News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Greg Norman Suggests Pay Cut for Tour Players
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »
Wasn't Greg very vocal in his opposition to Clinton raising income taxes ?

What's changed his mind ?

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »

[/quote]

Mark

The Phoenix Open (FBR) has an attendance of over 500,000 people.  At a guesstimate of $30/person, that is $15 million in gate receipts alone, or nearly 3 times the total prize money ($5.6 million).  Add in all the ancillary income on the site and it ain't chump change.  Compare this to the (say) Spanish Open where all you can see on the telly are a few Brits with pinbk sunburned bellies wandering aimlessly outside the ropes.  Sports without spectators are kept alive only through corporate sponsorship.  I think we'll see the Euro tour crash far sooner than the US one.

Cheers?

Rich
[/quote]

"wandering aimlessly outside the ropes" !!! 

I think you'll find that us Brits know fine well where the beer tent is, thank you very much.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

I would say with the new tax plan they will be taking a 5% pay cut.

Anthony

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 11:45:30 AM »
Mark Pearce -

If oil stays under $50 a barrel for the next year or two, the Dubai money is likely to be a lot less secure than one might think.

There was an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal about the United Arab Emirates lending money in Dubai to help prop up the economy there. No one is immune from this global downturn.

DT

David,

The price of oil may go up and down but I'm absolutely sure that the oil producing economies are still raking in a fortune at very little cost relatively speaking. The cost of promoting a golf tournament in comparison is peanuts.

You have to look at the reason why the arabs are spending this money, it is to promote the region as a holiday/business destination for the day when the oil runs out. With that in mind I would suspect they will continue to support the European Tour despite the global recession.

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »

Mark

The Phoenix Open (FBR) has an attendance of over 500,000 people.  At a guesstimate of $30/person, that is $15 million in gate receipts alone, or nearly 3 times the total prize money ($5.6 million).  Add in all the ancillary income on the site and it ain't chump change.  Compare this to the (say) Spanish Open where all you can see on the telly are a few Brits with pinbk sunburned bellies wandering aimlessly outside the ropes.  Sports without spectators are kept alive only through corporate sponsorship.  I think we'll see the Euro tour crash far sooner than the US one.

Cheers?

Rich
[/quote]

"wandering aimlessly outside the ropes" !!! 

I think you'll find that us Brits know fine well where the beer tent is, thank you very much.
[/quote]

You're welcome!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back