News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_McKenzie

Cabo Update- The Dunes Course
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
Ran was kind enough to introduce the Dunes Course at Diamante Cabo San Lucas to the discussion group several months ago, so I thought I would follow up with a few updated images of the course taken by Larry Lambrecht a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, the project has been on hold now for a few months due to issues with the original lender, but we are hoping that work will resume soon so that final course construction and detailing can be finished properly.

Hole #2, par-3

Hole #4, short risk/reward par-4

Hole #11, par-3

Another view of the 11th taken during the late afternoon 

#15 green, par-4 playing out of the dunes and onto the beach

Hole #16, par-3 on the beach

Hole #18, a long dogleg left par-4 finisher

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:56:53 PM by J_McKenzie »

Sean Leary

Re: Cabo Update
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
Wow. Looks like more like a links course than a desert course.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
Wow!  Looks awesome.  I am going to be there in late April, I wish it was open for play!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
Looks pretty sweet...

... dollar at 15+mex pesos ...

Ran, when do we get our Cabo travel itineraries? ;D 

I want to sit next to Joe H. and Dan K. on the bus, right behind Pat Mucci and Tom Paul. ;D ;D   

David Neveux

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »
These photographs are stunning, thank you for sharing ;D

Nev

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
My thanks too, J Mac.  Just lovely -- I'm not sure this is the right word, but the "proportions" seem spot on.  Best wishes for having it up and running again very soon

Peter

Adam_Messix

Re: Cabo Update- The Dunes Course
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »
I was in Cabo last week and the weather was great.  Golf courses still were getting some play although everyone I talked to said play was down. 

Where exactly is The Dunes Course located?  Is it on the North side of Cabo San Lucas away from the "tourist corridor." 

J_McKenzie

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
Adam,

The course is located on the Pacific side of the peninsula, approx. 10-20 minutes drive west of Cabo San Lucas. 

John

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »
I was in Cabo last week and the weather was great.  Golf courses still were getting some play although everyone I talked to said play was down. 

Where exactly is The Dunes Course located?  Is it on the North side of Cabo San Lucas away from the "tourist corridor." 

Adam, the course is out on the Pacific. Currently difficult to get there but new roads are planned. If you are relatively familiar it is just beyond the Pueblo Bonito properties (Sunset and Pacifica).

Should have looked me up whilst in our area.

As for golf here definitely down but our place had 325 players yesterday, 325 today and will see another 300 tomorrow so all not lost.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »
And Seņor Lambrecht is as good woth rod, reel and rutter as with his camera.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »
Greg--

I'm sorry I missed you in the shop....they said you were busy and that's usually a good thing.

The day I played at Cabo del Sol, there seemd to be a good amount of play and the pace of play was fantastic, we were around in 3 hrs. 40 min. teeing off at 10 a.m.  I'm hoping to get some pictures of CDS up at some point in the near future in regards to how it's maintained correctly, firm and fast.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
The roads can be rough if you're in the wrong area that's for sure.  The little bit of drive out of San Jose del Cabo to Puerto Los Cabos was rough.  The course(s) are good but the highlight of the visit was seeing the grey whales playing in the ocean, an incredible sight. 

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
John, the pictures are absolutely stunning.  The second hole looks like the battleground for an evolutionary struggle between grass and sand.  Do winds constantly shifting the front lines?  It will be interesting to see how that hole looks in a few years.  I hope the project gets back on track soon.

Ed

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
Greg--

I'm sorry I missed you in the shop....they said you were busy and that's usually a good thing.

The day I played at Cabo del Sol, there seemd to be a good amount of play and the pace of play was fantastic, we were around in 3 hrs. 40 min. teeing off at 10 a.m.  I'm hoping to get some pictures of CDS up at some point in the near future in regards to how it's maintained correctly, firm and fast.

Uh oh... when were you here?

Hopefully on the tail end of "bringing it back" as the super had let the course get a bit on the "green" side before we shut down all non essential irrigation for nearly two weeks, getting the course DECIDEDLY on the dry side before massaging it back into what should now be optimum playing condition.

A delicate balance given the underlying growth medium.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
Absolutely amazing pictures.  I would love to visit one day and see this course in person.   :o

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
John, the pictures are absolutely stunning.  The second hole looks like the battleground for an evolutionary struggle between grass and sand.  Do winds constantly shifting the front lines?  It will be interesting to see how that hole looks in a few years.  I hope the project gets back on track soon.

Ed

Dune migration will be an issue (particularly with 25-35 MPH winds not uncommon) which is in large part the "unfinished" part of trying to stabalize some dune areas that are obvious issues... many drift fences... etc. Paul Cowley and Forest Richardson had a conversation about this in a previous thread about the course.  

It may not be that bad as with a very limited body count they have been able to keep ahead of it thus far.... as you point out you see evidence in the photo of hole #2.

Either way it is a keeper and a welcome addition to the Cabo golf family. We need soemthing new and exciting in terms of golf courses down here.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
Wow - amazing to see a links course with the gorgeous turquoise waters of the gulf.

With the dunes migration, sand movements, natural beauty of the site, etc. how are they planning on incorporating cart paths?

Will they use packed dirt, red clay, etc. instead of the nasty looking cement or black top?

I assume, unfortunately, that they will have to because of the rather warm climate in cabo.

Fingers crossed you guys are open next May when I'm in the hizzy!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
Wow - amazing to see a links course with the gorgeous turquoise waters of the gulf.

With the dunes migration, sand movements, natural beauty of the site, etc. how are they planning on incorporating cart paths?

Will they use packed dirt, red clay, etc. instead of the nasty looking cement or black top?

I assume, unfortunately, that they will have to because of the rather warm climate in cabo.

Fingers crossed you guys are open next May when I'm in the hizzy!

They are using railroad ties buried into the sand as cart paths... will be interesting to see how this works in terms of stability and rider comfort. The aesthetis is pretty appealing thus far.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »
Simply awsome
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

astavrides

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
I feel ignorant.  I read thru 18 posts, and everyone knew who the designer was?  A quick google revealed nothing.  Is it Doak?

paul cowley

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »

Ed

Ed....you're right that it will be interesting to see where the grass limits are in a few years.

We have this situation on many holes....one where we didn't want to create or maintain an hard edge to the grassed areas....and we resisted doing this for two reasons.

One was aesthetic, as we wanted a truer links look in appearance and playability.....even though we were in the desert and in an environment far removed from traditional links settings.
We definitely didn't want the course to resemble the more hard edged courses of the South West....not that there is anything wrong with them.

The other was more practical.....we didn't want to fight mother nature.
This can be a very wind swept environment, and whenever you put anything up in the air sand will accrete behind it, causing a build up that can be beneficial or detrimental.
The grassed area on the back of #2 is part of a huge blowout and aerodynamically we just left it alone and grassed the existing contours, with the hope that they will stay put......and so far they have.

We also decided to let the Paspalum grass run out of the irrigated areas as far as it could live......essentially letting drought conditions maintain the grass limits.
I know this might seem cruel to some that we let the grass suffer intentionally at the edges, but 'drought' is a whole lot cheaper than having to pay for hand labor...........and we can be insensitive SOB's.
Its a hard world out there.  ;)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bart Bradley

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »
Paul:

Forgive my ignorance, but what you just described sounds unique.  To which other courses have you looked for inspiration/education in this style and mode of construction?

If the look will stay, you have got a winner!

Bart

J_McKenzie

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »
Love Golf Design is the designer of The Dunes Course.  Love Golf Design consists of Davis Love III, his brother Mark Love, Bob Spence and Paul Cowley.  Bob has not been involved with the Cabo project, the design team there is Davis, Mark, and Paul- with Paul being the designer on site.   

Adam_Messix

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
Greg--

I was there on Thursday, Feb, 19th.  The place was showing brown in the fairways and the ball was running out.  The greens were quick enough.  The thing I had to keep in mind throughout the round was the ocean because that's where putts seemed to break. 

The pictures of the Dunes Course look incredible, the perfect excuse for me to go back to Cabo whenever it opens. 

Having not been to Australia, it's hard to beat Cabo for winter golf in terms of weather and quality of courses, there is a lot of excellent stuff down there and it's only going to get better with The Dunes Course and Chileno Bay opening in the near future. 

paul cowley

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »
Paul:

Forgive my ignorance, but what you just described sounds unique.  To which other courses have you looked for inspiration/education in this style and mode of construction?

If the look will stay, you have got a winner!

Bart

Bart.....it might be unique....but a lot of that is due to its unique environment.

The course is built in a semi active dune system in the southern Sonoran Desert, an area that might get on average 8" of rain a year.

Being built in pure dunes sand, it has an incredible water percolation rate an hour....probably 24"+.....something that severely limits what might want to grow here. Until you bring in a dependable water supply that is.....and then anything will grow and the Paspalum grass variety loves it [well, at least until we take it off its water support system on its edges....sometimes I think its a low wind I hear, but part of me thinks its really a low moan  :o].

But to answer your question, we made many comparisons to the old Photos of Cypress Point taken during and right after its construction.
Cypress was a wild and wind blown site with an active dune system.....and its interesting to see how adding water and grass has combined to tame it.

Another unique feature is that you will be able to play in links type wind conditions while its in the 70's and 80's, and without the driving rain....not your normal Bandon or UK experience.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:04:13 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back