News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's primary DG researchers
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
I'd like to put a thread on here thanking some of this website's primary and best researchers. For me personally what they find and put on here is pretty much the oil that makes this website and DG work and stay interesting. It's all history based and the time they've spent finding and producing all this info is impressive to say the least:

I'll probably add to the list but for now:

1. Joe Bausch and his remarkable old newspaper research. This is tons of hours of real "in the library" type grunt-work fellas.

2. Bradley Anderson and his on-going research on the beginnings of what might be termed "golf agronomy" or "early golf agronomic maintenance practices" and how they may tie in to the development of architecture itself.

3. Neil Crafter on his good and in-depth research on the career and life and times on the likes of Mackenzie.

4. Mike Cirba and his general interest and research on public golf architecture, particularly in the Philadelphia region and the seemingly remarkable (as a course and public project) Cobbs Creek.

5. Certainly Tom MacWood and the potpourri of old architectural information he put on here. Too bad he's gone now; I hope he comes back.

6. Wayne Morrison and all the heretofore unknown information on Flynn and Merion. I hope he comes back.

7. Philip Young and all things Tillinghast.

8. Melvyn Morrow and his input on the site and to some of us off the site on Old Tom Morris et al and early golf abroad. Melvyn tells me he's left too. Let's try to get him back.

9. Apparently Peter Pallota for finding treasure troves of info digitally and leading people to them or putting them on here himself.

10. Craig Disher for his reliable aerial research and aerial explanations.

11. George Bahto for his Macdonald contributions.

12. George Holland, a golf architecture history buff from New York and The Creek Club who's actually registered on here but who seems to rarely if ever post. Some of the stuff and/or potential sources of information he's found, that's just a diverse representation of old architectural material is impressive. I think GeorgeH is just one of those "needle-in-a-haystack" kind of guys and it wouldn't surprise me if we come up with one of the all time "needles" one of these days soon! ;)

Maybe, Goodale, Tully, Nacarrato, Crosby, Neil Regan etc too.

When I think of others I'll add them to the list or you all do it (I'm sure I've embarassed myself by already forgetting someone really important ;) ), but thanks to all of them for some wonderful and thoughtful information over the years. That's basically the reason I came on here and remain.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:05:34 PM by TEPaul »

Joe Hancock

Re: GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's primary DG researchers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
Tom,

I don't have anyone or anything to add, but let me say as one who is historical fact retention challenged, I appreciate the effort these guys put into the history part of the game.

Certainly an important element of all things golf course architecture.

Oh, and we all owe you a debt of gratitude as well for all your input and insight(and incite!)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »
The third time is the charm, Joe. It's "insite." ;)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »

Main Entry:
    in·cite Listen to the pronunciation of incite
Pronunciation:
    \in-ˈsīt\
Function:
    transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
    in·cit·ed; in·cit·ing
Etymology:
    Middle French inciter, from Latin incitare, from in- + citare to put in motion — more at cite
Date:
    15th century

: to move to action : stir up : spur on : urge on
— in·cit·ant Listen to the pronunciation of incitant \-ˈsī-tənt\ noun
— in·cite·ment Listen to the pronunciation of incitement \-ˈsīt-mənt\ noun
— in·cit·er noun
synonyms incite , instigate , abet , foment mean to spur to action. incite stresses a stirring up and urging on, and may or may not imply initiating <inciting a riot>. instigate definitely implies responsibility for initiating another's action and often connotes underhandedness or evil intention <instigated a conspiracy>. abet implies both assisting and encouraging <aiding and abetting the enemy>. foment implies persistence in goading <fomenting rebellion>.

Don't mess with me, boy!

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:13:12 PM »
And certainly to Ran Morrissett too. I don't know that he's all that much of the dedicated researcher himself but he sure has used well what he's aware of and filtered it into some of the best course reviews in the vein of old architecture that've ever been produced.

Frankly, it just astounds me that more of what Ran Morrissett has put on the "Course Review" section of this website had not been more comprehensively discussed on an ongoing basis on this DG.

Hancock:

Ditch the dirty and suggestive words like transitive and inflected if you please---this is a "family oriented" website! I'm not sure I even trust "etymology". It's sort of a four dollar word and there might be dirty linen in them early closets!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:19:19 PM by TEPaul »

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »
Tom feel free to add me to the list.

Just kidding.  ;) ;) ;D
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
If Melvyn Morrow has stopped participating in GCA.com, that is a real shame.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
TEPaul-

I ran into Sean Tully at the GIS in New Orleans- haven't had the good fortune of talking to him for quite some time.  Probably hard to find anyone more well versed in Bay Area DG research than Sean.

SS

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
 8) How can you seriously leave out Scott Borroughs for the extensive Aerial of the Day series!

tsk tsk
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18:50 PM »
A.W. shucks!  8) Thank you Tom...

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
Please recognize Dan Moore for his contributions to understanding of Langford & Moreau's contributions to GCA and for his research on Chicago's rich golf history!

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »

Well done TE.

and thanks to all the above and others also.

Cheers -- Lyne

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 11:30:36 PM »
A nod to Geoff Shackelford.

A nod to David Stamm.

Another vote for Tully.

A nod to Ralph Livingston.

A nod to Tom Doak.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:41:02 PM »
Also,

Having just spent the last two days with Jeff Mingay, I would definitely include him for his impressive knowledge of A.V. Macan.

SS

Jason McNamara

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »
Mark Rowlinson should also be on this list, for club histories, winter photo series, quizzes, lists...   hell, everything.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »
The best part of GCA.com is reading some of these "DG researchers" discussing (and sometimes arguing) golf courses. Thanks to the many on here with true knowledge of the game and it's history.
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »
One obvious exclusion to the list would be the author of this thread:  Tom Paul!

In my short time on this site, I would be hard pressed to think of someone who has contributed more than Tom from a historical/research standpoint, as well as great insight on many a topic.

Thanks Tom and thanks to the rest!

Keep it coming!

Cheers,

George Freeman
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »

Deleted.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »
I can only add a "Bravo!" to Tom's first post, and say thank you to all who have provided so much information, insight, and troublemaking.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
Yes, thanks TE - this is a lovely thread for the cold winter days. My thanks to all who've been mentioned already. You've saved me from the tyranny and prison of my own half-baked opinions more times than I can count. 

I'd like to add thanks to Sean Arble for his course profiles, without which I'd never have known how much I like the English heathland courses; and in that regard thanks as well to Tony Muldoon and Philip Gawith (I hope I spelled that right, Philip).  And thanks to the architects and superintendents, of course.

Peter

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »
Ian Andrew, for his research, knowledge and insight, particularly on Thompson, an underappreciated figure.

I'd like to see Paul Turner post a little more, I think he'd make the list. If anyone would care to dig through the archives, Paul used to publish heaping mounds of info on mostly unknown English courses.

There was a fine gentleman from NZ who used to post research, I think he was a member at Paraparaumu - I'm blanking on his name (Mark something ?Huxford? ), but I wish he'd return with more Kiwi goodies.

Same thing for Paul Daley and the wonderful land of Oz.

I don't participate much in the research threads, as I don't feel I have anything to offer, but I do read them when I can and thank those who do the heavy lifting. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:39:41 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »
Ian Andrew
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Wright

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 12:41:10 PM »
Everyone who's done an "In My Opinion" essay. Some of the authors are still participating on this site, others not  :-X ...

http://golfclubatlas.com/IN_MY_OPINION.html
Twitter: @Deneuchre

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Definitely Ian Andrews, Paul Turner and Paul Daley. Dumb shit I am for overlooking them the first time around.

I've got to admit, though, and at this point in this thread, that the one amongst them all right now who is totally fascinating me the most is Bradley Anderson, for the simple reason that his research is on the subject of the history and evolution of golf agronomy and its maintenance practices going way back into the latter third of the 19th century and on up. Most have probably never much considered or appreciated just how much this very thing MAY HAVE impacted, driven, altered, whatever, both golf course architecture itself as well as some of the vast differences in how the game was even perceived at various times!

However, it may be true to say that with his research on that particular subject, that it might not ever spark any kind of restoration or renaissance in what once was in that area as has happened to a fairly large degree recently with architecture itself. But I still think his research in that vein will be a real eye-opener for some of us.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:00:45 PM by TEPaul »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »
Sean Tully (Mac and early CA), Mark Bourgeois (Mac and Camouflage), Tony Muldoon (Seed merchants etc) are a couple that come to mind. David Stamm, Tom MacWood (NLE!) also.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back