News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Will push up greens make a comeback ?
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
One of the reasons I've always liked and prefered pushup greens is the ease in which they can be dramatically contoured and recontoured.

With the economy in its present and projected state, will golf courses in the future lean more toward pushup greens and away from USGA greens ?

Will developers and clubs discover that pushup greens are more flexible in terms of design, initial and future ?

What courses built in the last 20 years have dramatically contoured USGA green specs including the choker sand layer ?

Ed Oden

Re: Will push up greens make a comeback ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:39 PM »
Pat, Charlotte CC's restored/renovated greens are as boldly contoured as any new greens I have seen in recent years.  I assume they were built to USGA specs.  They will be on display at next year's US Womens Am.

My guess is that the current economic climate will not significantly influence the decision to go with pushup or USGA greens.  I doubt many clubs will be investing in new greens until things turn around.  And once recovery occurs, won't the thought process of most clubs be substantially the same as it has been in the recent past where USGA greens dominate?

Ed

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
One of the reasons I've always liked and prefered pushup greens is the ease in which they can be dramatically contoured and recontoured.

With the economy in its present and projected state, will golf courses in the future lean more toward pushup greens and away from USGA greens ?

Will developers and clubs discover that pushup greens are more flexible in terms of design, initial and future ?

What courses built in the last 20 years have dramatically contoured USGA green specs including the choker sand layer ?

Where are you getting that a pushup green is more cost-effective? Are you saying going through a 2-3 year process of allowing the grass and soil to adapt to each other to provide adequate (NOT to be confused with ideal) conditions is going to be more cost effective?

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
Actually, I hope the NGLA thread makes a comeback.  ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:01:31 AM »
Kirk,

This weekend.

Kyle,

What 2 to 3 year process ?

Can you name a golf course with push up greens that took 2-3 years to mature.

Typically, USGA greens remain hard for about 5 years, so even if a pushup green took 2-3 years, it's still 3-2 years ahead of the USGA counterpart.

The pushup greens at my home club, built circa 1927, function magnificently, even after 82 years.

The pushup greens at Mountain Ridge, Plainfield, Ridgewood, Shackamaxon and other Ross and Tillinghast clubs in the area function equally great.

AND, they can be easily recontoured, whereas recontouring a USGA spec green is almost impossible and certainly far more expensive.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:10:46 AM »
Kirk,

This weekend.

Kyle,

What 2 to 3 year process ?

Can you name a golf course with push up greens that took 2-3 years to mature.

Typically, USGA greens remain hard for about 5 years, so even if a pushup green took 2-3 years, it's still 3-2 years ahead of the USGA counterpart.

The pushup greens at my home club, built circa 1927, function magnificently, even after 82 years.

The pushup greens at Mountain Ridge, Plainfield, Ridgewood, Shackamaxon and other Ross and Tillinghast clubs in the area function equally great.

AND, they can be easily recontoured, whereas recontouring a USGA spec green is almost impossible and certainly far more expensive.

You've listed 4. Add pretty well any other golf course built before Spec greens came around - that's among the reasons why grow-ins took much longer in the past. Add the demand for a much lower HOC along with a much richer crop and we're talking years before greens are established to the necessary requirements on push ups.

We're talking getting the proper genetic diversity into the green in order for the soil variances to match the genetic variances. Push up greens work superbly long term, you are right - but as an initial investment there will be some lag. Early success with them is a function of equal parts soil composition, budget, and luck.

While I do not wholly support Spec Greens for a number of reasons, financial considerations would be low on my list.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:12:30 AM by Kyle Harris »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 02:16:04 AM »
Kyle,

isn't the short term mentality (that you are putting forward as a positive for USGA greens and negative for 'push ups') one of the main factors for why the world is in this financial mess? ;) Also, you will find that many new projects go bust dispite USGA in their first few years of operation.

I think you will find it depends on the the type of course and the desired maintenance program for the sward. In a cool climate, if you are going with an environmentally 'sustainable' approach then push ups will usually preform better from the start.

Ian Larson

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:41:37 AM »
Jon,

Could you elaborate on why a soil push up green would perform better from the start? Ill wait for a response before getting into it.

I will say this for now, so take it, digest it and throw some replies out there.....

.....soil push up greens (that are not sand based) are always trying to achieve what USGA greens are already designed to do.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 05:12:18 AM »

‘soil push up greens (that are not sand based) are always trying to achieve what USGA greens are already designed to do’

An interesting quote, where did you dig it up????. Indeed, what are USGA greens designed to do?

Firstly Ian, I never said ‘SOIL push up greens’ and I did notice your quote excludes sand based push ups. So you tell me when is a push up green a soil based or sand based one??? Also is not the inclusion of organic matter in most USGA green mixes actually an atempt to take the mix towards what a push up green (soil or sand based) already is?

Both types have of course their pros and cons and I am just putting forward the pros of a push up in certain circumstances.

I am commenting form the point of a sustainable type grow in and maintenance. I do not believe that the USGA build is the one size fits all solution that many of its supporters try to push. It has big issues with lack of nutrient storage and also major problems as far as water is concerned.

In a cool season climate:

A push up will grow in better than a USGA with out an irrigation system.

A push up will grow in better than a USGA if you are only allowed to use 10g/N m2 for the first 2 seasons followed by 6g there after..

A push up will grow in better than a USGA if your not allowed to use any Phosphor

A push up will preform better than a USGA if your not allowed to use fungicides.

I hope this answers your question and I look forward to your reply.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:36:51 AM »
Kyle,

isn't the short term mentality (that you are putting forward as a positive for USGA greens and negative for 'push ups') one of the main factors for why the world is in this financial mess? ;) Also, you will find that many new projects go bust dispite USGA in their first few years of operation.

I think you will find it depends on the the type of course and the desired maintenance program for the sward. In a cool climate, if you are going with an environmentally 'sustainable' approach then push ups will usually preform better from the start.

I should state I am no fan of the USGA green.

However, I don't know of any owner/developer that would be a fan of allowing a course to sit for an extended period of time without making any revenue.

Jon,

Before Pat goes off and takes your words out of context - in what circumstances are push up greens IDEAL?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:38:46 AM by Kyle Harris »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
I just saw a conference from a USGA member... and after his conference, I would say that you can have great greens and bad greens with push-up, great greens and bad greens with USGA greens....

THE KEY IS HOW YOU MAINTAIN THEM

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »
paging Mike Young
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Patrick,

I think the push-up green will make a come back, but not in every part of the country. And let's understand that in most cases, the old push-up greens were not 100% native soil from adjacent to the green. It was almost always amended with sand, manure, compost, bone meal, and even lime. Some times these amendments were added in layers.

I think what needs to happen is where the "native soil" greens are functioning successfully, we need to hear reports and testimonies of that so the rest of the golf world can embrace it with confidence.

But let's keep in mind that in some areas of the country we will always need soil to be imported to the green site because the native soils tend too much on the clayey side of the spectrum, or because the irrigation source is so high in salt that we need to have really high percolation rates, the like of which can only be accomplished with medium to coarse sand.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

Where are you getting that a pushup green is more cost-effective? Are you saying going through a 2-3 year process of allowing the grass and soil to adapt to each other to provide adequate (NOT to be confused with ideal) conditions is going to be more cost effective?

Friars Head's greens were not built to spec and they turned out fabulous. I DO think that USGA greens are safer and it is one less thing a superintendent has to worry about.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
I come from the land of push up greens...the north shore of Chicago. I never minded them at all and never understood why many on here hated them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but arn't push up greens designed so the greens could survive high water?
H.P.S.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »
I come from the land of push up greens...the north shore of Chicago. I never minded them at all and never understood why many on here hated them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but arn't push up greens designed so the greens could survive high water?

I'm not sure there has ever been a groundswell (pun-ish, almost) of hate towards push up greens on this website.

There are some greens that are elevated to keep them above floodplains, but that isn't part of the definition of a push up green.

The one characteristic of push up greens is the amount of slope built in to facilitate surface drainage, since infiltration rates are generally much lower than USGA or sand based greens.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
To answer the question I would say NO. USGA greens as mentioned are safe, in the UK, an 18 hole course will cost perhaps £250,000 for 18 greens. You could probably trim £80,000 of that if you exclude the bits outside the rootzone and on a low budget course its a possible. Rarely in the UK do we have good enough usuable soils. USGA rootzones buy time, you get a good green in 12 months, the cost implications versus the risk are not worth.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Philippe Binette

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
A question for you guys...

could you built a green with only the Rootzone mix as a push-up over a clay base and some pipe below the clay base for drainage.

Basically a USGA green, but not in a well and no gravel layer.

Just asking

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »

could you built a green with only the Rootzone mix as a push-up over a clay base and some pipe below the clay base for drainage.

Just asking
yes, that was kinda my -£80,000 option
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »

Just asking

That is essentially what we do most of the time.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ian Larson

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »
Let me start by saying that I like both and have worked on both. My first being Ridgewood Country Club. But I dont understand when someone takes the stance that push-ups are superior. Both have positives and negatives. But it is the push ups that can have more negatives, unless the native soil is of a SIGNIFIGANT SAND PERCENTAGE. If I had a site with sandy soil I would say hell yes, lets push them up and save thousands of dollars.

Lets go back to Pats initial post. Will they make a comeback? If a new course is being built in his town of Philadelphia, NO. If a new course was being built down the road in the Pine Barrens and coastal New Jersey, YES. Theres not a developer or agronomist out there that would look at a properties heavy soil, lets say around Philadelphia or New York, and recommend using that soil for a push up green. Will it work, YES. But will the entire mission after that be to ammend it with sand to increase percolation rates, YES.

And that is why push-up greens are always trying to become USGA greens....

....a pushup green that does not have a considerable amount of sand is going to spend the rest of its existence being ammended with sand to increase water percolation rates. A USGA is designed to already be where the push-up is taking decades to get to.

Read that again......."A USGA is designed to already be where the push-up is taking decades to get to."

Thats why you have a guy like Patrick wondering if the push-up will make a comeback, because his 82 year old push-ups are working magnificently. And I know hes right with that, all of the soil push-ups in the old east coast courses built back in the turn of the century ARE working magnificently. And I envy the clubs who have the good fortune of having them. But its because they have been ammended for decades. I would not want to be a super at a new course in the New York / Philadelphia / Washington areas with native soil push-ups that have the low end of sand percentage. It would be a nightmare in the hot and humid summers and dealing with soggy greens after rains. I wouldnt take the job based purely on that. Todays expectations are different than the turn of the centuries. Owners want a new course to up to working condition a year after they are built. I can assure you that wasnt the case at the turn of the century.

To reply to Jon Wiggets points.....

"An interesting quote, where did you dig it up?Huh. Indeed, what are USGA greens designed to do?"

That would be from yours truly. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of soil science thats a very true statement, unless the
           push-up is sand based native soil.

"Firstly Ian, I never said ‘SOIL push up greens’ and I did notice your quote excludes sand based push ups. So you tell me when is a push up green a soil based or sand based one???"

Push-ups can be done anywhere. On sites where soil is ideal and sites where soil is not ideal. The spirit of a push-up is to literally
           "PUSH-UP" the surrounding native soil. If you have a site with a clay soil and import a sandier soil I wouldnt say you have push-up
           green. So to try and answer your question, yes you never said SOIL push-up greens, but "PUSH-UP" is a universal term. Not intended
           solely for sandy soil, it also includes heavier soils. Like you would find in Patrick's neck of the woods.

"Also is not the inclusion of organic matter in most USGA green mixes actually an atempt to take the mix towards what a push up green (soil or sand based) already is?"

Yes you are absolutely right. Just like the push-up is incorporating sand to become what the USGA is. The biggest difference, read this
           carefully, is that the USGA incorporates the peat moss organic only once in it lifetime. At the mixing plant. After that there is no need
           to continually keep adding organic.

"I am commenting form the point of a sustainable type grow in and maintenance. I do not believe that the USGA build is the one size fits all solution that many of its supporters try to push. It has big issues with lack of nutrient storage and also major problems as far as water is concerned."

I hate to say this but the USGA green is very adaptable to any climate to any circumstance, therefore it can be considered a one size
           fits all solution. Now before you start attacking me on that statement, it all comes down to whether or not you have access to a good
           native or local soil. If you do and its economical to use or import, your best option is to use that. But if you dont, the USGA will
           ALWAYS work. In any situation. Thats why ALOT of developers just use it. Because theres less risk for the reward.

As far as nutrient storage you are way off and should probably refer back to the Turf 101 book and read up on the CEC chapter.
           For those who dont know what CEC is its the CATION EXCHANGE CAPACITY. This is the measurement of the number of exchange sites
           on a single soil colloid. The colloid is what nutrients will naturally cling to. Soil naturally has a higher CEC than sand. But that is why
           USGA greens are mixed with a percentage of peat moss or organic. Peat moss has a very high CEC. So the greens mix is designed
           to hold nutrients just as well as a soil green. Now if you are talking about straight sand, of course soil is better. If straight sand is
           used it will spend the rest of its existence incorporating organic into its profile.

"A push up will grow in better than a USGA with out an irrigation system."

Maybe in your neck of the woods where rainfall is not a problem. But in alot of parts in the world rainfall is not consistent. And it
           matter what your growing medium is my friend, no water no grow. Especially in the grow-in stage. And who is building a golf course
           without an irrigation system these days?

"A push up will grow in better than a USGA if you are only allowed to use 10g/N m2 for the first 2 seasons followed by 6g there after.."

This is a generalized blanket statement. There are plenty of deficient soil sites and types out there. Just because its a push-up
            doesnt mean the nutrient input goes down to zero.

I can tell you right now that Winged Foot, Merion, Oakmont and Ridgewood spray their greens once a week and apply .10 lb of N
            per 1000 square feet. They have native soil push-ups. Are you going to criticize those supers for not maintaining those greens
            correctly or excessively? I sure as hell wouldnt!!!

"A push up will grow in better than a USGA if your not allowed to use any Phosphor"

I agree with you

"A push up will preform better than a USGA if your not allowed to use fungicides.'

I disagree with this. I think they both are susceptible to disease equally. But I think the USGA will have a hand up with being able
             to be kept drier. If your growing in or just maintaining, during a rainy season, I would much rather have a high sand based green.
             I know the push-up could be sand based, if it is then great. But if I had a heavy soil push-up, the water that is SLOOOWWLLYY
             moving through the profile is just incubating all the pathogens waiting in the thatch and profile.
             moisture + warmth + pathogen = disease incubation

Ill leave it with that for now. My girlfriend wants me off GCA on a lovely SoCal afternoon. :-\

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
Ian Larson,

Don't view the question in the sole context of agronomics.

View it in the context of architecture, the ability to introduce pronounced internal contouring and the ease of redesign, which could be a double edged sword.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »
Ian Larson,

View it in the context of architecture, the ability to introduce pronounced internal contouring and the ease of redesign, which could be a double edged sword.

Patrick,

You are right. The USGA green has to be built according to a plan because the subgrade has to be engineered to mirror what the final grade will be. There is one architect I know who has not always followed that guideline - doing his own final grading, so that there are places on his greens where the final grade is 24 inches higher than the gravel bed in one place, and maybe only 10 inches higher in other places. Those greens are very difficult to maintain uniform moisture in, and the localized dry spots that occur over the top of the places where the sand is more than 12 inches higher than the subgrade are incurable. Those greens require constant hand watering in places.

To build a USGA green right, you can not make changes to the surface grade after the subgrade has been set. But with a push-up green you ussually (not always) can make those changes without compromising the hydrology.

Every soil type has a different capillary curve to it. Some soils will not maintain a healthy air to water ratio unless they are over 9 inches deep. So if you shaved part of a pushup green down below that 9 inch layer level, you could have a wet spot develop.

Actually, every kind of soil has its own issues.

We think of the push-up green concept as being something natural verses a USGA green concept that is artifical. But I think that demonstrates our misunderstanding of how sophisticated they were back in the day. There was good science in the way those push-up greens were built. They were not, as you might think, natural or unartifical. But they certainly were easier to build and modify than a properly built USGA green.

Donald Ross would float the subgrade of the entire putting green (banks and mounds included) in one rolling mass. Then the final layers of modified topsoil would be laid and seeded. That's why his greens tie in so nicely with their locations; because all the lines meet with grade unabruptly. He wouldn't have been able to do that quite as effectly if he was building a USGA green, because the mix of the USGA green is placed in a cavity. That cavity would have not allowed him to float the whole green in one motion. So he wouldn't have been able  to make all those lines so harmonious - because they were all connected to one sweeping motion, and not split up over several motions like they are with a USGA green.

Thanks Patrick. This is a great subject you got going here.

I hope you get back to NGLA. We were all enjoying that one especially.  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:28:39 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
Sorry Patrcik, I see you did get back to NGLA.

yea   :o

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
Ian Larson,

You have to view it that way because architects and supers jobs are on the line.

I'll make an assumption that the greens they are playing on today at the match play are USGA spec.   With that said there is plenty of movement and the green speeds are kept to about a 10.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back