.
2)  From there drive West on to Hwy 70 until you hit Hwy 6 which leads you into Moab where Canyonlands and Arches are.  This is epic country.
3)  After, drive South on 6 and make your way over to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon as the North Rim will likely already be closed by then.
4)  Continue south to Flagstaff where you come to your first decision.  You can either continue South to the Phoneix area and have a look around, or head west over to Vegas.  I've only been to Arizona a time or two so don't have any recommendations down that way.
5)  Assuming you head over to Vegas, make sure to check out the Hoover Dam and spend at least a night on the strip.  It should be experinced at least one for its sensory overload even if its not your cup of tea.
6)  At this point, head West out to the LA area and spend as much time there seeing whatever gets your interest.
7) Once done there, head north on 101 going thru Santa Barbara and Solvang.  Continue up thru Santa Maria onto San Louis Obsipo.  Make sure to jump over to 1 and take the coastal rode up to Monterey....its a great drive.
8)  Once you hit Monterey, so many things to do, but whatever you do don't miss 17 mile drive...its the nicest stretch of coastline on the whole trip IMO.
9)  Continue up 1 till you hit San Franciso and there is a whole world of things to do there.
10)  From there I'd continue on Hwy 1 all the way thru Bodega Bay and Fort Bragg, even though its a pretty remote stretch.
11)  Eventually you'll hook on to hwy 101 that will take you all the way thru Oregon.
12) So many options here...you can jump off to go catch a flight in Portland or continue on up to Seattle.

Steps 7 thru 11 on this trip could be done in 5-6 days imo and still be able take in alot of the interesting sites along the way.  But it could just as easily be stretched out to two weeks with plenty to do as well.

I can say this though, if you do nothing else out West, don't pass on the coastal trip, that is unless you easily tire of two lane winding roads.....

ed_getka

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
As a matter of fact if you hit Northern California in October I seriously doubt you will even make it back to Australia. ;D
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »
Scott,

Here is a potential 2 week itinerary where you get to see lots, drive the whole way, but still have plenty of down time days as well to do whatever.

Day 1 - Arrive Denver, check out the city.
Day 2 - Drive to Moab, arrive in late afternoon for Canyonlands, best viewed in sunset hrs.
Day 3 - Vist Arches, best in morning light, drive to Grand Canyon arrive for Sunset.
Day 4 - View Grand Canyon in morning, drive to Vegas and spend afternoon/evening on Strip
Day 5 - After hangover, drive to LA.  ;D
Day 6 - Do the LA thing.
Day 7 - Leave LA, drive to Monterey via 101
Day 8 - Do Monterey, Big Sur, and 17 mile drive in waning hours. In evening drive from Monterey to San Fran.
Day 9 - Do the San Fran thing.
Day 10 - Drive From San Fran to Fort Bragg via Hwy 1.
Day 11 - Drive Fort Bragg to Bandon.
Day 12 - Play 2 courses at resort.
Day 13 - Perhaps another round at resort, then Drive to Portland.
Day 14 - Take a look around Portland, Columbia Gorge, and then evening flight out.

Scott Warren

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
Okay, here it is: The GCA tribe cross-country US tour!

All input processed and discussed - some of it discarded (but surprisingly little). I showed Kerry this thread and she was amazed at the length and detail of the advice and offers for assistance. She sends her thanks.

Thanks again to all, so how does this look?

Drive Toronto > NYC via New England - 7 days inc. NYC
Train NYC > Philly > DC - 3 days
Fly DC > Chicago - 2 days
Fly Chicago > Birmingham Alabama, drive to Miami via GA and SC - 3/4 days
Beach in Miami - 3 days
Fly Miami > Dallas - 2 days
Fly Dallas > Denver - 3 days in Colorado
Train Denver > Salt Lake City - 2 days
Drive SLC > Portland via Sedona, Phoenix, San Diego, LA, Monterey, San Fran - 14 days.

Red - drive
grey - fly
black - train

Plan is to plan and book the detinations at either end of each leg, and play it by ear in between, allowing us to divert to places that look good.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:37:03 PM by Scott Warren »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
Looks pretty darn cool to me... and I say this as the world's greatest California homer... I just remain unsure the ENTIRE left coast is required.  But that might just be a function of large-scale map... stick to Kalen's itin for the details after Denver and you are rocking.

Looks like Dan Kelly's ideas got dismisssed, too... oh well, this is a HUGE country and there is just plain no way to see it all without absolutely unlimited time.

TH
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:29:16 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »

Looks great. All you need now is a station wagon with wood on the side and Chevy Chase as your driver.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »

Looks great. All you need now is a station wagon with wood on the side and Chevy Chase as your driver.

Anthony

But of course... and you do make sure to see Wally World.

Chris Garrett

« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »
Scott,

This link is to a NY Times story about scenic train travel in the US:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?hp

Scott Warren

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »
Scott,

This link is to a NY Times story about scenic train travel in the US:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?hp

The section of Nebraska that train goes through (looks south west and central on the map), is that through the sand hills?

If so it could be worth flying to Omaha and starting the train trip there instead of Denver, maybe?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
I have no answer for you re trains through the Sand Hills....

But a question did arise in my mind - is COST a consideration?  What you contemplate will NOT be cheap, any part of it.. flights, trains, rental car drop-offs.... and how are you gonna do accomodations?  That may change the routing ideas....

Apologies if this has already been addressed.

TH

Scott Warren

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
It hasn't been addressed yet Tom. That is the next step (some may say it should have been the first step!). But this is something we have both wanted to do for some time, so we are willing to spend decent money to make it happen, which is why we are planning so far in advance.

I have priced some of the plane trips and car rentals and certain bits were chaper than I imagined.

It helps that we will be doing our saving here in the UK, earning one of the few currencies that translates well to the US$.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2009, 03:36:46 PM »
It hasn't been addressed yet Tom. That is the next step (some may say it should have been the first step!). But this is something we have both wanted to do for some time, so we are willing to spend decent money to make it happen, which is why we are planning so far in advance.

I have priced some of the plane trips and car rentals and certain bits were chaper than I imagined.

It helps that we will be doing our saving here in the UK, earning one of the few currencies that translates well to the US$.

Excellent!

You will find that some places here are crazy-expensive in terms of lodging.... New York City for example... but it sounds like you have it all under control. The concern I had was drop-off fees for rental cars... shop around and you can likely avoid such.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
Scott,

Looks like a fantastic trip.  I would comment on one leg of it.  If time isn't a consideration, then its no big deal to take the train, but if so, Denver to SLC can be easily driven in 9 hrs as opposed to two days on the train.

And if your just going to rent a car from SLC anyways and start driving south from there, you could save even more time by renting the car from Denver and making your way to Arizona via Eastern Utah.

Good luck!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back