News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: O/T-Tommy Armour III and the 8th
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
Romero agrees with Kyle's approach...

Ken Moum

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »
Romero agrees with Kyle's approach...

That one sure did seem to bump and run up that bank didn't it?

Maybe it's not Kikuyu.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »
An interesting moment in the tournament.
Didn't he shoot 40 on the par 35 front with that snowman?  And come back and have a decent round?  What would John Daly have done?
I don't know Tommy Armour, and so I am not defending him, but CBS made a decision to show the disgust with the club.  I wonder why?
Frankly, I have done the same on that course (kikuyu can do that to you) and I am pretty mild mannered on the course.
I would judge him more on how he played the rest of the day, than by the damage he did to that bank.  I bet he felt a little better,,,,,must have as he made the putt.
As for a bump and run, fellas, you haven't been there, it is straight up hill, and how close can you trim the kikuyu with a mower on a 90 degree slope?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
An interesting moment in the tournament.
Didn't he shoot 40 on the par 35 front with that snowman?  And come back and have a decent round?  What would John Daly have done?
I don't know Tommy Armour, and so I am not defending him, but CBS made a decision to show the disgust with the club.  I wonder why?
Frankly, I have done the same on that course (kikuyu can do that to you) and I am pretty mild mannered on the course.
I would judge him more on how he played the rest of the day, than by the damage he did to that bank.  I bet he felt a little better,,,,,must have as he made the putt.
As for a bump and run, fellas, you haven't been there, it is straight up hill, and how close can you trim the kikuyu with a mower on a 90 degree slope?

Lynn, agree 100% that Armour had no other play, just got first too cute and then too frustrated.

That was my first look at Riviera, what a golf course!  I loved the intimacy of the valley and the criss crossing routing.  I will marshall a few thoughts in the next couple of days, as I just got off a plane home from Santa Barbara.

If Riviera (and La Cumbre) had done the job the Valley Club of Montecito has done with the kikuyu eradication program, we wouldn't have had that discussion about #8~!

Damon Groves

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
Lynn - Not judging him on the one instance I can accept but unfortunately Tommy Armour III, as noted earlier regaring Pebble Beach ATT and other instances I have seen, has a habit of what you could put in summary poor sportsmanship. Was he entitled to a little frustration, absolutely, but to react in that way was not acceptable and he should have apologized. Maybe he did and I missed it but when someone has a habit of this type of poor sportsmanship type things it makes it very simple for me. I have no desire to watch him nor support any products he uses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back