News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Garrett

Is there a place for another golf organization?
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
In asking this question, I am referring specifically to the game and the state of golf in the US. 

The game of golf has given birth to innumerable organizations, associations, and societies throughout the country with missions both wide and narrow.  Is there a place for yet another one?  Are there gaps/areas of the game that are not yet being addressed, researched, properly looked after?  And, is there a need to provide a counter balance and another voice to such grand institutions as the USGA and the PGA of America?

I'll leave it at that, hoping not to narrow the scope of discussion with too many questions.

Greg Chambers

Re: Is there a place for another golf organization?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
no
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »
Of course...to be able to challenge the USGA? Maybe not, but there are always room for more as long as there is interest.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »
How about the Anti-Veblen Goffers of America, based in Moorpark, CA, with Tommy Naccers CEO.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »
How about an organization that promotes family golf as a means of inculcating the value of golf to the next generation?

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
How about an organization that promotes family golf as a means of inculcating the value of golf to the next generation?

Now that is interesting.
H.P.S.

Ian Larson

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »

Super idea, I really like that

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

Bradley,

Is this a trick question? Women and Kids don't belong on the course.  Such organization already exists....its the PPGAA

Putt-Putt Golf Association of America.... ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:58:30 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ian Larson

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
HAHA...

I definetely agree about the women.

What about an association to prevent womens outings, something along the lines of "NO M'AM" a la Ed Bundy.

SL_Solow

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »
Actually, there are any number of organizations that promote junior golf and not just competitve golf as promoted by the AJGA.  An example is the Hook a kid On Golf Foundation.  If we get our kids involved, the family play will follow.  Those organizations need more volunteers and money; not more organizations competing to provide the same service.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »
Actually, there are any number of organizations that promote junior golf and not just competitve golf as promoted by the AJGA.  An example is the Hook a kid On Golf Foundation.  If we get our kids involved, the family play will follow.  Those organizations need more volunteers and money; not more organizations competing to provide the same service.

exactly
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »
Yes, there are other organizations doing that kind of work and you would be suprised, I would guess, by the amount of funding from the USGA upon which they rely to achieve their goals.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »
This thread struck me in a different way.  Will there be enough growth  of the game in Asia to spawn someting like the Chinese Golf Association?   If the game takes off there, I doubt they will want to the second fiddle to the westerners.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back