News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

2:02 PM Eastern Standard Time: Tiger tees off today...
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:28:36 AM »
For those of you, including me, who have waited 8 months for Tiger to return, his tee time today is 2:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

CJ Carder

Re: 2:02 PM Eastern Standard Time: Tiger tees off today...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:03 AM »
Thanks Cary!  The silly PGATour.com website said all times were eastern and still had him at 12:02.  That would've been a rough time for the people starting at 7:35 am eastern in Arizona... which would mean they were teeing off at 5:30!  :-)

Tom Walsh

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
Have I been 'waiting' for the return. Not really. Will I watch some, sure. On the other hand the more I examine the tiger record, the more impressed I am. What did he play 6 tournaments last year? won three incl the US Open? A career for many. On a bad leg. Hogan-like. We may not see his like again in our lifetimes. He has been so good, well I want him to break Nicklaus's 20 (sorry '18 professional majors' is too much for me). So for me he's actually another notch closer to the Bear with his three amateurs.

Yep I'll be watching :)
"vado pro vexillum!"

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
BIRDIE!  Boy, that layoff has made him rusty... ;D  He's an alien higher life form.

David Neveux

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
Good on him.

Unfortunately this means we will see very limited coverage of any other group.   :'(

BTW, whats Phil's outfit approval / dissapproval rating this afternoon?

Nev

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »
2nd hole approach to within 3 feet. Looks like Jones is going to get a beating today...

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
I wonder if The Golf Channel's countdown clock has now started counting up?  Just like NASA after a launch.

Was it just me or was that clock over the top?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
It was over the top.  The Golf Channel should change their name to The Tiger Channel.

In my sick mind I was kind of hoping for Jones to pull an upset just to watch the media and TGC cry for days.   But after watching Jones play the first 4 holes the odds of that are a million to one.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »
It was over the top.  The Golf Channel should change their name to The Tiger Channel.

In my sick mind I was kind of hoping for Jones to pull an upset just to watch the media and TGC cry for days.   But after watching Jones play the first 4 holes the odds of that are a million to one.

Tiger only 1up through 7 now... can I get a dollar on that, Joel?
 ;D

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
Woods 2 up at the turn. If you're at work and can't watch live, PGA Tour website has live scoring, plus highlights soon after a hole is played.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
Or you can listen live on XM radio on the Net: http://www.pgatour.com/multimedia/xmplayer/index.html

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »
And with everyone playing in twosomes he's at the 15th in 4 hours.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »
And with everyone playing in twosomes he's at the 15th in 4 hours.

Wow that is slow.  Glacially so.

He's also now 4up.  Oh well it was worth my $1.  Dreams of retirement are put on hold.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »
The young bucks Villegas and Kim sure administered whippings today.

Or, should I call them the white buckle boys.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 06:15:18 PM »
Match play twosome with gimmes.

Without sounding too much like Mr. Morrow I must say what they're playing on Tour nowadays isn't golf. It's five hours of mindless dicking around with a little golf sprinkled in whenever they can fit it between their spastic "routines".

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
Was J.B. Holmes there this year?  I remember it was this event last year in round one where his routine was in full bloom, by which I mean it lasted most of the spring.

Can't blame him this year.

John Moore II

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
Yes, he played a fairly good round today. As much as I'd like to see my fellow North Carolina State alum Tim Clark take him down tomorrow, I don't see it happening. But I tell you what, you think the people on Golf Channel have been creaming in their undies about him returning, just wait to see what happens if he winds up playing McIlroy in the 3rd round. The talk and coverage over that one will be insane. Personally, I want to see Tiger-McIlroy go at it. Real good stuff.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:43 PM »
Yes, he played a fairly good round today. As much as I'd like to see my fellow North Carolina State alum Tim Clark take him down tomorrow, I don't see it happening. But I tell you what, you think the people on Golf Channel have been creaming in their undies about him returning, just wait to see what happens if he winds up playing McIlroy in the 3rd round. The talk and coverage over that one will be insane. Personally, I want to see Tiger-McIlroy go at it. Real good stuff.

I'm not sure I saw McIlroy hit a single shot today.  It didn't seem to me like anyone was overly excited about him being there.

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »

I'm not sure I saw McIlroy hit a single shot today.  It didn't seem to me like anyone was overly excited about him being there.

He was shown hitting one or two shots. Yesterday I think I heard them gushing on end about the potential of a Tiger-Rory showdown, however. Tiger got all the coverage today, and rightfully so to a degree. Most of the people who watched today didn't turn in to see Rory McIlroy or Stephen Ames or Pat Perez. They turned in to see Tiger and they got what they wanted.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
I actually think this is the best news we have had in America for several weeks. The media needs to play this up because we need hope and we need American hero's right now.

David Neveux

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:45:55 AM »
I've got Rory in the finals (taking out el tigre in rd. 3) for my office (bar) pool. 

I agree that Tiger should get the lions share of coverage, but for me and a lot of guys I know we are equally interested in seeing the other matches.  I get that the ratings are important, but come on, Tiger's match wasn't even that exciting. 

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 09:36:10 AM »
Agreed David, there were plenty of opportunities to show some other matches but they just didn't take it.  Usually it was a quick cut to a putt in another match that would inevitably be made since it had made it to air.

By the way, nice Warren Haynes reference under your avatar.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »
Couple of highlights from my day at Marana yesterday:

1) Never seen so much cactus in my life. Looking across the fairways, it was literally a forest of cactus. Apparently these things are so valuable, people steal them from other people's front yards in Arizona. They must have moved over 10,000 of them to put the course in.

2) Much like every course, Dove Mountain is a lot hillier than it appears on TV. There's a mountain range behind the clubhouse. The clubhouse is the high point of the property and all the holes fall away from it.

3) Tiger had no hitch in his walking or swing. He looked as good as new.

4) Not sure of the elevation on this course, but they were hitting the ball massive distances. Michelson hit a drive 340 yards uphill on the last that was about 330 of carry.

5) Greens are super undulating but a little slow for PGA Tour greens. Some of the pin places would be ridiculous if the greens were significantly faster.

6) Like the ad says: "These guys are really, really good". Each player was either super long or ridiculously long. The  'driveable' par 4 played about 310 yesterday and about 10 guys hit it with a 3 wood.

7) I did not see a dove.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:55:21 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »
Couple of highlights from my day at Marana yesterday:
....... He looked as good as new.

My wife thinks you're understating this....

I did not see a dove.

They're in your grocers' freezer section

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David Neveux

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »
Slee,

U know?  It's unfortunate, and makes for boring TV.  Typically outside of Tigers of Phil's matches all we get to see are a couple of putts, simply put, it sucks. 

Warren is my BOY, nice catch. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back