News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Buczkowski

GCA - I am disappointed with you!
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »
Fellow GCAers,

Its been forever since I logged on here.  And then, the first thread I read is about how conditions at (my home club) Sugarloaf Mtn are subpar.  I'm not here to plug the course (its good but not great, Doak 6-7), but where have your morals gone.  The conditions are PERFECT for old school GCA...greens are bare in spots but run very good with the exception of #11.  Its firm, fast, and has lots of wind this time of year, way moreso than any other area course.  Have my friends at GCA forgot what golf is all about?  :)

And for my friend Mike Sweeney...as Matt Ward would say Partner you need to base your evaluation on multiple plays in many conditions. :)  I expect Dyl to hit it 300+ on #14 next winter.

Pete

PS I hope everyone is doing well...thanks so much for the well wished over the past few years.

Brad Swanson

Re: GCA - I am disappointed with you!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:02:05 PM »
Welcome back Pete! 

Cheers,
Brad

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
Welcome back Pete! 

Cheers,
Brad

Pete,
I played during the PGA show and I agree.(I posted as much)
I kept reading all the comments and began questioning whether I was that unobservant-certainly seemed fine to me.
In fact we played after a huge downpour and it still played firm and fast.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
Pete - you have to play on the golf course to see the conditions.

Pete (in blue) demonstrating the TPC Sawgrass has surprising width:

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:12:05 AM »
Mr B,

1. As a long term patron of Yale, I am not conditioning phobic. Others may have complained, not me!

2. Dylan (my 13 year old) preferred your other course Highlands Links to Sugarloaf and Mountain Lake, so what does he know!

3. My slight preference of Deltona to Sugarloaf is probably more a reflection of Deltona's Pine Valleyish terrain. I really would like to get back to WW Pine Barrens to see if Deltona is as good as I think.

4. I did hear that Bella Collina was very good.

5. Where is the Sugarloaf - My Home Course?!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »
Pete,
Where are you now and what are you doing?  Still at Disney, or have you moved on?  Any trips back to Chapel Hill and Finley?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:19:45 PM »
Pete - I really wish we had driven over after playing Pine Barrens last Oct.

You should be very proud of your home course.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »
Pete,

As one who has noted that the greens at SM are sub-par as you call it, I would note that I talked only about the greens, not the overall condition of the course.  The rest of the course is fine - firm and fast and the bunkers and waste areas are in fine shape.  The greens are another story.  Some sections of maybe eight or nine greens are very rough, particularly on the back nine, - not just "PERFECT for old school GCA".  The resodded areas are close to unplayable. That said they manged to pin areas of the greens where they were puttable.  Unfortunately I caught it on a day when there was a blanket of top-dressing on the greens which made them not fine that day.  Interestingly there is no mention of any green issues or top-dressing when you call to book a tee time.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back