News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Britain from the air 5
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:03:44 PM »

This is Stourbridge in the West Midlands. Its claim to fame was that the Guinness Book of Records described it as ‘the longest yardage over the smallest acreage.’ (6,231 yards on 93 acres).

Probably equally compact as far as the course itself is concerned is Ringway (Colt and Braid) close to Manchester Airport. It would not qualify for consideration by Guinness as the club owns land over the road to the top left of the aerial and also beyond the dog-leg hole at the top right. I posted photographs and a commentary at: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37452.0.html

This is the amazingly compact 36-hole layout of Royal Mid-Surrey in Richmond, not far from the centre of London. Memorise this picture if you fly into Heathrow a lot because you will frequently fly right over the course as you approach Heathrow from the East, the usual approach direction. It is flat (very) and there isn’t a square inch to spare but I do admire both courses (JH Taylor) and you rarely encounter problems with play straying onto wrong fairways. The championship course is the Outer – 6402 yards to a par of 69 – while the Inner is charming – 5544 yards par 68.

Another 36-hole layout is that of the RAC Club at Epsom. It is rarely mentioned on GCA and I suspect that is because very few of us will have played it. Visitors must be members’ guests or part of the relatively few visiting societies allowed during the year. There is also a 9-hole course. Fowler’s name is associated with it, but how much is unadulterated Fowler I cannot say. I have played both courses (once) in the early 1970s, but even looking at this aerial I cannot remember anything about it. Does anyone know it?

In complete contrast, there are only 9 holes at Royal Worlington and Newmarket, known affectionately as Mildenhall. Many would say it is the finest 9-hole course in the British Isles, others would say the world. All I can say is that I would never turn down an opportunity to play this wonderful course. Read Patric Dickinson before playing it for the first time and after every subsequent visit.

I don’t think this 9-holer has been discussed very much on GCA, Charnwood Forest in Leicestershire. It is an absolute joy to play with great scenery. James Braid takes the credit.

Another Braid course little discussed here. It’s Clitheroe, one of the better inland courses in Lancashire. I note that it will be hosting Regional Qualifying for the Open Championship next year. It will dent the aspirations of the powerful hitters, for this course needs guile. It’s a lovely place to play in good weather and Clitheroe itself is a very unspoiled old market town with a wonderfully old-fashioned wine merchants: Byrne’s. Drool at their website pictures: http://www.dbyrne-finewines.co.uk/about.htm

While we’re ‘up north’ we should all visit Seascale at least once. There is some rugged duneland here and this Willie Campbell/George Lowe course has at least half a dozen top class holes. At the extreme left of the image are two pedestrian holes ploughing back and forth between the buildings of the Sellafield Nuclear plant. These can easily be left out of the round. I fancy this is one of the sleepers just waiting for GCA to discover it.

Finally, a trip across England to the East Coast and another hidden gem, Seacroft. If you have a tendency to slicing keep away. There are 14 holes with OOB on the right! These are wonderfully undulating fairways, with a number of blind or semi-blind shots, plenty of bunkers and interesting greens, such as the 4th on top of a mound. There’s a very entertaining approach to the 7th over (or round) a mound and the approach to the green on the par-5 13th is a classic.

Rich Goodale

Re: Britain from the air 5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »
Mark

I've played both RAC courses but it was over 10 years ago.  My memories are positive, particularly about the club itself, and the courses are very fine, too.  Lots of elevation, particularly when you get near the Epsom race course itself (at the bottom of your aerial).  I'm scheduled to play in the member-guest this year and will report back.

Any chance you could use your tremendous influence to get some hi-res aerials north of the border?

Rich

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
Rich, Much of Scotland and Ireland is still in low res on Google Earth, which is very tedious, but I could put a few together to keep you happy. Some essentials, such as Cruden Bay, are under thick cloud! I might try MSN Virtual Earth.  Mark.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
Mark

Cruden Bay was under a thick cloud on Google last time I looked there 2-3 years ago.  Maybe it's always cloudy there?

Rich

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »
Rich, You've alerted me to the fact that some more of Scotland is now in high res than when last I looked, so a few Scottish courses will be in my next effort. Thanks, Mark.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
Mark

Thanks for the picture of Clitheroe.  I've just organised our club trip to go there later this year on the basis of some good reports and the club's attempts to get an Open regional qualifier there.

Seascale flies well under the radar, the first time I became aware of it was reading Jim Finegan's "All Courses Great & Small" a few years ago.  I've yet to play it, the only time I've been to Seascale was to take our dog for a walk on the beach there after a few days in the Lake District.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back