News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Some more pics of Royal Cinque Ports (Deal)
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
I was blessed with a sunny, quite calm day on Saturday to discover Deal with Mark Chaplin as my intrepid guide.

It was amazing in every respect, and I was only too keen to grab a application after the round and become a member.

Much has been said on here about the course and I feel unable to improve on most of it, so I'll keep it brief.

I though the routing was genius, especially 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, 15 and 16. So much movement in a site with such flat dunes. And the thing that undepins it is how natural it all looks. The closest comparison I can come up with is for any yachties on here to think of a really lumpy sea, frozen still.

It's wonderful to have such large slopes feeding balls into the bunkers, effectively making the catchment area as much as three times the size of the bunkers themselves, avoiding the need for a huge bunker that looks ugly and costs a bomb to maintain.

It's awesome that the wide driving zones allow you to use driver and if placed well, you get rewarded for that, but if you err, you will get eaten up. Classic risk reward, which you don't see enough (or maybe I don't play enough of the right courses!).

Reachable par fives and short par fours are the holes that turn me on more than any other, and 3, 6 and 16 are great examples of that. I could play them for years and not get bored.

My camera isn't great and the light was a bit sharp, so I decided to just concentrate on getting angles I have not seen on GCA.

1st green

3rd fairway - approach from 200m out

Closer to the 3rd green, the flag appears, check out those dunes! The yellow flag is visible to the right.

3rd green from the right.

Par 3 4th from the tee.

The view back to the tee shows how the back feeds away anything long

The 10th from behind. Shows just how average the inside of the dogleg is, despite looking tempting from the tee.

The clubhouse

Andrew Summerell

Re: Some more pics of Royal Cinque Ports (Deal)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
Great stuff, Scott. Didn't I say you will love it.

Glad you had a great weekend.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
Great pics Scott please post more. I don't recall many Deal threads on here so for the BUDA guys these might be a first.  Most reviews talk about the finishing stretch but I prefer to dwell on the movement in the fairways nearest the clubhouse.  Extraordinarily good golfing country.

You are just the latest on here to have been “Chappered”. :D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
Sadly that's really all the pics I have! I started off taking heaps, but when I got to +5 well into the stretch, I lost interest in pics and started trying to shoot 75, then finished bogey, triple, double ;D

I made a file on my computer of pics from the RCP course review on here, the interview with David Dobby and Noel Freeman's Deal Me In piece from the In My Opinion section, combined they show off most holes from lots of angles.

Here is 11 from the new back tee on the sea wall. Not a great pic though:

And an example of how deep the fairway traps are:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:07:35 PM by Scott Warren »

James Bennett

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
Scott

next time you play, take a pic or two of #6 - you know you want to.  It would be an excellent thread.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
For those attending BUDA this year here are two pictures of Our shy and retiring (not) host Mark Chaplin.  I played with him 10 days ago and at the moment he does seem to be having a problem avoiding the left hand side of the course. ;D

Let's make GCA grate again!

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »
3rd green from the right.

Truly Scrumptious.  Is September gonna be fun or what?!

Thanks for the pics Scott.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:10:25 PM »
Thanks for the pics Scott.

C'mon September! Can't wait to see that third hole.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »
Eric, I think the word you're looking for is Scrumtrulescent.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:06 AM »
Thanks guys, just looking at that pic of the third green again, the pic really flattens that slope at the front. I nearly gasped when I looked at it and saw how steep it is. Mark had a putt from just short, ran it over the crest ever so slowly and had 30 feet coming back. If it were a ski run it'd be a black diamond for sure!

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 06:22:20 AM »

Here is 11 from the new back tee on the sea wall. Not a great pic though:

This tee is as far back as it can go.  Any further back and it would be in Holland!

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
Scott

Thanks for posting these.  Strangely, for a course which has so many GCA members, it receives little publicity on here.

Your photos have certainly whetted the appetite for Buda in September.  Hopefully in two rounds of foursomes I'll get at least one chance of an approach shot to the 3rd green;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:53 AM »

Can't wait to skull one onto that 3rd green.

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »
Nice piece on the course -- Deal Me In! -- under the My Opinion area expertly written by Deal Member and Noel Freeman. And let me say this about Noel (and I mean this), of all the people I've golfed with, he's one of them.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:20:49 AM »

That too will do Charlie -

But no, my choice of Truly Scrumptious is a fitting description, paying homage to one of my kids' fave movies - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the lovely Sally Ann Howes, as well as the fact that some of the scenes of the movie were filmed just off shore at Deal at Goodwin Sands.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
Ah, well I was paying tribute to one of my favorite SNL sketches:

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »
great stuff charlie, lmao

"When one thinks of CNR, one's mind goes right to Match Game.
That show was delightful.
No. No. It was brilliant.
No, no, no, no. There is no word to describe its perfection, so I am forced to make one up.
And I'm going to do so right now.
Scrumtrulescent."  ;D ;D

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3524/saturday-night-live-inside-the-actors-studio

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:12:11 PM by Eric Smith »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
Sadly I cannot confess to posing in the left fairway bunker on #5, Scott's 2nd stopped on the down slope just short of the trap, my 7 iron from the left rough looked to be missing the bunker by 10yds. The face is about 6 feet tall with another 3 or 4 feet on the bank at the top.

Being a Director of a golf club you hear the moans and complaints of the odd member and often forget just how special your course is. Witnessing Mr Warren play some very tidy golf during his first visit to the links, whilst marvelling at the surroundings was an enjoyable experience, plus as Tony points out he was "Chappered", my good friend Dan Moore is my only GCA guest in the last 2 years who hasn't joined the club!!

Finally those Brits who can offer Scott a day at their club will find themselves playing with a genuinely nice guy who enjoys his golf and is fine company. With Scott and the lovely Kerry we have a two young people as our guests for a couple of years who will appreciate your hospitality for a game or a beer......shame his great grandfather must have been a rogue!
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »

Or perhaps "Scrumtumescent."   ;)

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the pictures of Deal. They bring back some good memories for me as I caddied for my brother here in Final Qualifying for the Open back in 2003. He didn't do great but we both really enjoyed it, and that Qualifying event was won by Mark Smith who I went to School with, so some it was a really enjoyable few days. I must go back and play it some day!

I liked the picture of the third green. I'd forgotten that the slope was so severe there as at Final Qualifying the hole was much further back. I really like that hole, some great contours on the approach to the green!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 01:07:45 PM »
Andrew Mitchell - You've two rounds of foursomes, a round of four ball plus an optional second round of singles so you will have plenty of time to try the approach to #3

James - I remember watching the playoff in 2003 if I recall correctly -4 played off. The pin postion in Scott's picture is very much a winter position. The pin usually sits either in the 5 or 6 paces before the tier or on the top tier of the green in the summer.

The hole will be lengthened to 570 back and 510 members over the next couple of years with the tees taken to the left of the 2nd green. The two advantages of this are safety taking play away from the sea wall and the walkers as well as speed of play. Currently the hole can cause a log jam with players waiting for the green to clear. At 510 it will be out of range for 90% of the membership and at 570yds the pitch into the green from under 100yds will be very tough to judge
Cave Nil Vino

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »
Deal me in........sorry ::)

That the best shot of the third I've seen. Thanks for sharing the thoughts and pics.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back