News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Mike_Cirba

Re: Salt Lake City Country Club Original Location
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
David,

Thanks for that info.   

From everything I've been able to determine so far, it seems likely it was another one of those amateur sportsmen committees who designed the course, with one R.B. Harkness as chairman, with four others.   

I'll keep digging.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 09:03:14 PM »
Ok...it seems these guys had a lock on the Utah State Championship.

As mentioned, R.B. Harkness was the chairman of the committee.   Turns out he won the very first Utah State Amateur championship in 1899.

With him on the committee was one J. Wolcott Thompson, who won the Utah State Championship in 1900 and 1902.

With them on the committee was one Frank McGurrin, who won the Utah State Championship in 1905, 1906, 1907, and 1913.

Neat stuff...looks to be another group of "experts" who were valued for the playing skills which I'm sure many figured meant they knew what a golf course should look like.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:07:03 PM by MikeCirba »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
Mike,

I drove by ForestDale on the way home and can confirm that is indeed the Club House at ForestDale.

The routing appears to have changed a bit though, even though most of the holes are pretty much the same now as they were back then...at least distance wise.

Kalen

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
It seems the Grounds Committee were responsible for the golf course.   This article lists the formation of the various committees, and as mentioned, the grounds committee had 3 former Utah State champions as part of it.   

One other committeeman, a Mr. Officer, we'll get to in a moment.

The committee was formed in October 1905.

The Committee was soon to be only four, as Mr. Officer never made it to 1906.   In December of 1905, the following was reported;

Kalen....I hope you're enjoying! 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 09:39:26 PM »
Mike,

I am indeed, keep it coming.

If you go out to Historical Aerials and take a look http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=4295

You can see even back in the 70s the course hadn't yet been modified to its current state.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »
Kalen,

If you know anyone who might be interested at either The Country Club or Forest Dale, please direct them to this thread.   

I don't know how much of this stuff was known prior, but they may find it useful in documenting their heritage.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:06 PM »
Kalen,

If you know anyone who might be interested at either The Country Club or Forest Dale, please direct them to this thread.   

I don't know how much of this stuff was known prior, but they may find it useful in documenting their heritage.

You know thats a good point.  I've spoken to a few people who have claimed to do some digging and come up with zeros and so far this thread has put some good stuff out there.  I have an email into my guy who works there, as of last fall, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Kalen

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »
Mike,

Sometimes it helps to just simply go to thier website.  ;D

http://www.saltlakecountryclub.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=276326&ssid=149213&vnf=1

The Country Club was incorporated on October 2, 1899 in Salt Lake City, Utah.  The first location was leased on Gilmer Drive (1300 East 900 South) near the current site of East High School.  The original initiation fees were $25.00 for men and $10 for women; the annual dues were $15.00.  In 1899 the first Utah Amateur Tournament was staged there.  R.B. Harkness was the initial winner of the event that was to become the oldest continuous amateur golf tournament in the United States.  However, all was not well at The Country Club.  The Salt Lake Herald reported the turf at Gilmer was impossible and for the most part the course was very rocky and dusty in dry weather and ankle deep in mud in wet weather.  The membership that was rapidly outgrowing the weed-ridden course and modest clubhouse desired a more elegant gathering place to play golf and house social functions. 

In 1905 the Club then moved to the "Forest Dale" location at 900 East 2500 South.  It was one of the few old Spanish Mission-style buildings in Utah and the first structure in the state built specifically as a golf clubhouse.  Although The Country Club featured golf, there were also three tennis courts to accommodate players of that game.  On Independence Day, 1906, a gala grand opening party christened the opening of the full 9-hole golf course.  Spectators watched the golfers from the veranda or sat in lawn chairs to witness tennis matches.  A buffet dinner and dancing completed festivities.  Many other golf and social events took place at The Country Club including a visit from President William H. Taft.  By 1910, the club location that had once appeared so ideal to the membership was beginning to lose its appeal.  The heavy, sour loam grew a thick-bladed grass that left a stiff stubble when cut.  Members now wanted eighteen holes and there was talk of adding a polo field, but the limited acreage at Fairmont Park precluded such expansion. 

In 1920 the new site of The Country Club was chosen and development of the golf course began.  The course formally opened at 2 p.m. on May 12, 1921.  Despite the immaturity of the course the Utah State Championship was played in October.  Construction on a new clubhouse began in September 1922 with a completion date set for the following February.  The elegant new clubhouse had its grand opening on July 7, 1923.  The Country Club over the years was the site of many  PGA events over the years as well as the Utah State Golf Championships, the Utah State Amateur, Bob Hope and Bing Crospy's USO Charity golf tournament as well the 44th Western Open Championship.

In 2002 The Country Club underwent a 9.2 million dollar renovation bringing back the look of the original 1924 clubhouse.  The 80,000 square foot clubhouse offers members and their guests a variety of areas to hold private functions, a breathtaking formal dining room for weddings and special Club events, two restaurants,  and a fully equipped fitness facility complete with indoor golfing cages, a massage therapist, and virtual golf simulator.  Walking into the Clubhouse has the feel of walking into a stately home.  Large fireplaces, oriental rugs, antique chandeliers and furnishings help create an intimate ambiance loved by our members and their guests - the perfect combination of gracefully aged elegance and top-notch amenities.  "In looking back over the past hundred years, it might appear that things have not really changed very much.  Certainly the location is different, the golf course and facilities far exceed the club's humble beginnings at Gilmer Park, and memberships selling for $25.00 in the olden days peaked as high as $115,000 in 1998.

Today, approximately 440 golfing members and 150 social members enjoy the clubhouse and 18-hole championship par-72 golf course sitting on 175 acres with commanding views of the mountains and city.  The Club resides on the south east side of Salt Lake City on the foothills of the Wasatch mountain range just 10 minutes from downtown Salt Lake and 20 minutes from world-class skiing at Snowbird, Alta or the Park City resorts.  In addition, the Club also has a swimming pool complete with a very popular summer swim and dive team for children.  A wide variety of golf tournaments and social activities are always complimented by unparalleled food and service.   

Customs have modified, new equipment has developed and dress has modernized, but the basic premise laid down by our founding fathers remains the same.  The Country Club exists to provide a luxurious and gracious social environment, to promote camaraderie and sportsmanship among its members, and to provide a superior setting for the game of golf.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »
More from the site..

Course History

Originally designed in 1920 by renowned golf course architect, William Bell, and redesigned in the 1960’s by Ralph Plummer due to the construction of I-80, The Country Club’s golf course is a gem nestled 10 minutes away from downtown Salt Lake City.  This 107 year old private club course challenges and interests golfers of all capabilities.  With undulant terrain throughout all 18 holes, the course design requires the use of all the clubs in your bag.  Memorable golf holes complete with heroic carries and serene mountain views create a golfing experience that our members and guests never grow tired of.

This “Golden Age” course has rich history.  In respecting the course’s heritage The Country Club hired nationally recognized golf course architect, John Harbottle, to restore the course back to the original design, preserve its unique features and create more interest for players of all abilities.  Renovation construction began in September of 2006 and was completed in the fall of 2007.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:35:03 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »
Kalen,

Yes, I did the same today, as well.   I just wasn't sure that they had much about the Forest Dale course.

The original course was really, really verball abused by visiting golfers.   If I get the chance tomorrow I'll post one from the Butte, MT team that pretty much cinched the move to Forest Dale.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:16 PM »
Kalen,

I also don't know if the club is aware that their original golf course circa 1899 was designed by THE Reverend Ellis Bishop of New Jersey (can I get an "Amen, brother?), or that their Forest Dale course was likely designed by 3, count 'em, 3 state golf champions. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »
A non-mormon reverend?  Allowed in Utah in 1899?  Nah...he'd a been run out of town  ;)

As for Forest Dale, I guess design by committe can indeed worked.  I've always like the layout as it has 3 par 3's, 3 par 4's, and 3 par 5s...even if its not in its original configuration.  I guess we can also put to bed that it was ever a 18 hole layout which it wasn't.  It remains my all time fav 9 holer course...just behind the short course at Lake Chabot in California.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »
You guys are trying for Tom Paul's list, right?  ??? ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 11:45:45 PM »
You guys are trying for Tom Paul's list, right?  ??? ;D

Mikes already made the list.

As for me I could only hope between doing this and all the course reviews at least an honorable mention is in the cards.   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:48:12 PM by Kalen Braley »

David Stamm

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »

Originally designed in 1920 by renowned golf course architect, William Bell, 

I'm very doubtful of the date on this, and it being original. BB did do some work in Utah (later), but he didn't start his own design firm until 1920 and his first projects were in So Cal.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »
Mark Fine and I visited the club for a possible assignment, but were not chosen. However, Mark still has some decent research. The current club is in a slightly different location as I recall.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »
More from the site..

Course History

Originally designed in 1920 by renowned golf course architect, William Bell, and redesigned in the 1960’s by Ralph Plummer due to the construction of I-80, The Country Club’s golf course is a gem nestled 10 minutes away from downtown Salt Lake City.  This 107 year old private club course challenges and interests golfers of all capabilities.  With undulant terrain throughout all 18 holes, the course design requires the use of all the clubs in your bag.  Memorable golf holes complete with heroic carries and serene mountain views create a golfing experience that our members and guests never grow tired of.

This “Golden Age” course has rich history.  In respecting the course’s heritage The Country Club hired nationally recognized golf course architect, John Harbottle, to restore the course back to the original design, preserve its unique features and create more interest for players of all abilities.  Renovation construction began in September of 2006 and was completed in the fall of 2007.

Visited SLC for the first time last month and saw this course from I-80 and was drooling as it looked quite nice.

Looked it up and found this thread which was quite interesting for the history being dug up. Even more interesting is that TCC's website for course history has been updated in the past 18 months to say this about the current course:

The Country Club remained at that location until 1920 when it relocated to its present location at the mouth of Parley's Canyon.  The golf course that was constructed in 1920 was designed by Willie Watson and Harold Lamb.  Mr. Watson was a notable architect who also designed numerous championship golf courses including the Olympic Club, Interlachen,and Harding Park.  Mr. Lamb was a local golf champion and was a member of The Country Club.  The original Clubhouse at the current location was completed in July, 1923.

I wonder what or how the club found that it was Watson and not Bell. Anyone happen to know what they found or who found it?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Joe Bausch

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where the Club's information indicating Watson and Lamb came from.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
This was/is a fun thread.  Watchagot Josef?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »
This was/is a fun thread.  Watchagot Josef?

A little birdie suggests that this course is just a Lamb; no Bell, no Watson.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »
An April 24, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette noted the Salt Lake course was recently completed by Watson.

Here's an Aug. 1926 Golf Illustrated image of the course:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:34:56 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

DMoriarty

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »
March 11, 1920, the Salt Lake Telegram:
GOLF ARCHITECT OF NATIONAL FAME TO MAP LOCAL LINKS
William Watson, golf architect who constructed most of the courses in California and around Chicago, will arrive in Salt Lake Saturday to map out Salt Lake's first eighteen-hole course at the mouth of Parley's canyon.
. . .
Watson will map out the links. Dave Smith, golf instructor of the Country club, will have charge of the construction.

On Sept. 21, 1921, Denver Rocky Mountain News reported that, in addition to planned Rocky Mountain CC, Watson "was also the architect of the new Salt Lake course, which will open this fall."
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »
Here is an article from July 22 talking about Harold Lamb:

DMoriarty

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
The Sept. 11, 1921 Salt Lake Telegram featured a full page layout on the club (including photos and a course map) with an article written by Harold Lamb himself.   What follows is an excerpt from the article:

Judging from the dates given, the description, and the other articles, the unnamed "golf architect" was most likely William Watson.

The rest of the article is interesting but the photos and map are almost illegible.  I'll send the .pdf to Joe and he can post it if he likes.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back