News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken McGlynn

What do I do with the golf course/architecture library?
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »
Last evening my significant other informed me she's had it with the library. Our home is crawling with books and you know she's right. Way too many dollars and time has been devoted with this obsession. In the spirit of corporate America it's time to downsize. The question is what to do with them. I'm not interested in going the Ebay route....too time consuming. What I'd like to do is donate the majority of the collection (I'm keeping the cream of the crop) to some organization that can make good use of them. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Ken. 

Phil_the_Author

Re: What do I do with the golf course/architecture library?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
Ken,

Examine what you have and categorize the books. Consider donating those that deal with specific architect's works to Association's that are attempting to preserve not just historical information, but doing so in a manner that is encouraging any and all to research as well.

For example, at last week's PBA Gallery auction, a copy of Tilly's booklet "Planning a Golf Course" was sold for $14,400. Obviously the availability for a reasercher to examine something of this value and rarity (It was one of only four known copies) is limited in the extreme. This week, though, the Tillinghast Association website is going to place the full-cover images of a scanned copy of one of the four on our website, thus making it available for all to examine.

If you feel that breaking your collection up in this manner is too time-consuming or just doesn't work for you, what about donating it to a University archive where they have a strong Landscape Architecture program? Or one that is a member of the PGA of America's golf course management certification program?

You might also consider quietly approaching some on here who you know do serious research and ask them if they might be able to put some of them to personal use in their own researches.

I would not suggest donating them to either the USGA or PGA libraries as they most likely already have copies of the ones you have.

You could also approach your own state's golf association and see if there is interest. Be careful doing this as many, if not most, have neither the space or interest in maintaining any serious archive for research.

Finally, you could simply list them on this site and ask for PRIVATE emails from those who have an interest in them. Take the money that they may be willing to pay and either donate it to the site or to another deserving charity.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
While I'm keeping my Golf, GCA and turf science books, I have an extensive collection of "Golf Course Management" magazines of the GCSAA for about 10 years (also Golfdom and other periodicals).  They have some great academic turf grass science articles and case reports of various conditions and methods written by top supers.  Yet, I'm never going to use them practically, and alot of that stuff is available on the 'Turfnet' sites.  I hate to throw them out since I meteculosly kept them in order and in great condition, and have offered them to local supers or for their assistants.  Everyone's eyes glaze over.   I hate to do it, but will probably have to toss out the several boxes of them.  Particularly if I'm going to maintain any credibility in my never ending war with the wife who is a packrat, to disgorge of old meaningless crap.  :-[ :-\ ::)

I'd ask local supers who might want the GCA books, even though my luck with periodicals wasn't so good.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
Last evening my significant other informed me she's had it with the library. Our home is crawling with books and you know she's right. Way too many dollars and time has been devoted with this obsession. In the spirit of corporate America it's time to downsize. The question is what to do with them. I'm not interested in going the Ebay route....too time consuming. What I'd like to do is donate the majority of the collection (I'm keeping the cream of the crop) to some organization that can make good use of them. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Ken. 

What the hell, how many books do you have?  I have a couple of shelves full of GCA books (and other golf related books), my long suffering wife never mentions them.

I am planning to have my books sent out to my golf club when I go to that 19th hole in the sky; nobody there knows a Redan from a Biarritz (even though we have a reverse Redan that includes a Biarritz swale in the green) but maybe they'll learn!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:37:58 PM by Bill_McBride »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:50 PM »
Ran could start a remote GCA member library.  Post the list of books and GCAers can check them in and out for a shipping and handling fee.

Nah... Probably not...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »

Ken,

Tell her when the chachkis, and knick knacks, and 3rd set of China, and 15 scrapbooks, and high school yearbooks, and two walk-in closets full of every fashion style back to late 70s post-disco-pre-punk, and room saved for the mother-in-law suite sometime in the next coupla' decades, and quilting center with the BIG sewing machine apparatus, and the son and daughter's rooms left as they were when they moved out shortly after Stone Temple Pilots released "Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop" in hopes that they might someday move back in, as well as the 2nd Dog's (a trendy, non-allergenic "Labra-doodle", of course") "space', and the basement with the museum of late-night informercial exercise equipment (everyone remember the "Nordic Track"?), and the CD collection that includes the "Best of John Denver" and "Asia", along with her ex-husband's album collection (mostly AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynrd) in milk-crate boxes filling 3 foot high, wedged-in storage space in corners....then...

and ONLY then...

should you remove even one single page of any book in your golf course architecture library collection.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:15:04 PM by MikeCirba »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
Michael,

How right you are.

Bob

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:13:27 AM »
Ken,

It seems that some of the others have hit the nail on the head? Maybe you should retitle the thread "What do I do with my wife?", all though maybe not  ;D  Joking aside, its I'm afraid I have it made, as my wife doesn't have knick knacks but she does have her own vast library of natural history, wildlife books etc!!!

I hope you find a good home for your collection!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:25:43 AM »
Ken,

I hope you have informed your "significant other" that she has to get rid off all her shoes and handbags... Fair's fair.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »
time to buy a bigger home.... ;D

I like the shoes and handbag theory though

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
Just how many books are there?
H.P.S.

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
I would probably be interested in buying all or some if you want to go that route.This assumes I wouldn't have to add a wing to my house.

I'll send you an e-mail if you'd rather respond that way.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
I would probably be interested in buying all or some if you want to go that route.This assumes I wouldn't have to add a wing to my house.

I'll send you an e-mail if you'd rather respond that way.

Likewise.
H.P.S.

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
Thank you all for you replies. There were some good suggestions and ideas. Now to Messrs. Cirba, Huntley, Boon, Warren and Binette, I trust none of you are: relationship therapists (not a Dr. Phil in the bunch), church deacons, or family law attorneys. In the infamous words of Danny Noonan's girlfriend, the lovely Maggie: "tanks for nutthin!"  ;D  Cheers, Ken

SBendelow

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »
Ken,
I can offer a few suggestions for your donation of books:    the PGA Historical Center in Port St. Lucie, FL, the USGA Library in Far Hills, NJ, the Tufts Library in Pinehurst, NC, the Turfgrass Information Center at MIchigan State University, East Lansing, MI. or the AAF Sports Library in Los Angeles, CA (maybe not in that order of priority)
Some of these already have significant collections and may be more interested in those books you wish to keep rather than the ones you hope to donate.  You could provide them with a listing of the books you wish to donate to ascertain they're interest.  They all may not be interested in the same volumes.  The result could be a significant tax deduction.
Call me if you would like to discuss this further. (843) 705-2818
Stuart Bendelow

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
Mike Cirba for King of the Man tribe!!!!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »

That WAS pretty good!  ;D  Go Mike........but let's hope your wife doesn't get a look at that post.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »

That WAS pretty good!  ;D  Go Mike........but let's hope your wife doesn't get a look at that post.

Jen is of keen enough mind to:

A: Pretty well exceed every requirement in that list
B: Absolutely hold Mike to that standard
C: Outwit a good 95% of this website

Mike better hope she doesn't read it, not because of any fallout, but it's perfectly possible that the ever-reasonable Jen is the holder of significant credit based on those criteria.  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 10:05:23 PM »

Obviously, based on some feedback I've gotten off-line, that post struck a chord with some (all?) of us guys out here sharing lives of loving wars and semi-peaceful co-existence with our female partners.

Does anyone remember "detente"?  ;)

I think perhaps I just had a moment or clarity, or perhaps it was the spirit of Gib Papazian that I felt climb up inside me and start typing.   Either case, it seems that there was more than a smidgeon of universal truth in the words.

As far as showing her that post, Bill, my courageous rant last night unfortunately expended all of my remaining energies, so I'm off to sleep on the couch.  

Thankfully, she does give me a bookcase, and another cabinet just off the kitchen for my golf architecture stuff, so I guess I should consider myself fortunate that I can occupy a solid 3.47% of the homestead with my personal hobby.  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 10:11:43 PM »

Jen is of keen enough mind to:

A: Pretty well exceed every requirement in that list
B: Absolutely hold Mike to that standard
C: Outwit a good 95% of this website

Mike better hope she doesn't read it, not because of any fallout, but it's perfectly possible that the ever-reasonable Jen is the holder of significant credit based on those criteria.  ;D

And you're obviously keen enough Kyle to notice what all of my other male friends have as well, in that I'm ridiculously fortunate.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »
Mike, my friend - guard yourself against those so-called moments of clarity; you'll be paying for them for months afterwards!

I find that a nicotine-and-self-induced miasma of fog (not quite a cloud of unknowing) does nicely instead. It usually lifts by the 14th hole.

Peter   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »

Obviously, based on some feedback I've gotten off-line, that post struck a chord with some (all?) of us guys out here sharing lives of loving wars and semi-peaceful co-existence with our female partners.

Does anyone remember "detente"?  ;)

I think perhaps I just had a moment or clarity, or perhaps it was the spirit of Gib Papazian that I felt climb up inside me and start typing.   Either case, it seems that there was more than a smidgeon of universal truth in the words.

As far as showing her that post, Bill, my courageous rant last night unfortunately expended all of my remaining energies, so I'm off to sleep on the couch.  

Thankfully, she does give me a bookcase, and another cabinet just off the kitchen for my golf architecture stuff, so I guess I should consider myself fortunate that I can occupy a solid 3.47% of the homestead with my personal hobby.  ;D

I suspect that's not a problem, and that "live and let live" is a pretty good recipe for continued harmony.
It's worked for me for 41 seasons, so it must be a good recipe!

Scott Stearns

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
as Clemenza said;  leave the wife, take the library....

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 01:44:53 PM »
I know of a significant golf course that is trying to build a library.  If you are interested, please send me a message.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
Can you say EBAY?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back