News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

Re: Blind holes and blind shots -- love 'em, hate 'em and why?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
It seems to me that the wonderful Royal County Down had as many blind shots or holes as I've seen. I spent three days there in 2001 playing the course. I'm just sorry I couldn't have stayed longer to get to know the intracacies of some of those blind shots and holes better.

The 9th sticks in my memory, playing blind with Slieve Donard as the backdrop, and to climb over the dune to see the fairway far below ... good for the soul methinks.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
It seems to me that the wonderful Royal County Down had as many blind shots or holes as I've seen. I spent three days there in 2001 playing the course. I'm just sorry I couldn't have stayed longer to get to know the intracacies of some of those blind shots and holes better.

The 9th sticks in my memory, playing blind with Slieve Donard as the backdrop, and to climb over the dune to see the fairway far below ... good for the soul methinks.

The 9th at RCD is a great tee shot. AS for blind shots you have to play them a couple of times before you feel confortable. The first time around can be unconfortable not knowing what is behind.

Anthony

James Boon

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »

Jamie,

I think the 9th at RCD is very good for the soul indeed. I'm sure even people who have duffed there tee shot and scrambled about in the rough a few times, must still find the view from the top of that dune, just wonderful!

I'm not sure I'd want a course full of blind shots, but I honestly love them occasionally in a round, and think that any architect that avoids them is seriously missing out on the occasional pleasures that they can bring (see above)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »
Put me in the pro camp. I'd agree with those who've said that a steady diet would get somewhat tiresome, but for the most part I enjoy them. I really like the whole process --the walking up to look for a good line and then heading back down to your ball, the uncertainty of picking out some kind of target, and then just trying to keep your head in the shot when you swing. There's something particularly gratifying about being able to put a good swing on a ball when you're not completely sure if you've got everything lined up, but you just have to trust yourself. I really like that. Plus watching a well-struck ball disappear over some feature of the landscape, then walking up to see where it went -- that's a blast for me.

I'm really fond of the tee shot on 9 at Pacific Dunes, particularly to the lower green. It can be pretty intimidating to try to go as far left as you really want to, so you have to have some nerve. Pressure really doesn't generally agree with my swing, but the funny thing is that I always seem to hit a good shot there. I just love to hit it, so I generally hit it well. And I really love walking up to that tee with people who haven't played the course for the "where the hell's the hole" moment -- followed by the "you're kidding, we're going that way?!" moment. Very entertaining. Thanks to Tom Doak for that shot. I even like the tee shot on 18 at the Trails, which I know from reading this board tends not to be universally loved, to say the least.

But I'd put the second shot on number 3 at NGLA as the one I'd probably like to hit most off all, if given the opportunity. Here's hoping that 17 at Old Macdonald (that's to be the Alps in Bandon, yes?) will give those of us who have never played The National a little taste.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back