News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

MPCC
« on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »
From where I sit, which happens to be NYC, and without any 1st hand knowledge about the place, I have come the following conclusion . . .

There can not possibly be a better CC to  belong to in the entire world than MPCC.

2 courses, magnificient setting, amazing weather, beautiful part of the country . . .

-Ted

David Stamm

Re: MPCC
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
MPCC certainly maks a compelling case. As a 36 hole club, there is no place I'd rather be a member.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:29:51 AM »
Ted:
Over CPC?  Is it having 36 holes that does it for you? 

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »
I can think of a few other clubs (CP, Augusta, Merion) where I would probably rather play their one course twice. But that isn't in disrespect to MPCC.
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:59:29 AM »
I'm with Ted, and in fact have said so many times on here over the years.  If I could pick one place to be a member in this country, it would be MPCC.  And yes 36 great holes is what tips the scales.  No forced caddies helps also (vis a vis CPC and perhaps some others).

Among 18 hole clubs, I'd take Valley Club of Montecito - best weather.

But of course this also assumes I have Sand Hills as my "away/summer" club.  Ballyneal would be pretty darn nice also.

;D

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
I'm with Ted, and in fact have said so many times on here over the years.  If I could pick one place to be a member in this country, it would be MPCC.  And yes 36 great holes is what tips the scales.  No forced caddies helps also (vis a vis CPC and perhaps some others).

But of course this also assumes I have Sand Hills as my "away/summer" club.  Ballyneal would be pretty darn nice also.

;D

Tom-

Why is no forced caddies a plus for you? Are there that many clubs that have 100% manditory caddies at all times?
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »

;D

Tom-

Why is no forced caddies a plus for you? Are there that many clubs that have 100% manditory caddies at all times?

There's one within sight of MPCC, Pat.
 ;)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:19:42 AM by Tom Huckaby »

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
I can think of about 3 clubs that I know that are hell or high water caddy clubs, most have certain times where one is required (Saturday/Sunday Mornings), but not all the time.

It's an interesting balance because players don't always want a caddy, but when they do, they want the best....and the best caddies are at clubs that take them 100% of the time.

Sorry thread jack.  :-[
H.P.S.

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
I can think of about 3 clubs that I know that are hell or high water caddy clubs, most have certain times where one is required (Saturday/Sunday Mornings), but not all the time.

It's an interesting balance because players don't always want a caddy, but when they do, they want the best....and the best caddies are at clubs that take them 100% of the time.

Name those 3 clubs, and I bet those are the ones that would seem to be the obvious choices for "Dream membership"

Sure I'd love to be a member at CPC, but the 36 world-class holes thing does it for me.  Throw in the ocean and a top-tier practice area and MPCC goes up near the top of the list.  I haven't played the Dunes, but there are many who feel it's superior to the Shore.  The fact that there is even a debate means that it must be pretty special too.

Does MPCC have a short game practice area?  That's my other "dream club" feature...many of the new high-end privates are putting an emphasis on a comprehensive short game area. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »

Does MPCC have a short game practice area?  That's my other "dream club" feature...many of the new high-end privates are putting an emphasis on a comprehensive short game area. 

Yes Ryan - a freakin' GREAT one, one of the best I have seen.  Huge green devoted to pitches and chip shots, plus another HUGE green devoted to putting only, that is darn near as fun as St. Andrews Himlayas.  OK that is stretching it, but the key is each are fantastic.  And each are separate from the main range.. all grass, great targets, tees on both ends.. and we haven't even mentioned the entirely separate "shag range" (or so it used to be called) that is out closer to the ocean!  It's now pretty darn perfect also, with it's own putting green.....

Yes, MPCC does have all bases covered.  I look at this as you do, Ryan - quite exactly.  This is the dream club.

TH
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:38:58 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »
And its not even really limited to just two courses anymore...

With the Composite its more like 3.   ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »

Name those 3 clubs, and I bet those are the ones that would seem to be the obvious choices for "Dream membership"

Sure I'd love to be a member at CPC, but the 36 world-class holes thing does it for me.  Throw in the ocean and a top-tier practice area and MPCC goes up near the top of the list.  I haven't played the Dunes, but there are many who feel it's superior to the Shore.  The fact that there is even a debate means that it must be pretty special too.

Is Conway Farms in Lake Forest, IL a "dream" membership for you?
H.P.S.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »

Yes Ryan - a freakin' GREAT one, one of the best I have seen.  Huge green devoted to pitches and chip shots, plus another HUGE green devoted to putting only, that is darn near as fun as St. Andrews Himlayas.  OK that is stretching it, but the key is each are fantastic.  And each are separate from the main range.. all grass, great targets, tees on both ends.. and we haven't even mentioned the entirely separate "shag range" (or so it used to be called) that is out closer to the ocean!  It's now pretty darn perfect also, with it's own putting green.....

Yes, MPCC does have all bases covered.  I look at this as you do, Ryan - quite exactly.  This is the dream club.

TH

Sorry for the question, but I've never played MPCC or CPC (or LACC or Riviera or . . . .) -- does CPC not have a practice area?   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »
Carl,

CPCs practice range is very basic with no frills.  It does the job, but nowhere near what they have at MPCC which is very very nice.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
Thanks Kalen. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
CPC of course doesn't require much in the way of practice facilities... smaller membership, not nearly as active as MPCC.  But that being said, it does have the range for members (right of first fairway) which as Kalen says is functional... but it also does have two short-game areas as well.  Methinks it would suffice.

;D

Hey, none of this is meant to knock CPC.  Of course it would be a dream to be a member there also.  However.. if I could pick one and only one, I'd pick MPCC.  Odds are I'd make a lot of friends who are CPC members anyway.

TH

Stan Dodd

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 11:06:43 AM »
MPCC has two great practice areas.  The range at Point Joe has to be the most scenic practice areas in the world.  It is located just to the left of the 13th tee on the Dunes and you hit towards Point Joe.  There are practice greens and bunkers, chipping area and driving range.  As an employee of MPCC I would put it at the top of my list for clubs to join.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 11:12:02 AM »
MPCC has two great practice areas.  The range at Point Joe has to be the most scenic practice areas in the world.  It is located just to the left of the 13th tee on the Dunes and you hit towards Point Joe.  There are practice greens and bunkers, chipping area and driving range.  As an employee of MPCC I would put it at the top of my list for clubs to join.

That's the other range I referred to above as used to be called shag range.. oh my yes, that is world class also.

Interestingly GD just recently asked us to rank practice areas... I put MPCC #1 among those I have seen.

TH

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

That's the other range I referred to above as used to be called shag range.. oh my yes, that is world class also.

Interestingly GD just recently asked us to rank practice areas... I put MPCC #1 among those I have seen.

TH

Rank ranges??? I generally find huge ranges a huge waste of space.

Nothing is better than a tiny patch of land to hit a few wedges to loosen up before heading out to play. The best range in the world is Shoreacres. Which is 30 yards wide and 200 deep, in between a forest and the drive into the clubhouse. Perfect.

2nd place would be Old Elm, which other than a tee ground and a wedge green, you hit the longer shots right into the first fairway.
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »
Pat:

It's not ranking ranges, it's ranking overall practice facilities.  Many clubs have them.  Waste of space would depend on space available...

In the end it's just a curiousity, for sure.  And to that end, MPCC's overall facilities remain fantastic.

TH

rjsimper

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »

Rank ranges??? I generally find huge ranges a huge waste of space.

On what grounds?

:D

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »
Pat:

It's not ranking ranges, it's ranking overall practice facilities.  Many clubs have them.  Waste of space would depend on space available...

In the end it's just a curiousity, for sure.  And to that end, MPCC's overall facilities remain fantastic.

TH

Tom-

I understand that it is just a fun ranking...I was just kind of shocked that GD actually wants to rank the best. Care to share your top 10?
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
Pat:

TH

Tom-

I understand that it is just a fun ranking...I was just kind of shocked that GD actually wants to rank the best. Care to share your top 10?

Well I was surprised myself.

Can't recall my Top 10... just submitted it and forgot about it.  I do know MPCC was #1.  I also included World Woods.  Beyond that, out of sight out of mind.. like yesterday's lunch menu.... my kids' names... my wife's birthday... I am Mr. Short Term Memory.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »
I would think the Bandon Dunes practice area would make the top 10 on this kind of list as well.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
I would think the Bandon Dunes practice area would make the top 10 on this kind of list as well.

Correct - another I included.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back