News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Stanford $8 Billion Dollar Ponzi Scheme and Golf Ties
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

More offline if needed, but the basic concept moving forward is I would never be an equity member at a big number in any club for the near future.

Mr. Sweeney,could you expound on that a little?

Are you saying that you believe member-owned clubs will fair worse going forward?Peter Wagner made the same kind of comment a few weeks ago talking about possibly buying several struggling clubs.

The reason I ask is that I've always believed that member-owned equity clubs represented the "safest" kind of club simply because extraordinary expenses could be more easily shared.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »
The reason I ask is that I've always believed that member-owned equity clubs represented the "safest" kind of club simply because extraordinary expenses could be more easily shared.

Perhaps the fact that extraordinary expenses are shared might be construed as a reason to stay away from such arrangements in an era where everything seems to be "extraordinary" or at least "extraordinarily expensive"...

Personally, I don't have enough money to move in these kinds of circles but I would be leery of taking on any financial obligations not necessary to my daily life at this juncture.

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 02:51:34 PM »

Perhaps the fact that extraordinary expenses are shared might be construed as a reason to stay away from such arrangements in an era where everything seems to be "extraordinary" or at least "extraordinarily expensive"...

Personally, I don't have enough money to move in these kinds of circles but I would be leery of taking on any financial obligations not necessary to my daily life at this juncture.

I understand your point.I guess the distinction I would make is that a member-owned club, with some historical track record,would seem to be the safest bet these days.

I certainly agree that joining any type of club today requires a lot of due diligence.Just seems that,all other things being equal,I'd feel more comfortable sharing pain(and expenses) with several hundred of my closest friends.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
I think I've type this before, but golf is an inexpensive medium for individuals to enter the world of sports ownership......partnership ineterests in owning a golf facility are much less expensive thsn owning even a minor league sports franchise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back