News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Re: Kenosha CC
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 11:40:47 PM »
Tree clearing has transformed the course. They still have more to do but it's so much better than it used to be. Elevated greens, small greens, Ross mounding and a meandering creek are the hallmarks of this wonderful course. 
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
There's a CDGA Better Ball event there on July 31st. Looking forward to playing.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 04:02:45 PM »
I played Kenosha about 4 years ago and agree with the comments above that it was enjoyable and had recognizable Ross elements.   I considered joining but ultimately decided it was too far from home.  The trees got in the way of my thinking also, and I was glad to hear last year that they were working on clearing them. 

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
Had the pleasure of playing Kenosha CC yesterday in a Senior WSGA event.  It's surprising that there isn't more discussion of this course here, particularly by the voracious Chicago GCA contingent.  There are some big elevation changes including some wild uphill par 3's.  There is evidence of some tree clearing.  The entire hillside behind the 12th green/13th tee has been cut down.  Does anyone know if there is any thought of bringing back many of the greens to, what appears to be, their original footprint?  Bunker work?  When/if this course is ever fully restored it will get a lot more press than it does currently.  Recommended for Ross fans or anyone in the area looking for something a bit different, particularly by flat midwestern standards.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:55:38 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Myers

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:32 PM »
Since there isn't much mention of Kenosha CC, I thought I would reply to this old thread...

Saw a post on twitter by Jeff Hollembeak that some Ross bunkers were being "reclaimed" at Kenosha CC.

Anyone familiar with the scope of current work?

https://twitter.com/HCIGolf/status/1007052829884928000

George Myers

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »
Well, I reached out to Drew Rogers, and he graciously responded and said that yes, he is still working with Kenosha CC on their master plan to uncover/implement the Ross features there.

He said that he would be on-site this week as fairway bunkers are added.

They continue to remove non-native vegetation and are working towards restoring angles to bring back the strategy and Ross touch to the course, altering fairways and adding the fwy bunkers.  Also, some green edges are being restored.

Over the next years, they will be adding fescue on the property boundaries, and on the surrounds of some holes.  Very few quality specimen trees on site, mainly silver maple, arbor vitae and willows.

It’s a big effort that will take some time to implement.  It’s all there, just waiting to be exposed.

This makes me want to return there periodically to have a look for myself.

I enjoyed my round there last fall with Neil Johnston and John McCarthy.

Thought I would update as Drew was fine with me conveying these points, and I thank him for his generosity in his emails.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:22:37 PM by George Myers »

V_Halyard

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 01:51:48 AM »
They continue to remove non-native vegetation and are working towards restoring angles to bring back the strategy and Ross touch to the course, altering fairways and adding the fwy bunkers.  Also, some green edges are being restored.

Thought I would update as Drew was fine with me conveying these points, and I thank him for his generosity in his emails.
Thanks for the update. I recently reached out to the pro and am hoping to visit there late July.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back