News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Dubai; Emirates Golf, Majlis Course (pictures)
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
Last week I played the Emirates Golf course in Dubai. The course was in great shape, just 2 weeks after the desert classic, won by Rory McIllroy. It surprised me they had a walking only policy on the Majlis course, something you wouldn't expect. And also the fact that the fairways and greens were pretty firm, as opposed to lush and soggy as with most holiday courses, but maybe it is not a holiday course! I liked the course, because it presented a lot of strategy, even though saying that there are some buildings in view would be an understatement.

In defense of the course; It was built 20 years ago, and designed by Karl Litten. At the time it was way out of town and apparently it was the first grass course on the Arabic Peninsula.

hole 1 p4, with a characteristic shortcut option over the dogleg bunker.

hole 6 p4, interesting green shape.

Hole 8p4; probably best hole on the course: tee shot down hill, dogleg to the right, approach uphill, bite off as much as you dare. Desert bushes awaiting the overconfident (like me). 

Hole 18; tee

Hole 18 (p5)second shot; notice the cut landing area left propelling High and long draws from the tee towards the fairway. TW found the water here to deny himself victory in 2001 (or 2002?).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:45:55 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Re: Dubai; Emirates Golf, Majlis Course (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:28:38 AM »
Dear Christian,
A lot has changed in 20 years, hasn't it?

Thanks for the photos, the surrounding construction has changed even more since the last time I was there.

Did you see any other courses while in the U.A.E.?

Ben

Cristian

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:07 PM »
Dear Christian,
A lot has changed in 20 years, hasn't it?

Thanks for the photos, the surrounding construction has changed even more since the last time I was there.

Did you see any other courses while in the U.A.E.?

Ben

I played Jebel Ali, a 9 hole course near the harbour. A nice course with small greens. Also in excellent condition (no overwatering). However the on chipping areas around the greens the grass was left too long, other than that a good course. Unfortunately I did not bring my camera with me....

Tyler Ince

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
Christian - I am playing Jebel Ali tomorrow and will have to get a few pics.  Hope it is in good shape and not too sandy of a day. This whole week has had poor visibility, I had no idea the desert skies were not so blue!
'til the Road Hole....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back