News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Mitchell

Apologies for drawing your attention to yet another golf course ranking list but a brand new ranking detailing the top 200 courses in the USA has just been published and is here

As I've never been to the States, let alone played any of these courses I couldn't possibly comment on the merits of this list.  I'm sure others will offer their opinions  ;)

As background the UK based website www.top100golfcourses.co.uk has been ranking UK courses for the last few years.  The rankings have always seemed reliable probably because their ratings are based in part on other ranking lists - their modus operandi is described on the website as follows:
There is nothing new about rating and ranking our greatest golf courses. Numerous publications produce their own lists using all types of criteria: design, visual appeal, quality, condition of the courses, etc. They use teams of experts from all walks of golfing life to produce their own “definitive” lists. Judging panels include golf course architects/designers, amateur and professional champions, commentators, photographers and executive members of all types of golfing institutes.

What is completely fresh and original about us is the way in which we have used the data from these ranking tables. We have developed a unique and comprehensive database containing, in some cases, decades of historical ranking information.
We have then applied a series of rules and algorithms to create a current and definitive rating, based on:
Ø      Number of times that a golf course has appeared on a ranking table
Ø      Weighted in favour of courses appearing in the World rankings
Ø      Weighting courses appearing most recently in any ranking tables
Ø      Check and balance by our own team of passionate aficionados

Finally, but most importantly, we have created our own unique rating system, which is built into the "write a review" process within each individual golf course web page. This simple rating system allows you to rate each course on a scale of 1 to 6 golf balls. We have set no specific rules for you to follow when you rate a course except, naturally, that you (the reviewer) must have played the course first. Important factors, such as course location, condition (or presentation), difficulty and historical importance are left for you, the reviewer, to judge.

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

PCCraig

Andrew-

Pretty interesting list...one that most on here would like?

I think the best part of it are the "reviews" on the bottom, to at least explain why they ranked the course the way they did.
H.P.S.

astavrides

very nice site.  it would be good if they had a top 200 US public course list too.

Rich Goodale

As a "survey of surveys" this one will tend towards the conventional wisdom, even more that all the other ratings and rankings do.

The numbers are trivial, as with all rankings.  What is missing, and always is, is the answer to the questions, "Why?"

mike_malone

I'm looking forward to my tour of the U.K. in Sept. I see some Irish courses that I find just ok ranked higher than most of the courses I will play. All of the courses I am to play are, however, in the UK/Ireland top 100.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back