News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JimFatsi

Re: What do I do with the golf course/architecture library?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
Donate them to your state golf association, most state have dedicated buildings for the golf assoc. offices.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 11:21:18 PM »
Last evening my significant other informed me she's had it with the library. Our home is crawling with books and you know she's right. Way too many dollars and time has been devoted with this obsession.  Thanks, Ken. 

"Significant other has crossed the line, put her on ebay"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 01:27:40 PM »
Last evening my significant other informed me she's had it with the library. Our home is crawling with books and you know she's right. Way too many dollars and time has been devoted with this obsession.  Thanks, Ken. 

"Significant other has crossed the line, put her on ebay"

Cary...I believe that would constitute human trafficking and would be deemed against the law. However, I am in consultation with former VP Richard Cheney to explore an alternative approach where she could be legally classified as an Al Qaeda terrorist so we could begin waterboarding tactics. As of this moment the DOJ has not ruled favorably on our request. It is Mr. Cheney's contention that the current administration is not golf-friendly and as a result the library's survival remains in serious doubt.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
Ken:

Confusus say

"Books, unlike women, can be used and ubused, put on the shelf for years and when you go back to them, they age with beauty and never complain"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
Ken:

Confusus say

"Books, unlike women, can be used and ubused, put on the shelf for years and when you go back to them, they age with beauty and never complain"

Cary...I'm guessing 'ol Confucius wasn't getting laid too much with this strategy. Golf books versus sex? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Scott Warren

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 11:46:58 AM »
True Ken, but the golf books would never ask you to choose...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »
[
Cary...I'm guessing 'ol Confucius wasn't getting laid too much with this strategy. Golf books versus sex? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

But didn't Confucious nevertheless find the key to eternal happiness, inner peace, bliss, and tranquility?

I'm betting he had a kick-ass architectural library.  ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
I think you should listen to Bob Huntley, Mike, Bill and the others by explaining to your wifes that she does not have book burning or tossing privlidges  in your home. Add on if you need space. I also think taking a few to your club library might  help a young player discover the world og golf architecture while resting on a hot summer evening after golf.

Mike Jansen

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
I am always looking to expand by golf architecture library... if you decide to sell, I'll buy. Please lemme know.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
Golf books versus sex? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Ken, you're obviously still young enough to care! ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:15 AM »
[

But didn't Confucious nevertheless find the key to eternal happiness, inner peace, bliss, and tranquility?

I'm betting he had a kick-ass architectural library.  ;D

And I'm sure all those books made his meals, did his laundry, and kept him warm and cozy at night.   ;D  ;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
Kalen:

This just in from today's front page of the Wall St Journal:

"Ebay CEO says company will return to roots as Internet Flea Market...ebay's secondary market includes used and vintage goods that the comapany is already known for selling, as well as clearance and out of season item"

I must admit my mistake in recommending you place your significant other on Ebay, that would be for older gentlemen, married for long times. Since you appear to be a "younger folk", perhaps you should place her on Amazon.com which also sells books.

You might even place her and your books on Amazon at the same time and compare your offers ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
Kalen:

This just in from today's front page of the Wall St Journal:

"Ebay CEO says company will return to roots as Internet Flea Market...ebay's secondary market includes used and vintage goods that the comapany is already known for selling, as well as clearance and out of season item"

I must admit my mistake in recommending you place your significant other on Ebay, that would be for older gentlemen, married for long times. Since you appear to be a "younger folk", perhaps you should place her on Amazon.com which also sells books.

You might even place her and your books on Amazon at the same time and compare your offers ;D

Ha ha...

By GCA.com standards I am "younger" folk even though I've been married for over 14 years now.

As for placing her on auction, I'd be all for it.  Shouldn't it be like buying a car?  Trade it in every 5 years for a younger and newer model?  ;D

Ed Homsey

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
Ken--Sounds like your thread has developed into some kind of commentary on male-female relationships.  So, I'm probably way out of the loop by my literal response to your original request.

In the summer of 2008, I spent a lot of time trying to find a suitable repository for a friend's large collection of golf books.  I contacted many libraries--concentrating, in large part, on the libraries of those colleges/universities that had programs most closely aligned with the collection.  What I found was that most libraries lacked space for large collections, and each of them wanted an inventory that would permit them to select what they wanted.

I was not successful in placing my friend's collection.  But, I think the approach was appropriate.  Select colleges/universities that have Landscape design programs, with golf course architecture as a sub-emphasis.  Contact their libraries, but also, contact the Directors of the programs to let them know what you're trying to do.  I found that community libraries, and specialty libraries such as the Tuft's in Pinehurst, just do not have the space to take on major collections.

Good luck.  Hope you find a great space for your collection. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back