News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Sam Maryland

Re: Ring My Bell
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 08:36:25 PM »
#5 at Hendersonville CC.

#18 at Los Verdes (more of a "buzzer" than a bell).

SL_Solow

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
Reaching back into the dim recesses of my memory from my days in law school, I recall that Putterham Meadows, the muni in Brookline Mass. which abuts The Country Club, has both a bell on a dogleg par 4 and a periscope on a different hole.  It wasn'r in very good shape but the routing was very interesting; old school with alot of quirk.

Jim Colton

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »
Did somebody say Erin Hills?

Jeff Tang after birdie on the Dell hole.  We're having tacos tonight!

John Pflum

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »
At least three courses in Cinci have bells. Maketewah #s 10 and 17, Miami View #12, and Glen View #16.

Also O'Bannon #14. 

Blue Ash used to have periscope but I haven't played there in a looong time. 
--
jvdp

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »
Jasper Park
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Gene Greco

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »
         The Maiden Hole, the par 4 third,  at Southampton Golf Club has one over the hill on the right side.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »
The little know Liberty Lake golf course in the Spokane area has a bell on the 15th to be rung after clearing the fairway.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »
#5 and #7 at Greywalls.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 08:31:39 AM »
4th at Enniscrone, a tumbling par 5 has a bell at the lowest point of the fairway where the hole becomes blind from the tee

Paul Jones

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 09:10:41 AM »
We have a bell at my home course that you have to ring before entering the driving range to find a wayard ball off the 1st tee.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
At least three courses in Cinci have bells. Maketewah #s 10 and 17, Miami View #12, and Glen View #16.

Also O'Bannon #14. 

Blue Ash used to have periscope but I haven't played there in a looong time. 

Indian Ridge #12 has one as well.  Played Blue Ash in October, but I didn't think the equipment on 18 was working correctly.  They were supposed to have one of those green/red light things.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
7th and 11th on The Old at Sunningdale (both after blind drives) and 9th on The New.

It can be very annoying when a group in front forgets to ring a bell!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »
The 10th at Taconic has a periscope.  I remember the bell hole at Putterham (I was 16 the one time I played it--27 years ago).  It is a very New Englandy thing, as the courses were built at a time when no once sued anyone and golf was a contact sport.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
Piping Rock's 15th green/16th tee has had a bell as long as I can remember, and a wonderful bell it is too----you don't even have to ring it, just tap it with your putter and you can hear it a good long way.

I have a wonderful old bell right outside my kitchen. It's how my wife calls me to dinner!  ;)

KBanks

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »
I hope others can confirm this, but I remember one at Machrihanish as you exit the seventh green.

The hole is wonderful: the longest par four on the course, together with a blind approach!

Ken

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:05 PM »
Orinda Country Club in the East Bay has a bell on the first green.  The short par four has a drop-shot second shot to a green the size of a throw rug, if I recall correctly.

George Freeman

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
At Elmbrook golf course in Traverse City, MI, they have a mirror secured high up on a tree behind the tenth tee angled to allow the group about to tee off to turn their backs to the hole, look up, and view the blind uphill fairway landing zone, checking if the group ahead is clear.

Interesting method I have not seen on any other courses...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

mike_beene

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 11:30:41 PM »
We have a periscope on the second tee at Lakewood.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 03:19:39 AM »
One of the munis in Cedar Rapids Iowa has a 20 foot tall periscope tower so you can see the blind fairway on a par 5, to be sure it is clear before you tee off.

The Elks Club 9 holer in Iowa City has a bell off the second hole, which is an interesting perversion of the usual drop shot par 3 ("the drop shot par 5")

Both are older courses designed around the turn of the century, natch.

One thing I've never done that I think would be cool to hear would be to hit the bell with an approach shot.  I have to think that would be pretty loud!  Whether it would be louder than the empty corn silo I duck hooked into once I don't know, but it would at least have a more pleasing tone! ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tom Yost

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
The course I grew up playing at the Armco Employees Association Park in Middletown Ohio had two bell holes back in the late 60's early 70's.

A blind shot to the lakeside green on the downhill par 4 14th and then the return uphill par 4 15th both had bells to advise when the green was clear.

A new dam and lake expansion sometime in the early 70's required relocating the 14th green and 15th tee, eliminating the need for the bells and this feature passed into history.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »

Mike

Bells abound in Scotland.  There are two at my home course (Aberdour) and several at Mackenzie's Pitreavie.  The coolest one I have seen is the one at the 15th at Cruden Bay.  The bell is high up the slope of the hill you must hit over, and is rung by pulling a 50 yards or so rope at the edge of the green.  I know the hole is being remodeled.  Hopefully they'll keep the bell.....

Rich

I second the bell at the 15th at Cruden Bay.  Playing there seven years ago my partner in a foursomes match, a generally skillful player, pulled his drive and it landed on the little flat area up on the side of the hill where the bell sits (believe it or not).  I had a good lie and managed to pop the ball onto the green from there.  If you take this link to the Cruden Bay website I believe that in the last photo of 15 you can see the bell tower on the hillside to the left (the green being on behind the hill and a little to the right).  http://www.crudenbaygolfclub.co.uk/newholes.htm#h15 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:16:36 PM by Carl Johnson »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
Now deleted, thanks to the advice from Bill McBride.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:18:38 PM by Carl Johnson »

Niall C

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
Silloth has bells for the approach shot to the 1st, the drive at the 4th and the approach shot for the 14th. It also has a a fixed step ladder arrangement beside the tee at the 3rd so that those teeing off can go up the ladder to see if the landing area is clear.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
Mike -

Does Manufacturers or LuLu have a bell on one of their holes? 

I think I remember that 16 on Philadelphia Country has a mirror up in the trees to see if the green is clear.  Is it still there?  I don't remember that it was very effective.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 01:14:12 PM »
last post was supposed to begin with a the quote from Rich Goodale, with the second paragraph being my comment.  I didn't pull it off quite right, did I.  Still getting the hang of the site.

Carl Johnson

Carl, you can go back and edit.  Just put your post after the "[/quote]" that finished Rich's post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back