News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Composite Course at MPCC
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 02:00:26 PM »
I have never been there...but what would prevent this layout from being "permanent." Would you not rather have one GREAT golf course and one Average (disclaimer-I'm not calling the course average I'm just pointing this out for discussion) course versus two Above Average courses?

Pat,

I would rather not have one Great course than two courses, irrespective of their caliber. One of the joys of MPCC is that one can play either and not feel that one is slumming.

When the wind is blowing up a storm most of us prefer the Dunes, when benign and sunny with a good surf up we choose the Shore.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »
Bob:

It is an interesting question though, no?

But easier to answer in your case, given both courses just as is are so great, and serve such good purposes as you state.  It would seem the potential improvement (if any) in a composite is not worth changing the perfection you have now.  Of course now you add to the perfection (is that possible) by holding out the every so often opportunity to play a neat composite.

Very very cool.

TH

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
I just think it is a great option to have to play on special occasions, whether it be once a year or on a not busy day.

I hope that it is not considered for ranking purposes. No reason to, in my mind.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »
I hope that it is not considered for ranking purposes. No reason to, in my mind.

Why not?
If RM counts, why not this?

I kinda want it to be considered so that this area can have three of the top 10 courses in the country.  Now that may NOT occur... but it also might.... and we can also put SoCal pretenders more in the dust.

;D

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »
I have never been there...but what would prevent this layout from being "permanent." Would you not rather have one GREAT golf course and one Average (disclaimer-I'm not calling the course average I'm just pointing this out for discussion) course versus two Above Average courses?

Pat,

I would rather not have one Great course than two courses, irrespective of their caliber. One of the joys of MPCC is that one can play either and not feel that one is slumming.

When the wind is blowing up a storm most of us prefer the Dunes, when benign and sunny with a good surf up we choose the Shore.

Bob

Bob-

Perhaps I was more thinking out loud for other clubs I can think of with 27/36 holes. Again, I have never been to MPCC but it sounds like an awesome place. I agree that having two options that no member preferrs to play is a fantastic position to be in. My question was more hypothetical.

Interesting case study though!

Thanks again for sharing.
H.P.S.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
Can anyone take us on a photo tour of this composite course?  Thanks...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
Jim,

If I could get a couple of guys like Tim Bert and James Bennett here, I think we could have a good slide show. I believe Mike Benham is my next best shot, a plus one with the clubs and scratch with the camera but certainly a pro in getting the wretched stuff up on GCA.

Bob

Ash Towe

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »
Tom,
For most rankings RM has now been separated to West and East.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »
Tom,

MOST, yes.  ALL?

We just want an American competitor.

;D

Ash Towe

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
All?
It must be close.  I cannot say for sure all.

You guys need to leave something for us in the southern hemisphere. ;D

It will be an amazing experience to play the composite at MPCC, if my experience on the Shore course was anything to go by.

Hope everything is going well in So Cal.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »
All?
It must be close.  I cannot say for sure all.

You guys need to leave something for us in the southern hemisphere. ;D

It will be an amazing experience to play the composite at MPCC, if my experience on the Shore course was anything to go by.

Hope everything is going well in So Cal.

I shall give you one chance to rectify that insult.  It's as if I called you an Englishman.

MPCC - and Mr. Huntley and myself - are most definitely in NORTHERN California.

Don't make my seconds contact yours....

;D

PThomas

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
Tom,

MOST, yes.  ALL?

We just want an American competitor.

;D

dont forget The Country Club is 27 holes my friend
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ash Towe

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Tom,
My sincere apologies for the geographical mistake.

You may call me an englishman as I was born in Leeds and lived there for 21 years.
Please refrain from any comments about the football/soccer team. ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »
Tom,
My sincere apologies for the geographical mistake.

You may call me an englishman as I was born in Leeds and lived there for 21 years.
Please refrain from any comments about the football/soccer team. ;D

LOL!  I thought so... because as you see I grew up in Los Angeles.  So as you forgive me, I forgive you.

My football team just scored in the 4th minute against WBA (HALLELUYAH - FIRST EPL GOAL IN A MONTH) but gave up an equalizer in 7th minute (despair).

;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
I prepared the following aerial of the composite course with hole numbers.   It does have a slightly different routing for the last 3 holes.  It goes #16 Shore, #5 Shore, #6 Shore as holes 16-18 as I'm guessing this is what Bob meant to write.... I hope..   :)

Kalen.

My apologies, you are quite right it ends on No.6 not 7.

Bob

Jed Peters

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »
Jim,

If I could get a couple of guys like Tim Bert and James Bennett here, I think we could have a good slide show. I believe Mike Benham is my next best shot, a plus one with the clubs and scratch with the camera but certainly a pro in getting the wretched stuff up on GCA.

Bob

What am I, chopped liver?

I posted a spread on this earlier....

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »

"What am I, chopped liver?

I posted a spread on this earlier...."

You must be....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »
I prepared the following aerial of the composite course with hole numbers.   It does have a slightly different routing for the last 3 holes.  It goes #16 Shore, #5 Shore, #6 Shore as holes 16-18 as I'm guessing this is what Bob meant to write.... I hope..   :)

Kalen.

My apologies, you are quite right it ends on No.6 not 7.

Bob

Not a problem,

Its sure to be a fine day in MPCC-ville come next month.  I'm sure the grins and smiles will be extra wide after playing the Composite.  Now if they could just do something about that pesky 17 mile drive with all the damned tourists driving thru.  Maybe if they charged $50 per car it'd eliminate most of the riff-raff!   ;D

P.S. Perhaps anyone with some golf channel connections can see about maybe getting a little segment or write-up done on this!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 11:56:34 PM »
Tom - I didn't realize you were a Gooner . . . good man. "One Nil to the Arsenal . . ."

Treehouse - Is this the best set of courses - IYO - in the US that is routed, at least partially, through a residential neighborhood?

How about the best 18?

Tim Bert

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »
Jim,

Bob

Bob -

I'd be happy to share my photos of the Shore for the composite tour.  I have not played the Dunes, so I will need someone to lead us off with the opening stretch and then I'll jump in with contributions on the remainder of the holes. 

Tim Bert

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »
I just saw the other thread on the photo tour, but now I'm confused about the routing as well.  Bob said the course will end with Shore #7, which I thought was a par 3.  The photo tour from Scott suggests that #18 is a par 5.

Where am I getting mixed up? 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2009, 12:17:56 AM »
I just saw the other thread on the photo tour, but now I'm confused about the routing as well.  Bob said the course will end with Shore #7, which I thought was a par 3.  The photo tour from Scott suggests that #18 is a par 5.

Tim,

It does indeed end on the par 5 6th hole which should make for a great ending as its a fine hole.

Kalen

John Mayhugh

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 12:19:17 AM »
Composite course? If the Dunes is anywhere near as good as the Shore, my preference would be to simply play 36.   ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:30 AM »

Tim,

It does indeed end on the par 5 6th hole which should make for a great ending as its a fine hole.

Kalen

I originally only saw Bob's reply to your original post that it indeed ended on #7.  Just now saw the follow-up post confirming your routing.  Thanks - I'll add my photos of the Shore to the composite tour thread at some point in the next couple of days.  I also owe this crowd #14 at Kingsley...

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »

Tim,

Kalen

The 7th could/will make for a great bye hole as well...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back