News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Are we not men?
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »
Older generations make much of how rugged they were and how they scoffed at things we'd consider hardships or inconveniences.

Perhaps there's something to it...as we sit around our collective warm houses bemoaning the length of winter and the chill in the air and our increasingly dormant golf games..

In the immortal words of Devo, "Are We Not Men?

Apparently, the answer is no, and we have met the wimps and they are us!   :-\

Rob_Waldron

Re: Are we not men?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:13:58 PM »
Idiots! It is obvious that Southwest Airlines was not in business at this time.

Flying South is the preferred alternative for playing golf during the winter!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »
the chap top right has a beautifully theatrical swing!

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
"the chap top right has a beautifully theatrical swing!"

J-EYE-mee:

It certainly seems so doesn't it. However, I have done some really in-depth follow-up research on that article and the people in it and sadly within a millisecond of that photo being taken that unfortunate chap's entire body snapped and he was actually forced to live the rest of his life in that beautifully theatrical position. Can you imagine how stange that must have been for him and his family and anyone else who ever saw him? They did get the club out of his hand, but still....

Well, one should look for the silver-lining in every situation no matter how unfortunate and I guess I should say it's probably fortunate that the poor chap's body snapped and froze for the rest of his life into the position of that beautifully theatrical swing rather than the position he is in while putting in the first photograph.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:33:17 PM by TEPaul »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Talk about a flying right elbow...this fellow's elbow has more hangtime than flight 1549.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
Mr. Cirba:

Good observation on that chap's incredible flying elbow. Since he froze in that position and remained in it the remainder of his life which lasted into his 87th year, that incredible flying elbow is probably why his friends came to call him "Old Hat-rack Smedley."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
Tom,

It's actually quite fortuitious that Smedley froze in the position of his ungainly swing rather than freezing in the position of his previous photo.

The imagination reels at what his nickname might have been then, but I do bet some would have just referred to him as "Honey". 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:45:23 PM »
The look on the caddy's face seems to be 'this guy better be a good tipper!'.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »
The look on the caddy's face seems to be 'this guy better be a good tipper!'.

Similiarly, I'm betting strong odds that the guy holding the sleigh reins held her face in the snow accidentally for a few uncomfortable seconds after that inadvertent spill while driving Miss Daisy to the golf course in the middle of January temps.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:51:27 PM by MikeCirba »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
THIS is why the Stewart Infra-Red Sandwich was invented!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
MikeC:

Don't laugh; there was a guy down in Florida in the old days who was basically permanently in the position of that putter above who was a buddy of my dad's and all those crazy guys and golfers down there then. It didn't help that that group had a funny name for practically everybody. I'll tell you about that later.

But for now I'll tell you about their buddy Deadeye Henry. He was a fine golfer and one helluva former athlete. Star footballer player for Army and I believe even a multi-time All American. He was a quarterback and semi miraculous passer. Well, as things sometimes go in life with all his stardom and success there did come that time in his senior year and against Navy, the final game and perhaps even play for him in his illustrious career where it all came down to that one ultra critical last chance, that career denoument type of play.

Tens of thousands of people in Soldiers Field (or whatever it was called then) in Philadelphia, expected Henry (I never actually knew what his first name was) expected that he would pull off the touchdown pass and Army would pull out the miraculous victory at the last moment.

Deadeye Henry sent his star end streaking down the right sideline and the Navy defender got sort of foot-tied and the receiver rushed by him and was out there all alone with no one within about 15-20 yards of him and Deadeye let the bomb go with the same powerful and beautiful passing motion college football had so much come to expect from him. As the ball came away from his golden throwing arm it looked like aerial glory at its most sublime but somehow the ball came down about 21 rows up in the stands.

Therefore, when my Dad and his wicked witted friends and golfers down there found out about that he ever-after was known as Deadeye Henry!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:31:46 PM by TEPaul »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:36:52 PM »
What is this winter dormant golf game I keep hearing about?   ;D

Trying to do a little detective work in finding out when this edition of the newspaper was printed:

First, the New York Tribune existed from the mid-1800's through 1924, when it merged with another paper and
changed names (a little).

2nd, all 3 courses mentioned in the article were built in the 1890's.

3rd, Senator Sullivan of NY, mentioned at lower right, was likely State Senator Timothy Sullivan, who served
from 1894-1903 and 1909-1912.

I supposed I could research the Russian/Japanese conflict at left or the clothing/clubs, etc., in the pics, but the
Sullivan info narrowed it down enough to get a ballpark figure.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:44:30 PM »
Trying to do a little detective work in finding out when this edition of the newspaper was printed:

First, the New York Tribune existed from the mid-1800's through 1924, when it merged with another paper and
changed names (a little).

January 17, 1904. 
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 04:58:12 PM »
MikeC:

Don't laugh; there was a guy down in Florida in the old days who was basically permanently in the position of that putter above who was a buddy of my dad's and all those crazy guys and golfers down there then. It didn't help that that group had a funny name for practically everybody. I'll tell you about that later.

But for now I'll tell you about their buddy Deadeye Henry. He was a fine golfer and one helluva former athlete. Star footballer player for Army and I believe even a multi-time All American. He was a quarterback and semi miraculous passer. Well, as things sometimes go in life with all his stardom and success there did come that time in his senior year and against Navy, the final game and perhaps even play for him in his illustrious career where it all came down to that one ultra critical last chance, that career denoument type of play.

Tens of thousands of people in Soldiers Field (or whatever it was called then) in Philadelphia, expected Henry (I never actually knew what his first name was) expected that he would pull off the touchdown pass and Army would pull out the miraculous victory at the last moment.

Deadeye Henry sent his star end streaking down the right sideline and the Navy defender got sort of foot-tied and the receiver rushed by him and was out there all alone with no one within about 15-20 yards of him and Deadeye let the bomb go with the same powerful and beautiful passing motion college football had so much come to expect from him. As the ball came away from his golden throwing arm it looked like aerial glory at its most sublime but somehow the ball came down about 21 rows up in the stands.

Therefore, when my Dad and his wicked witted friends and golfers down there found out about that he ever-after was known as Deadeye Henry!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ................. WRITE THE DAMN BOOK!!!

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
I love Senator Sullivan’s quick wit when asked to make a toast at the Homeopathic Physicians Banquet - maybe he was serious. :)

“I propose the  health of the sick”

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »
Eerily similar:

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »
Phil,

Yes, point well taken.

For the rest of us sitting in the warmth of our dens, afraid to brave the winter chill and yet still call ourselves golfers, I think this album cover makes pretty darn clear that DEVO was prophetically discussing the sad devolutionary wimpification of the modern golfer.    ;)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »
I didn't know that Devo were big Chi Chi Rodriguez fans (and that's pronounced 'Chye Chye Rodwigweez', for the WKRP fans out there  ;)).

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »
Phil,

Yes, point well taken.

For the rest of us sitting in the warmth of our dens, afraid to brave the winter chill and yet still call ourselves golfers, I think this album cover makes pretty darn clear that DEVO was prophetically discussing the sad devolutionary wimpification of the modern golfer.    ;)

Interesting, and I'm not sure if it was a Freudian thing or what, but to have Chi Chi on that cover asking "Are We Not Men"..... this apparently from the guy who used to exhibit his lance every week during the tournaments......now that's a MAN!

;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back