News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

the get a life list....
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »
1.  Walk to the first tee at St. Andrews.  When told you cannot play, tell the starter that you have better things in life to do than argue with mindless local government factotums.
2.  Have sex in a bunker.
3.  See Tom Paul's swing in person.
4.  Give up your place on the tee at a great course to someone who deserves it/needs it more.
5.  Refuse to lay up left on the 16th at Cypress Point, even though the last time you hit a 200 yard carry was in the Ford Administraation.
6.  Experience Pat Mucci's extraordinary hospitality.
7.  Kill a thread on GCA.com that deserves to be killed.
8.  Hit a drive on the screws only to see it land in a certerline bunker.
9.  Hit a driver off the deck onto a green with your squeeze watching you.
10. Stop at a vista that hits you right between the eyes and stay there for 15 minutes. Catch up with your friends later.
11. Intentionally slice an unimportant putt in a skins game to confuse the player on your same line who has a chance to win the hole.
12.  Skull a shot from 173 yards to within inches of the pin.
13. Tell an arsehole you are playing with that he/she is an areshole.  His regular playing partners will be your friends for life.
14. Carry no more than 8 clubs.
15. Never use a caddy, even if "required."  Pay him and send him back to the caddy shack.
16. Have sex in or near a water hazard.
17. Refuse to play in the Road Hole bunker if you land there.  Drop your ball out to the right, chip up and tell your playing partners that golf is only a bloody game.
18.  Give yourself a 10-foot putt on the 18th if it is the only chance you will have to shoot your age.
19. If you spend longer in the 19th hole than on the round, you have cracked it.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: the get a life list....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »
A well rounded list, and the perfect number of 'holes' ! 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »
Rich,

Aren't items #'s 2 and 3 essentially the same thing?

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
I doubt it, Joe, as Tom has probably never been in a bunker....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »
Now THAT is a list!

I feel fortunate to have accomplished most of those also... but you also give me better goals.

I think #19 is the best of all.  I have done that too many times... but sadly all very long ago.  My goal is to someday do that AGAIN.

I wish I could do #15... but the places I go that have caddie requirements, it would be a great affront to the host - not to mention quite against the rules - to do that.  But I would LOVE to make that happen some day.

Believe it or not I have done #13... yeah, good ole happy go lucky me... not often mind you, not in my nature, but there have been a couple instances....

No comment on 2 or 16.  In fact it's TMI to have those on here for any of us!  Worthy inclusions though!

I hope I get a chance to prove out #5.  Interestingly... my own Dad will soon have that choice to make.  We shall see... crafty fellow he... but glory-hound and deluded also... it shall be very very interesting.

GREAT call re 6.. I have not done such in New Jersey, but close enough at Sand Hills... heck you could just change that to "spend any amount of time with Pat Mucci" and it's still a great inclusion.

I achieved #12 to win a match at #18 Ballyneal... no lie... heck the distance (173) is damn near exact also.  This is scary.

So OK, I am trying desparately to find additions here, but your list is perfect and any addition would be a subtraction.  I am gonna print this and save it for posterity.

TH

ps - love the use of the word "factotums"... but wouldn't it be factoti?
pss - OK one for me and I hope it's not too maudlin...  but a very worthy inclusion would be to play a match against Rich Goodale at Aberdour or Dornoch... and make the last few holes meaningful at either.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:38:29 AM »
Mr. Huckaby,

Please note #4.   ;)

Mr. Goodale,

What do they say about those who dwell on sex?

I've only done #8- thank you Tom Doak, and #13, once, and RG is right.

Came very close on #1 when I had a tee time, arrived to the starter's shack 5 minutes before the time (small problem at the clubhouse), and was told that my time had been reassigned.  Only my son's presence prevented me from doing a #13.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
Lou - noted... pretty proudly complied with, fairly often.  But hopefully I get more chances to repeat.

TH
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:52:48 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
Mr. Goodale,

What do they say about those who dwell on sex?

They dwell in the house of the lord......

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
What a wonderful list and funny too. Richard, The Magnificent, you're the best. I see you could only squeeze out nineteen items, though. If the 20th comes to you in some thunderbolt feel free to call me about it first thing even if it is in the middle of the night. And just remember the real middle of the night is only when it's the middle of the night in Philadelphia and not in Scotland (at some point I will explain to you how that married uncle of mine, William Waldorf Astor, treated that time zone thing around the world---ie to him the only time that ever mattered and had to be adhered to regardless of where in the world he happened to be was Greenwich Mean Time!  ;) ).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:55:58 AM by TEPaul »

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »

I've only done #8- thank you Tom Doak...

I read that and hoped to God #8 wasn't sex in a bunker/sex in a water hazard! ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »
Yes Thomas, I know you have, numerous times.  Not a criticism at all; just having a bit of fun.  And in the spirit of the times, I am just feeling particularly needy this morning.  Not that we need reminding, but I came across the following in a fairly popular book, "to whom much was given, of him much will be required".  Rather topical, wouldn't you say?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »
Does it count for #2 and/or #16 when one is alone?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »

Dress like Phil

Swing like Garland

Post like Huck

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
Yes Thomas, I know you have, numerous times.  Not a criticism at all; just having a bit of fun.  And in the spirit of the times, I am just feeling particularly needy this morning.  Not that we need reminding, but I came across the following in a fairly popular book, "to whom much was given, of him much will be required".  Rather topical, wouldn't you say?

Indeed yes, and a fine reminder.
 ;D

Anthony - be very very careful what you wish for.   ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »
"6.  Experience Pat Mucci's extraordinary hospitality."

Isn't that the truth! Which only goes to prove the man has two completely distinct personalities----eg his regular one and the one he uses on here!

But that does not surprise me at all because when I was a kid I had two completely distinct personalities too. I even had names for them which my family and friends were all aware of and understood well. There was "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom" who were completely different people. And I should inform you that my actual self was not either of them. I did occasionally take credit for some of the things "Good Tom" did but the things "Bad Tom" did never had a thing to do with me!

One reason I mention the above is because it occurs to me that Rich's thread is entitled "Re: the get a life list." While if you were or are anything like me who knew intimately these other two characters (viz. "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom") well, then, you too could have two or even three separate "get a life lists" and therefore your over-all times and travels could be and would be a whole lot richer and more varied!

Savy?!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:11:34 PM by TEPaul »

Jed Peters

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
1.  Walk to the first tee at St. Andrews.  When told you cannot play, tell the starter that you have better things in life to do than argue with mindless local government factotums.
2.  Have sex in a bunker.
3.  See Tom Paul's swing in person.
4.  Give up your place on the tee at a great course to someone who deserves it/needs it more.
5.  Refuse to lay up left on the 16th at Cypress Point, even though the last time you hit a 200 yard carry was in the Ford Administraation.
6.  Experience Pat Mucci's extraordinary hospitality.
7.  Kill a thread on GCA.com that deserves to be killed.
8.  Hit a drive on the screws only to see it land in a certerline bunker.
9.  Hit a driver off the deck onto a green with your squeeze watching you.
10. Stop at a vista that hits you right between the eyes and stay there for 15 minutes. Catch up with your friends later.
11. Intentionally slice an unimportant putt in a skins game to confuse the player on your same line who has a chance to win the hole.
12.  Skull a shot from 173 yards to within inches of the pin.
13. Tell an arsehole you are playing with that he/she is an areshole.  His regular playing partners will be your friends for life.
14. Carry no more than 8 clubs.
15. Never use a caddy, even if "required."  Pay him and send him back to the caddy shack.
16. Have sex in or near a water hazard.
17. Refuse to play in the Road Hole bunker if you land there.  Drop your ball out to the right, chip up and tell your playing partners that golf is only a bloody game.
18.  Give yourself a 10-foot putt on the 18th if it is the only chance you will have to shoot your age.
19. If you spend longer in the 19th hole than on the round, you have cracked it.

1. Not yet.
2. With yourself?
3. I hope to.
4. Done it.
5. Not an issue, well, maybe with a 5 iron. :)
6. I hope to.
7. Done it.
8. Done it.
9. Done it.
10. Old Mac #7 did it for me. Done it.
11. Duh. Done it.
12. Done it. And put it IN the hole. :)
13. Done it.
14. Done it.
15. Want to do it.
16. Teeth of the Dog. It's warmer down there.
17. Hope to do it.
18. For 9 holes?
19. Done it. Regularly.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »
Scott B,

And you still managed to finish 45 minutes ahead of us?  Impressive.

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »
Gesundheit!  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
Richard, The Observant:

I'm a bit perplexed by your inclusion that says; 'See Tom Paul's swing in person.'

I wouldn't mind knowing a bit of something about what that's supposed to mean. I am vaguely aware that I might be the only golfer in the universe who for some odd reason is completely incapable of getting his actual "hit the ball" swing out of slow motion or first gear, as it were, when I actually get over the ball and hit it. Many, many different and diverse people including some very good professionals and teachers have told me if I could somehow manage to hit the ball with my practice swings I would virtually automatically gain about 20-40 yards in additional distance off the tee. To say this has driven me completely nuts over the years is sort of an understatment. As hard as I try it seems to be virtually impossible to transpose the one into the other. Perhaps I took this "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom" thing too seriously way back when!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
Scott B,

And you still managed to finish 45 minutes ahead of us?  Impressive.

The one water hazard was ugly as sin, but there were a few attractive waste areas at the Dunes, so since I wasn't alone on the course, I had to wait until the round was over, and the 30 minutes (not 45) of extra time waiting for the next group to finish didn't go to waste.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »

19a.  decline a Masters invite and turn pro ;-)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »

Marry someone you meet on a golf trip.

Divorce her three years later.

Anthony

Gary Slatter

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
things a little quiet in southern Fife today?
Good list, hope the sex in the bunker and the water hazard was accompanied.
I saw that happen on #1 once, the first hole was empty and a single couldn't join two students.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
At least I got #14 covered (kind of an ironic numbering of that one - was that intentional, or merely a happy accident?).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
Does it count for #2 and/or #16 when one is alone?

Re #2 - there was that picture on GCA of someone in a very deep bunker (presumably Sandhills) in a peculiar position.  The winning caption was ' Ooohhhhh, aagghh, Sandhills' or words/sounds to that effect.

Good list Rich.  Something to aspire to.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back