News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Re: Measuring firmness
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 01:19:30 PM »
Ally...no, I understand were you are coming from in your desire to understand if we can compare one era with another....

What the USGA is doing with their Thumper scares me.  They will collect data, and ultimately that data will make its way into the public's thought process about course set up...and before long a member will approach a Superintendent and ask what their course "thumps" at.....the slippery slope of a "firmness" race will have begun...and I'm not sure golf needs that.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 01:51:41 PM »
There are compaction meters available that may help. Try Spectrum Technologies for a start

Soil Compaction Meters (3) types ranging form $300 to $1,800

Soil Compaction meters (often called penetrometers) are used to determine the density of soil and other material. An operator pushes a rod with attached (ASAE standard) cone into the ground. The resistance of the cone is displayed as it is pushed in the ground.

Features a stainless steel rod with depth marks of 3,6,9,12,15 and 18 inches. Analog gauge reacts to pressure applied to cone while penetrating soil.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
Larry,

I didn't know you were also a Viagronomist......

Impressive!

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
Larry,

I didn't know you were also a Viagronomist......

Impressive!

;D

This thread is getting better and better. "THE THUMPER" and now VIAGRONOMIST in the same thread, the early front runner for thread of the year.

Anthony

Craig Sweet

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »
Maybe someone will post about how magnesium stiffens your blades?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ian Larson

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
USGA Agromists measuring firmness on Sunday morning at Torrey

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »
Comparing stimpmeter readings has lead to much harm with the speed race and raising costs.
Should the measurements be categorised? For example you should only compare your own readings with similar golfcourses. Categories could be measured with total elevation change within the greens ie. Greens internal contours should be measured and then courses would be divided into groups.
First group would have internal contours from 0 to 2 feet, 2nd group 2 to4 and so on...
Would this help players to understand the differences between courses and greens?

Ian Larson

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »
No No No No No No No No No No

What a golf course is stimping should be of absolutely no concern to the golfer. How many times does it need to be said on here that the stimpmeter and the thumper is a tool used by greenkeepers to achieve consistency within their own greens. They are not speed gauges for greens. ESPECIALLY from golf course to golf course where every super is managing his greens differently, and even more so, stimping his greens differently.

Golfers have really got to get over this notion of needing to know what the greens are stimping at. Especially for purposes of bragging rights from club to club.

A real golfer knows the best thing to do is hit the practice green before the round.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 10:37:40 PM »
This is how I measure firmness of HVCC. If I have 150 yards to the center of the green and I hit my 100yd club then the course is firm. If I have to hit my 150 yd club then it is not firm and it is not golf. If I hit a wedge from 130 and it bounces on the green like a parking lot then Scott is doing his job as always.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
No No No No No No No No No No

What a golf course is stimping should be of absolutely no concern to the golfer. How many times does it need to be said on here that the stimpmeter and the thumper is a tool used by greenkeepers to achieve consistency within their own greens. They are not speed gauges for greens. ESPECIALLY from golf course to golf course where every super is managing his greens differently, and even more so, stimping his greens differently.

Golfers have really got to get over this notion of needing to know what the greens are stimping at. Especially for purposes of bragging rights from club to club.

A real golfer knows the best thing to do is hit the practice green before the round.

I used to get the question from members quite a bit..."how are the greens stimping"...my standard answer was "they are stimping very smoothly."  As long as the greens roll consistant, it matters not what the speed is.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back