News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: OT: USA roadtrip
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »
Looks like Dan Kelly's ideas got dismisssed, too...

I'm accustomed to that, Tom.

After all, as you will note, I am a Party of One!

Scott -- Read "Cross Country," anyway.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott Warren

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »
C'mon Dan, it was just part of your suggestion I ignored. I did take some of it on board ;D

Jason McNamara

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »
Scott -

I'd say San Antonio > Dallas/Ft. Worth (not for golf, though), bummer you're missing New Orleans, and I don't know what's in Miami that you can't find in Gold Coast.  Cuban food?  (I'd also note that the gulf side of Florida has some wonderful beaches.)

Did you give any thought to Toronto -> Montreal -> Boston?  You're pretty much going to be right there.

But the only thing to really change is to take a bus from Boston to NYC.  Roads in the northeast cities are over-crowded, often poorly marked, and have lousy recovery options if you miss your exit.

Scott Warren

« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
Planning to start in Toronto, Jason, and if it can be done money-wise, we will go to Vancouver after Portland.

The exact path between destinations is still fluid, so gulf side of Florida could easily be done rather than  Atlantic side.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
Tremendous Itinerary! I think you made some great changes!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
FWIW, Vancouver is a terrific city (top 8 in North America, IMHO), and it would be absolutely worthwhile if you can get there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:40 PM »
FWIW, Vancouver is a terrific city (top 8 in North America, IMHO), and it would be absolutely worthwhile if you can get there.

CArl,

Assuming your referencing Vancouver, BC as opposed to Vancouver, WA...I'm curious by what criteria you would call it top 8?

Housing, schools, traffic, strip bars?   ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
If you are flying from Chicago, I would still recommend Nashville over Birmingham.  It is less than a 3 hour drive between the two, so you can still make the drive down to Florida.  Nashville has some culture.  Birmingham has ????????  Well, not a whole lot of anything.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2009, 06:19:25 AM »
Kalen:
Yup, Vancouver, BC; I was talking about cities to visit as a tourist.  Vancouver is a beautiful city with great scenery (and very close to amazing scenery); lots of stuff to do, indoors and outdoors; good restaurants (including great Asian food); and good nightlife (though this is less relevant to me now).  My personal top 8 *cities* in North America to visit as a tourist, especially someone not from N.A. are (not in order):  New York; Boston; Washington; Los Angeles; New Orleans; Chicago; San Francisco; Vancouver. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:58:15 AM by Carl Nichols »

R_Paulis

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »
Hello Scott - really enjoyed following the thread and it's great to see how the trip is developing. This December we just drove back and forth across the US for the first time and had a blast. Here's my "humble" advice from a seasoned US traveler that has been to 48 states, all major NA cities and nearly all US towns/cities with universities:

Fly Chicago to Memphis or Nashville. Birmingham may be inexpensive, but the other two have a variety of sights versus limited options in Birmingham. One of the best driving sections of my recent trip was going from Nashville thru the Smokey Mtns to Asheville, NC. Then heading towards Charleston and then Savannah.
-I may catch hell for this, but I would suggest spending more time in the Southeast (New Orleans, Charleston)over Dallas. Always disappointed the many times I've been to Dallas.
-Someone suggested a bus from Boston to NYC - don't do it. Maybe a train but not a bus.
-Savannah to Miami - not that exciting of a drive.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:09:31 AM by R_Paulis »

Jason McNamara

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2009, 06:29:09 AM »

-Someone suggested a bus from Boston to NYC - don't do it. Maybe a train but not a bus.

It's not the creaky old Peter Pan buses these days.  Either a Chinatown bus if you feel lucky, or one of the new more standard coaches (Bolt Bus, Megabus).  The train is at least 2x the cash, more like 5x for the Acela.

Otherwise I agree with Rob's points.

Scott Warren

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »
Looks like the flight to Nashville might be worth looking into.  Also might make more sense that way so I can hit Augusta to take up a GCAers kind offer of a hit at ACC en route to Savannah.

R_Paulis

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Looks like the flight to Nashville might be worth looking into.  Also might make more sense that way so I can hit Augusta to take up a GCAers kind offer of a hit at ACC en route to Savannah.

Scott - a few more random thoughts:

A Nashville/Memphis starting point to do a loop around the Southeast is a great decision.

I think Miami is one of the great US cities, but unless you really have a reason for going all the way down there, not sure if the drive is really worth it. Florida is a really long state without much visual diversity, and some of its cities (ie Orlando) are really not worth visiting.

If you cut out Miami or Dallas (blech again), then I would hit New Orleans on your southern loop. Even after the disaster, it's a culturally fascinating place.

If you must get a taste of Texas, then Austin or San Antonio are the better choices, but both are probably not the best to fly into.

I have driven your Denver to Vegas trip in the past and doing it again at the end of March. As you might realize the Salt Lake southward drive is just OK until you get to the Nevada border - the landscape and its rock formations are just stunning. Let me know if you want feedback on hotels or sights from Denver to Vegas. Just got back from a Vegas trip last week and the hotel prices are insanely cheap as the economy free falls.

Be prepared for the Los Angeles traffic. IMHO it's the worst in the country for LA is so large and spread out you could be stuck in it for "days". We live on the coast north of LA so feel free to drop me a note should you want to share a pint or two as you work your way up the west coast.

Finally, everyone should drive PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) towards Monterrey at least once for the views are world class. If you're worn out driving (and you may be by that time), please note the road is very curvy for a very long distance so you may want to consider an inland route.

The car rental choice is important given all the driving you have planned. A larger vehicle is recommended for comfort and safety. I have rented my share of smaller vehicles over the last year and the savings on the rental cost and fuel is not worth it. Although you are going to be hammered on charges for one way rentals. If you use the large rental chains (Hertz, Avis, etc.) then be sure to get something like the Ford Edge - it's a crossover between a car and an SUV.

Finally, purchase a GPS device (I prefer the Garmin brand). Most car rentals offer it as an option, but sometimes they sell out of cars equipped with GPS. You may want to buy one (less than $200 USD) when you get to the US for they are often country or region specific.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:08:31 PM by R_Paulis »

Scott Warren

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »
I can't tell you all how much I appreciate this, guys. Perhaps there's room for GCA to diversify and take on Lonely Planet and Frommers, hell even Bill Bryson!

James Bennett

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

The car rental choice is important given all the driving you have planned. A larger vehicle is recommended for comfort and safety. I have rented my share of smaller vehicles over the last year and the savings on the rental cost and fuel is not worth it. Although you are going to be hammered on charges for one way rentals. If you use the large rental chains (Hertz, Avis, etc.) then be sure to get something like the Ford Edge - it's a crossover between a car and an SUV.

Finally, purchase a GPS device (I prefer the Garmin brand). Most car rentals offer it as an option, but sometimes they sell out of cars equipped with GPS. You may want to buy one (less than $200 USD) when you get to the US for they are often country or region specific.

+1 Scott

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

R_Paulis

« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
I can't tell you all how much I appreciate this, guys. Perhaps there's room for GCA to diversify and take on Lonely Planet and Frommers, hell even Bill Bryson!

Bill Bryson - one of my favorite authors. And mentioning this got me hired for a gig in London and a "date" with a lady from Iowa . The BB question for my Oz friend is what's the difference between the US and the AUS versions of Bryson's  book on Australia?

James Bennett

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »

Bill Bryson - one of my favorite authors. And mentioning this got me hired for a gig in London and a "date" with a lady from Iowa . The BB question for my Oz friend is what's the difference between the US and the AUS versions of Bryson's  book on Australia?

about $10 I think.   ;D
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »
Scott:

The NYT just ran this article about cross-country rail travel.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?scp=1&sq=rail&st=cse

Chris Garrett

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »
Scott,

Saw this link this morning, featuring a slide-show of the 25 most visited attractions in the US last year:

http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/most-visited-attractions-us-2009-slide-1.html?partner=playlist&thisSpeed=25000

Scott Warren

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »
Thanks for the links guys. Smokey Mountains look amazing.

Scott Warren

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
But Miami is worth going to? As in, forget the drive and maybe fly to Miami from Savannah?

Of course that would cross TPC Sawgrass off my list. But that's not a dealbreaker.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
Scott:
IMHO, someone who wants to experience as much of the U.S. as possible should go *somewhere* in Florida to experience it (the good and the bad).  I think Miami is the most interesting of the Florida cities, and you should be able to get good flights out of Miami to your next destination.
But you'll also experience Florida if you go to Jacksonville (and perhaps other places nearby, like Daytona.)

jeffwarne

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »
Not a fan of Florida golf (not really a fan of TPC either) but....
If you're travelling in November (particularly late)
the weather in the east could be poor enough to suck the fun out of the golf (even as far south as Augusta)
so you might want to drive to Miami to catch something (TPC etc.)
along the way(because the golf in Miami certainly isn't worth driving OR flying for)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2009, 11:18:14 AM »
Scott,

If you are going in October/November, I'd highly encourage you to go down the eastern side of the Blue Ridge (DC, Charlottesville, Asheville, etc.) on you way to Nashville and the Deep South.  The scenery (leaves changing) and weather (best time of the year) will be spectacular at that time.  There really isn't a better time to play golf in the Carolinas than October.  Its generally dry, with perfect temps and fast greens.

R_Paulis

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »
But Miami is worth going to? As in, forget the drive and maybe fly to Miami from Savannah?

Of course that would cross TPC Sawgrass off my list. But that's not a dealbreaker.

Miami is one of the most distinctive American cities. Its Latin American, and more specifically Cuban influences, are pervasive and cannot really be found anywhere else in the US. If you're a fan of architecture, Miami is the art deco capital, but it is a bit overdone. As a very early settled US city, there's plenty of history, but the city feels quite modern and certain sections are packed with the young and good looking. I have forgotten what time of year you're tour de US is, but if you're visiting during the winter, Southern Florida looks and feels tropical and is one of the few places you're likely to have "beach weather" in the US. The water is much clearer than anywhere else in the continental US and is likely to be warmer.

Since I think this is a golf discussion board, I'll add that Doral is the only course I've played in the area. I am not a fan but there is some history to the Blue Monster...

OK, to answer your question about flying into Miami... It does seem a bit disjointed to fly into and out of Miami so I am inclined to say I would take a pass and spend some more time in the South. I might change my mind on Miami for I am headed there next week for a business trip.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:36:41 AM by R_Paulis »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back