News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Harry Colt's Application to be R&A Secretary in 1899
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:11:35 AM »
Found this item on eBay today, it has nearly 3 days to run, and I thought it might be of interest to the Coltaholics out there. I did not know that Colt had applied for this job and there is no mention of it in Colt's biography by Fred Hawtree. These look like Colt had the original letters printed so he could submit more than one set.

"Original Testimonial letters for H.S. Colt's Application to become secretary of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in 1899

15 pages, stapled, last page loose

In 1899, H.S. Colt applied to become Secretary of the R & A. For sale is the original testimonials letters in support of his application. At this time Colt was the secretary of the Rye Golf Club. Each of the testimonials are dated December 1899.

They are from:
Horace Hutchinson, S. Mure Fergusson, J. Orlivy Fairlie, Arthur James Balfour, the Prime Minister (his testimonials is on letterhead from 10 Downing St.), F A Inderwick (President of Rye Golf Club), Lenox Tindall ( a founder of Rye Golf Club), William Carless, Ernley Blackwell, William Carless, Chas. E. Beeching, A. Murray, Ben. F. Meadows, Fred G. Langham, E.A. Young and Arthur R. Inskipp

The letters are not signed. There is some foxing to the pages due to the age.

The R & A ended up turning down Colt's application and he went on to become the first secretary of Sunningdale golf club before going on to become one of the greatest course architects in history."

Philip Gawith

Re: Harry Colt's Application to be R&A Secretary in 1899
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:10:30 AM »
Great piece of digging Neil. I would also like to be commended by a prime minister, if not this one, as an excellent man of business and an admirable golfer. We live in hope!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
Philip
Just stumbled across it really, more tripped over than dug for.
A PM's reference should have done the trick you might have thought, wonder who got the job and who his referees were?

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
Neil,

I still am not clear on wheather or not Colt was of the gentleman class. What exactly was his class?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »
This merited one line in the new Colt book, with no explanation.  I’d heard rumours that copies of this existed but it's fantastic to see the photo's, once again many thanks Neil.

My history of the R&A doesn't reveal who was successful.  Colt was a well know figure there, in September 1896 he was on the original committee appointed to look at producing a single set of Rules for Golf.  It would be most interesting to know who was appointed.

Bradley. Colt's father was a Barrister and he was educated at a good school and Cambridge and everything about the way he conducted himself in his life, said Gentleman. 

To me this is one of the great mysteries about Colt that we shall never know the answer to.  Was his move into golf because it was the only thing he really enjoyed doing, or was he a visionary seeing the opportunities that the rapid expansion in popularity of the sport would bring?  He was a partner in a solicitor’s office and it was a most unusual career move to take up the position at Sunningdale.

As my IMO piece relates, one interesting private matter was that he married a well to do Catholic.  I wonder how his wife would have enjoyed life at St Andrews. Presumably a great seat of learning was less sectarian than some other parts of Scotland? 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:34:02 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
Neil:

That is not new information, right? I can't imagine how it could be because I remember reading that in the past. What you're saying is just that the actual documents have resurfaced and are at auction, correct?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »
Neil:

That is not new information, right? I can't imagine how it could be because I remember reading that in the past. What you're saying is just that the actual documents have resurfaced and are at auction, correct?

Apparently not

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,16223.0.html

Well remembered.  But if it was news to Paul T. then I don't think it was common knowledge.

I don't recall seeing that thread, can anyone remember what price they were asking? At the moment waiting in the wings there's me and Mr Ortiz- Patiños figuring out how much we can afford to bid.  Unfortunately he has an agent to stay up to 3am local time and I have a job to go to early Tuesday morning.

http://beta.sport.scotsman.com/top-stories/Valderrama-owner-pays-24000-for.2545439.jp

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
TE
I was not really claiming it was 'new' information, except that I personally didn't know about it and it was not included in Colt's biography by Hawtree. I didn't use the search facility to check whether there had been mention of it before on GCA, otherwise I would have seen that another set (or possibly the same one) was auctioned 4 years ago. But the main purpose was to let people know that a set of these testimonials is on eBay and up for sale.

Bradley
I agree with Tony, Colt, as a solicitor and Cambridge man would I think have qualified for the appelation of 'gentleman', just like Bernard Darwin.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

As my IMO piece relates, one interesting private matter was that he married a well to do Catholic.  I wonder how his wife would have enjoyed life at St Andrews. Presumably a great seat of learning was less sectarian than some other parts of Scotland? 

Tony

St. Andrews had a cathedral which was destroyed and pillaged during the Reformation.  Several leading Catholics (Hamilton, Wishart, etc.) were burned or hanged in the Burgh.  It wasn't until 1909 that a new Catholic church was built in St. Andrews.  There may have been more sectarian parts of Scotland in those days, but I doubt if St. Andrews was squeaky clean in that regard in 1899.

Rich

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »
Neil - thanks much.
Tony M - good post and questions.
Interesting to note Hutchinson's "for what my opinion may be worth" bit of deference to the R&A.

Peter

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »
"TE
I was not really claiming it was 'new' information, except that I personally didn't know about it and it was not included in Colt's biography by Hawtree. I didn't use the search facility to check whether there had been mention of it before on GCA, otherwise I would have seen that another set (or possibly the same one) was auctioned 4 years ago. But the main purpose was to let people know that a set of these testimonials is on eBay and up for sale."

Neil:

Damn; now this is going to start bothering me about where it was I've read that before. I know it wasn't on this website.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:58:42 AM »
TE
Hope you can remember where you first heard it - you'll probably do it when you are trying to remember something else! The joys of getting older...........

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »
Melvyn sent me these two clippings from The Scotsman 24 10 1899 that put this in context.

He also informs us that CS Grace was the last non paid secretary and that the successful applicant was Colonel R Elliot who was replaced in 1903 by Thomas Law; who in turn was replaced by Henry Gullen in 1912, who was in place until 1940.
Does anyone know anything about these characters?

£350 was a considerable sum.  When Colt accepted the position at Sunningdale he was paid £130pa - July 1901. Colt however may have had the last laugh.  He was certainly involved with the R&A in 1912 when it was recognised that the course had deteriorated and something must be done.  He was searching for a new green keeper and the change of Secretary at about the same time may not have been a coincidence.

(Speculating: if Colt had been appointed in 1900 what changes might he have tried to instigate on TOC to cope with the new Haskell ball in 1902?  Perhaps it’s best we don’t go there.)

Finally I would like to quote the following about Freddie Tait from Daniel Wexler’s Book of Golfers.  (Extracted from a long obituary - by the standards of the book).

“Frederick Guthrie Tait remains, more than a century after his death, one of the most celebrated figures in the history of amateur golf.   ...he became, to use a modern analogy, the Greg Norman of his day – the very longest and straightest of hitters.

Tait’s list of golfing accomplishments, though limited to the last decade of the nineteenth century, is somewhat overwhelming.” Twice he won the Amateur Championship, 1896 and 1898. “Open Championship...thrice leading amateur and, from 1896 to 1899, finished 3rd, 3rd, 5th and 7th. He reportedly played the Old course in 72 in 1894 and, we are told, an unimaginable 69 in 1897.

Unfortunately it would be this military career that would be Tait’s undoing, for as a member of the Black Watch...he shipped off to South Africa to fight the Boers in October of 1899. ..Tait was killed in early February while leading a charge at Koodoosberg Drift, a death as lamented as any in the history of golf.  Later in 1900 he would be accorded a unique posthumous hour when his great friend John L Low penned FG Tait A Record, an altogether splendid account and, not incidentally, the first biography of a golfer ever written.”

It would appear therefore Tait’s last golfing action was to propose this position. Perhaps golf lost not only one of its finest players but an influential visionary who saw what was needed to administer the future of golf at St Andrews.   It may  be significant that Low (like Tait a member of Woking) was also a good friend of Colts and a power broker at the R&A.

Thanks Melvyn
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:48:45 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
Tony -

I don't have the referenceces handy, but Colt served on serveral R&A committees, including one on the rules with John Low and Stuart Paton for several years. Colt was apparently a quite active member of the R&A.

One thing I've neve been clear about. Is the Captain of the R&A a largely ceremonial title or does it come with actual responsibilies? I take it that the Secretary manages the R&A on day to day basis. No?

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:10:57 AM »
Bob C

Bob H can speak authoritatively about the R&A, but in general in Clubs over here the Captain is the Chairman/CEO whilst the Secretary is the COO/General Factotum.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back