News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Hawaii's big island
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »
Well, well, well. Lucky TimT is going on a company sponsored trip to the big island in September. Never been to Hawaii, know nothing about the courses except the Tour events on TV.

We'll be staying at the Fairmont Orchid which is adjacent to and has priviliges at the Mauna Lani courses - Francis H. L'I Brown North and South. From what I can tell it also looks like the following courses are within easy reach of the Orchid:

Waikoloa Beach (RTJ Sr.) and King's (Weiskopf/Morrish)
Waikoloa Village Golf Club (RTJ Jr.
Mauna Kea (RTJ Sr.)
Hapuna (Palmer/Seay)
Hulailai (Nicklaus - appears to be only for members and Four Seasons guests)
Kona Country Club Ocean and Mountain

I'll probably have time for an 18, 36, 36. Anyone who has played over there have any opinions to offer?

Thanks,

TimT

grandwazo

Re:Hawaii's big island
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »
TimT

I made the same trip last May, stayed at the same hotel on a business junket as well.  

The Francic Lil Brown courses on the premises are both very nice resort courses with a couple of great holes on the water, not too tough no matter how far you go back.  When I was there the North course was undergoing renovation with holes out of play, so make sure you check the status before booking your times.  

I was able to play Hulailia and enjoyed it, I am a Nicklaus fan so take the recommendation with a grain of salt.  

Hapuna was excellent as well, of the courses I played on the Big Island it was probably the best test all around and in the best condition.  

If you can figure out a way on, Kukio, the private course on the other side of the road overlooking Hulailia is supposed to be the best course on the island, although I did not play it, I did play Hulailia with a couple of seasonal residents who raved about the course, the conditioning and the ambience.  

I did not play Mauna Kea, at the time it was supposed to be in very poor condition.  

As a side note, the Fairmont is not bad, but definitely eat dinner at the Four Seasons on the beach, great food and a great setting.  Enjoy your trip.
Jeff

Doug Wright

Re: Hawaii's big island
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »
I'm headed to the Big Island on a spring break trip. Staying on the Mauna Lani property. I've played both Mauna Lani courses, but that was probably 10 years ago. Would appreciate any thoughts on those or other courses, including those listed in this 2005 thread or anything that's new. Thanks.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Chris Ord

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:23:42 PM »
i played both courses at mauna lani about 6 years ago.  the south course has the famous par 3 over the ocean, but i much more preferred the north course.  it had a greater variety of holes and terrain, and, for me, it provided more fun as a golf experience.  on an excursion, i also drove past waimea golf course, on an inland northern portion of the island.  don't know much about it, but it seemed intriguing. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:57:33 PM »
Played Big Island CC and Makalei GC in early Jan., both are under $100, have bent greens, and are enjoyable to play (not gca gems).  Makalei has particularly severe terrain to play over, but it was fun in a cart.  I think P.B. Dye did Big Island and it has some teeth.  Stayed at a condo overlooking Kona CC- Ocean, looked pleasant, but was advised by locals to play the two I did.  Mauna Kea had reopened but they were charging $350.  It was completely empty- not a single player I could see- the Sunday we visited.

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »
Played Big Island CC and Makalei GC in early Jan., both are under $100, have bent greens, and are enjoyable to play (not gca gems).  Makalei has particularly severe terrain to play over, but it was fun in a cart.  I think P.B. Dye did Big Island and it has some teeth.  Stayed at a condo overlooking Kona CC- Ocean, looked pleasant, but was advised by locals to play the two I did.  Mauna Kea had reopened but they were charging $350.  It was completely empty- not a single player I could see- the Sunday we visited.

Thanks Lou, I like those rates. I can't believe what these resorts are charging.  $250 at Mauna Lani unless you're staying at the hotel. Those courses are OK but I'm not paying that. $350 at Mauna Kea? Fuhgeddabbouddit.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
Pay attention to the weather.  It can be hot and windy down on the coast but calm and cooler further upland (inland).  ie. 90 w/20mphwinds at the resort courses but 75 and a light breeze at Makalei.  However, if the cloud cover is low, Makalei can resemble a Scottish Fog.  And watch out for the jagged black lava along the coast.  It will slice you up.  The locals don't call it Ahha for nothing.
Coasting is a downhill process

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
No one has mentioned the best course on the Big Island?  I would try and beg to get on Nanea.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:18:48 PM »
Play the following:

Nanea: Private, try to get on that
Mana Kea: haven't played the renovated course, but the old course was excellent
Hapuna: quirky and fun and I liked that a lot
There is another Nicklaus course about a 45 min drive that is private with very expensive homes, if you can get on that, it is worth playing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 05:06:03 PM »
A friend just got back from playing Kukio and Nanea. Said they are very different but both fantastic.

Damon Groves

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »
Mauna Lani is over rated. Nice enough courses but nothing spectacular. The North course has more strategic elements. Hualalai is only for Four Seasons guests and members and is not your typcial Nicklaus course. In that I mean it is a lot of fun with some great holes that give you some risk reward options. The other course at Hualalai is I believe a Weiskopf course and is solely for the members but a little sweet talking does the trick and is also a fun course. Both Hualalai courses can be played in 3 hrs given how few people they let on.

Good luck getting on Nanea. That one talks more butt kissing then I can pull off.

John Handley

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »
I've played alot of golf on the Big Island and I am a fan.  Last trip was  Nanea and Hualalai.  I have not played Kukio but I am sure it's great.  Based upon where you are staying, I think the Mauna Lani courses are a must.  They are fun to play.  Then I'd hit Mauna Kea.  And if you can get yourself onto Nanea...it's a no brainer.  David McLay Kidd and is the best course in all of Hawaii.  have fun and aloha.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
I agree with a lot of the above.  Value wise, Makalei, and Big Island CC are both pretty good and fun.  I think the Waikaloa courses are very average and not worth the time,  but Hapuna is good although a little tight at times.  Before all the new privates were built Mauna Kea was the best track. I haven't played it since the redo,  but it is a classic layout and has a lot of solid holes.  Good movement and elevated, well protected greens that make it tougher than it appears.  I would play it before the Mauna Lani courses which have some spectacular holes but are sometimes in terrible shape.  If money is no object and you've never played them,  it's worth consideration.  The Hualalai Four Seasons course is just ok, and the private Weiskopf is better but forgetable.

The privates are now the best courses and group on all the islands

Nanea is fantastic and deserves to be in the top 100 in the world-  a wonderful mix of different holes with 18 ocean views and great greens.  It is very private and tough to get on...

Kukio is close to Nanea and a solid Fazio,  terrific fun and incredibly manicured.  A must play if you can get on there.

Hokulia...    a new development and some spectacular driving holes.  Jack did a pretty good job here although there are some rather ordinary holes on the front side.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back