News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: MPCC
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »
I can think of a few other clubs (CP, Augusta, Merion) where I would probably rather play their one course twice. But that isn't in disrespect to MPCC.

I thought Merion has two courses.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »
From where I sit, which happens to be NYC, and without any 1st hand knowledge about the place, I have come the following conclusion . . .

There can not possibly be a better CC to  belong to in the entire world than MPCC.

2 courses, magnificient setting, amazing weather, beautiful part of the country . . .
-Ted

Ted:
Talk about hitting the nail on the head.  MPCC is beyond spectacular.
Best
Dave

Dave_Miller

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
I can think of a few other clubs (CP, Augusta, Merion) where I would probably rather play their one course twice. But that isn't in disrespect to MPCC.

Jim:
Merion does have two courses - East and West.  The West course is good but really not in a league with the East.
Best
Dave

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »
Having seen a bunch of pictures of MPCC, it's hard for me to imagine where else I would rather belong as well.  The closest competitor  can think of would probably be The Greenbrier Sporting Club.  I haven't played that ultra-private Fazio course, but I have heard that members there also have access to the other three courses at The Greenbrier, as well as the very good practice facility there.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »

I stand corrected  :)
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
In all seriousness, open year-round rather settles this for me.. that is in a competition between great clubs, give me the one open year-round.  So bye bye Augusta, Merion, NGLA, Shinnecock, etc.....

Those will fill out my 14 club limit.  MPCC is home club.

In this dreamworld, of course.

;D

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
In all seriousness, open year-round rather settles this for me.. that is in a competition between great clubs, give me the one open year-round.  So bye bye Augusta, Merion, NGLA, Shinnecock, etc.....

;D

If the coldest winter is a summer in San Francisco, what is a summer in Monterey?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »

;D

If the coldest winter is a summer in San Francisco, what is a summer in Monterey?

Open for golf.
 ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

;D

I would take Forest Creek in Pinehurst for best year round clubs.
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
Pat - never even heard of that, but I trust you.  There is a world outside of California, for sure.  I just don't tend to see it much anymore.

;D

rjsimper

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »

2 great courses, beautiful facility, but Forest Creek is not year round like MPCC is year round.  And, while the courses are excellent, sorry, but Carolina Pines have nothing on Monterey Sea Lions.  (Take it from a guy who moved from CA to NC)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »
Royal Melbourne might give some world competition. 

Ted Kramer

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »
Ted:
Over CPC?  Is it having 36 holes that does it for you? 

36 holes certainly has a lot to do with it.
And for whatever reason, amongst the truly revered clubs, CPC just doesn't really do it for me. There are lots of courses I'd choose to play ahead of CPC. I hope that my comments aren't read as disrespectful, because I'm certainly not trying to be . . .

-Ted

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 02:46:40 PM »
Ted - disrespect is what makes the GCA world go round.

;D

By that I mean.. what the heck, it's all just fun talk, and to each his own without a doubt.

But I am interested in what parts of CPC don't jazz you.. or perhaps identification of the "lots" of courses you speak about.... also curious if this is speaking from afar, or if you have played it....

None of it is adversarial.  I sure as heck have zero ties to that great club, though I am an unabashed CA homer.  Thus I have it as my personal #2 or 3 depending on whims... and I do like to learn from others, hear other perspectives.

PCCraig

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

2 great courses, beautiful facility, but Forest Creek is not year round like MPCC is year round. 

You're right...it rains less.
H.P.S.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »
Ted - disrespect is what makes the GCA world go round.

;D

By that I mean.. what the heck, it's all just fun talk, and to each his own without a doubt.

But I am interested in what parts of CPC don't jazz you.. or perhaps identification of the "lots" of courses you speak about.... also curious if this is speaking from afar, or if you have played it....

None of it is adversarial.  I sure as heck have zero ties to that great club, though I am an unabashed CA homer.  Thus I have it as my personal #2 or 3 depending on whims... and I do like to learn from others, hear other perspectives.

Tom,

I've never played the course, I'm definitely speaking from afar, very afar.
I don't like the look of the bunkers, too style-ized.
I can't get that excited about the par 3 over the water that everyone seems to love.
Is it the 18th with that "tree tunnel"?

Now with all that being said, it is probably somewhere on my top 20 dream list. But courses that I've never played that I'd put ahead of it without a second thought are . . .

Fishers
NGLA
Merion
Maidstone
Pine Valley
Oakmont
Sand Hills
TOC
North Berwick
Royal County Down
Portrush
Dornoch
Royal Melbourne
Mid Ocean
Macrihanish

-Ted

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
Pat,

Do I understand you to say that Pinehurst rains less than Pebble?

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
Ted:

That is all very fair.  But the key is at least you have it as Top 20.  Put it much outside of that and we have a nice war.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »

2 great courses, beautiful facility, but Forest Creek is not year round like MPCC is year round. 

And the weather is usually between 60-80.
And its right on the ocean.
And its right next to several other world class courses.
And its located on perhaps the finest meeting of water and land in the world.
And the local cuisine is also "world-class"

Ok I'll stop now, this could be a long response....  ;)

Ted Kramer

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »
Ted:

That is all very fair.  But the key is at least you have it as Top 20.  Put it much outside of that and we have a nice war.

;D

I couldn't/wouldn't put it much outside of a top 20 or so due in part to the amount of respect I have for everyone who gushes over it. . . . I'm sure it is magnificient. After all, at the level of top 20 or so, you're still talking about the very best of the best as far as I'm concerned.

-Ted

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »
Ted:

I have yet to meet or hear from any guest at CPC outside of contrarian Goodale who did anything but gush about the experience.  But yes, the same can likely be said for all of these top-20 type courses... thus our preferences among such will come down to what jazzes one particularly.

So we're good.

;D

PCCraig

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »

And the weather is usually between 60-80.
And its right on the ocean.
And its right next to several other world class courses.
And its located on perhaps the finest meeting of water and land in the world.
And the local cuisine is also "world-class"

Ok I'll stop now, this could be a long response....  ;)

You guys should of read my first post better. I said "I would" not "Everyone should"...it was a personal statement. I already said I have never been to MPCC, but of all the year round 36 hole clubs...that is MY choice.
H.P.S.

rjsimper

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »

I spent 10 minutes this morning scraping ice off my windshield, and on Monday I couldn't go in until Noon due to the snow and ice.  Somehow I don't think that happens on the 17 mile drive.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »

I spent 10 minutes this morning scraping ice off my windshield, and on Monday I couldn't go in until Noon due to the snow and ice.  Somehow I don't think that happens on the 17 mile drive.

Ryan,

People see the Crosby, oops, A.T.&T., getting rained out and assume we are in monsoon alley. Pinehurst's average rainfall is 48.60 inches a year, PB's is but 19.5in, the bulk of which is dropped in January and February.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »

People see the Crosby, oops, A.T.&T., getting rained out and assume we are in monsoon alley. Pinehurst's average rainfall is 48.60 inches a year, PB's is but 19.5in, the bulk of which is dropped in January and February.

Bob

....Which sort of makes you why the Crosby, er AT&T, I always make the same mistake, is always played in January!  I guess it's because the Tour is in California in the winter, but it would sure work a lot better weatherwise at the end of September!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back