News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Orlando: Sugarloaf Mountain, Deltona, or Mountain Lake?
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
If you had time for one round in Orlando and assuming you could get on any of these three....what is the favorite?

I love C&C (Bandon Trails is the most underrated course on the planet), I have never played a Raynor course, and I threw Deltona in because of Matt Ward's (whom I highly value) recommendation.

One round, which one?

PS.  OR if you could play Old Memorial in Tampa instead would that factor in?  I simply know very little about any of these and wanted to hear everyones' recommendations.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Orlando: Sugarloaf Mountain, Deltona, or Mountain Lake?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »

I love C&C (Bandon Trails is the most underrated course on the planet), I have never played a Raynor course, and I threw Deltona in because of Matt Ward's (whom I highly value) recommendation.

quote author=Mike Sweeney link=topic=38047.msg787240#msg787240 date=1230725582]
Matt,

At some point you need to see the re-do of The Deltona Club by Bobby Weed between Orlando and Daytona Beach. I went back yesterday, and they have fantastic land, lots of variety, heroic shots and very good greens that need just a touch more speed. The course also has a no-rakes on the course policy and it plays very firm with balls bouncing all over the place. I would be curious to hear your opinion because some may not be able to overlook a flaws such as the neighborhood houses which are around, but are never in play. The small clubhouse should open up soon as they are now working out of the cart barn.

Chip,

I have been carrying Matt like a backpack around here for years!  ;)

By the way if you have never played a Raynor and you can get on Mountain Lake, this is the end of the thread.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:14:02 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Stephen Britton

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
I haven't played Sugarloaf, Deltona or Mountain Lake but I have played Old Memorial and I thought it was great. The greens were some of the fastest greens I have ever putted on and I thought the layout was really solid. The whole experience is really cool, the caddy program, the cottages and the locker room is awesome!

From the photos I've seen of Sugarloaf Mountain surely Old Memorial is the preference..
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »
Of the four: Mountain Lake

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
Mountain Lake, without question.

Gene Greco

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »
    Mountain Lake..... is Brigadoon.

The place is a throwback to 100 years ago.

Pseudo Palm Beach circa 1923 in the middle of nowhere.

When I was there the Croquet Championship was being held and all contestants were in dress whites.

The course is a blast to play and incorporates the usual Raynor/MacDonald elements in its par 70 design.

Breakfast, 36 holes, drinks, dinner and a night spent in the historic Colony House is one of the most unique and delightful experiences I have ever had in the world of golf.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Adam_Messix

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »
I like all of the courses that have been mentioned a lot, all are excellent and worth seeing including Old Memorial but.....

It's Mountain Lake and it's no contest.  Mr. Greco eloquently nailed it. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
wow, never seen so much unanimity on here.  Mountain Lake must be pretty dag gum good!

thanks for the advice guys.

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »
Wow, I guess I'm off my rocker.  I've played Mountain Lake three times and really like it.  That said, the idea that it is a quantum leap better than the others mentioned shocks me.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
A weekend at Mountain Lake is a special experience.  The golf, food, drinks, hotel, everything is special.

Jason Connor

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
I'm just curious, and I am NOT asking for access.

But how easy is it to get on Mountain Lake?

I remember calling there when I moved to Florida 2 years ago and they weren't allowing visitors.  Is there some stay & play possibility?

I've played Deltona and it was a fun round.  Certainly a bit more rolling land than I'm used to in Orlando and the course was in great shape, but that was in the winter.

Unfortunately I haven't been to SM yet.
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

John_Conley

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
Unfortunately I haven't been to SM yet.

There, it's a date!  I'll go.

Mountain Lake has a lot of out of area members that stay on site.  I think a few guys that post here have joined.  The downstroke is not that much, so you are mostly paying lodge and green fees.  Like Bill says, it is awfully neat.  A step back in time.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
wow, never seen so much unanimity on here.  Mountain Lake must be pretty dag gum good!

thanks for the advice guys.

I would disagree and make every effort to go see Old Memorial. Just behind Sawgrass and Jupiter Hills as the best course in the State that I have seen.
H.P.S.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »
From the aerial pics, Mountain Lake looks like Bob Cupp's Palmetto Hall with all the greco roman shapes and corners....:(

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
From the aerial pics, Mountain Lake looks like Bob Cupp's Palmetto Hall with all the greco roman shapes and corners....:(

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Trust me, it's not played from the helicopter.

Very worth a visit.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:51 AM »
Chip

Play Mountain Lake. You will love it!

Rob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back