News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mitch Hantman

Machrihanish/Machrie travel advice needed
« on: February 20, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »
I am planning a trip to Machrihanish and Machrie this summer, and wanted travel/driving advice with regards to drive times, accomodations, restaurants, etc.  Also, if anyone has played Dunaverty, I would be curious as to your impression. 

We arrive Glasgow airport, so it seems to be about a three hour drive to Machrihanish from there. Does this sound correct? How long to get from Machrihanish to Machrie?  Is pre booking the ferry recommended? 

Mike Erdmann

Re: Machrihanish/Machrie travel advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
Three hours is about right for the drive from the Glasgow airport to Machrihanish.  As for accomodations, the Hunting Lodge Hotel (www.thehuntinglodgehotel.com) is a good option about 5 miles north of the golf course.  I don't think you'll find any really nice accommodations in the area, but any place with 500 different whiskys at the bar can't be that bad!  If you're looking to stay in Campbeltown itself, avoid the White Hart Hotel as its pretty dated.  Of course, the guest in the next room who decided to practice his bagpipes at 10pm didn't help leave a good impression.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
Dunaverty-lots of fun-great views-friendly.
Many good/fun holes.

Take the ferry instead and play Shiskine (12 holes) followed by Carradale (9) holes. A great first day.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »
Jeff,

Instead of which course?  Is there one you didn't care for?

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
I am planning a trip to Machrihanish and Machrie this summer, and wanted travel/driving advice with regards to drive times, accomodations, restaurants, etc.  Also, if anyone has played Dunaverty, I would be curious as to your impression. 

We arrive Glasgow airport, so it seems to be about a three hour drive to Machrihanish from there. Does this sound correct? How long to get from Machrihanish to Machrie?  Is pre booking the ferry recommended? 

Mitch

You may want to consider the foot ferry from Troon to Cambeltown.  Then perhaps fly from Glasgow to Islay - Machrie sets up deals for fly and play.  It would save quite a bit of driving/ferry time especially if you are looking to play few games on the mainland.  That said, the ferry from Kennecraig to Port Ellen (Islay) isn't long, maybe 3 hours tops.  You don't really need your car on that ferry route cuz the course can be reached quite easily from the port.  However, your car at Kennecraig is just sort of left there in the middle of nowhere!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »
Also, if anyone has played Dunaverty, I would be curious as to your impression. 

Dunaverty is worth it if you have the time. When I played Machrihanish I met the club captain (by chance) & he drove me down to Dunaverty the next day & we played together. Some of the nicest people I have met who were happy to go out of their way to help.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
  Enroute to the Machrie make sure you get to the ferry stop on the Kintyre side with plenty of time to make the last ferry. I missed it by 20 minutes and had to backtrack and find a room up north a few miles. But I was driving after playing Royal Dornoch in the AM.  
  Stayed at the Hunting Lodge and it also has good food in addition to the libations. Some B&Bs by Machrihanish should be checked out.
 At Machrie if you have the time walk the course backwards and take notes. As you de-ferry take the left fork of the main road and keep going and going.
   If you drive back to Glasgow after playing golf expect traffic problems from Loch Lomond GC south, even with the contraflow.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:30:24 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »
Make sure you play Machrihanish Dunes (new DMK course that opens in May). It looks very tasty.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

C. Sturges

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »
If it is open try to play Machrihanish Dunes.  I toured the course last year and it looks to be very fun.  A great day of 36 at the two courses.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
One question not yet answered:  How long is the trip from Machrihanish to Machrie, including the ferry? 

C. Sturges - how long should I allow to drive from Machrie to Dornoch?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
Machrie - Machrihanish is about 3 1/2 hours, including ferry.
Machrihanish-Dornoch is 5 1/2 hours.
Machrie-Dornoch is 7 1/2 hours, including ferry.
Do not make the mistake of driving through Oban. Big mistake, big.

Walter Bart

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:05:30 PM »
  A few years ago, I drove from Dorncoch to Machrahanish. It took me about seven hours, with a stop for lunch. I must say it was one of the most beautiful, memorable rides of my life. 

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »
Mitch,

You can fly from Glasgow Airport to both Machrie and Machrihanish. I haven't got the link to hand but will post it shortly once I find it. The flight to Machrihanish only takes about 25 mins and the plane lands between the old and new.

The cost isn't particularly hideous but I think I'm right in saying there are only flights in morning (9 am ish) and early evening (5 ish).

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Mitch,

www.loganair.co.uk

try the above link for details. Both Machrie and Machrihanish are £119 each which includes green fees, lunch and transfers to and from the course. You might want to check if that is the winter price as I seem to recall it was advertised at a slightly higher rate last year.

Niall

Michael Mimran

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:43 AM »
DO NOT STAY AT THE HUNTING LODGE. 

I stayed there this past July and we were entirely dissapointed.  The setting of the hotel is unreal (right on the water), unfortunately thats about it.  Rooms were filthy, and the food was awful.  The whiskey bar did have a good selection however the place was sold a few years ago and the original owner took the real rare stuff with him.  Unfortunately I don't have a good alternative for you, but if you can avoid the place I certainly would.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »
On Islay I'd recommend http://www.harbour-inn.com/ in Bowmore. It's really fantastic food.

And you can visit the Bowmore Distillery while you're there, if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

If you like whisky, there are a number of distilleries on the island:

Bowmore
Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Bunnahabhain
Caol Ila
Kilchoman
Bruichladdich
Ardbeg...
John Marr(inan)

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Dunaverty is really good fun -- a short trip by car from Machrihanish, and while not a championship course by any means, and short, it does have some legitimately strong holes, links turf, and some fine views of the sea. A real antique-like place, with a feel that things haven't changed there in years.

Carradale is up the Kintyre Peninsula a bit from Campbeltown, and a longer trip than the shortish jaunt down to Dunaverty. And the latter is 18 holes vs. nine for Carradale. Shiskine, on the Isle of Arran, is a day-trip via car and ferry; a lot of fun, but it carves a day out of your schedule.

For lodging, try the Ardell House in Machrihanish proper; it overlooks the course (you can walk to the clubhouse and first teel), run by a guy who pretty much caters to the golf crowd, and has a fine upstairs sitting room with single malts on tap. Not fancy, but clean and well-run; they guy knows golfers. The Machrihanish clubhouse does do meals, I think, and there is a pub or two in town.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
Dunaverty is really good fun -- a short trip by car from Machrihanish, and while not a championship course by any means, and short, it does have some legitimately strong holes, links turf, and some fine views of the sea. A real antique-like place, with a feel that things haven't changed there in years.

Carradale is up the Kintyre Peninsula a bit from Campbeltown, and a longer trip than the shortish jaunt down to Dunaverty. And the latter is 18 holes vs. nine for Carradale. Shiskine, on the Isle of Arran, is a day-trip via car and ferry; a lot of fun, but it carves a day out of your schedule.

For lodging, try the Ardell House in Machrihanish proper; it overlooks the course (you can walk to the clubhouse and first teel), run by a guy who pretty much caters to the golf crowd, and has a fine upstairs sitting room with single malts on tap. Not fancy, but clean and well-run; they guy knows golfers. The Machrihanish clubhouse does do meals, I think, and there is a pub or two in town.

Phil,
My point to Mitch was rather than driving around to Machrahanish(3 1/2 hours) from Glasgow on arrival day, (to presumably play that afternoon)he should take the ferry off the flight  to Shiskine (on Arran)-play the 12 hole course there-catch the ferry across to the Machrahanish side-then play the 9 holer at Carradale on the way to Cambeltown-all on his arrival day.
The ferry is scenic,restful,and enjoyable and you can get a good meal(saving time)-and neither course is a taxing walk.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Norbert P

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
  This excursion is well worth it. If your choice is to journey out there, then you've decided to take a step back from the hoards. Salute!  My first course in Scotland was Shiskine - a great introduction to fun links golf. We took the ferry from Ardrossan with a rental car. This may not be the best option if you're going to Machrie but we didn't take that jump.

Carradale is a fun niner with losts of shorty 4's and sporty 3's.
 Dunaverty is charming with a heavy bovine presence and seashore views. (I only walked out to the beach - didn't play - got there too late.)
 Machrihanish and the lure of the new Dunes course - I cannot imagine passing it up.

Scotch on the Mull of Kintyre!? Try the Springbank
     Islay? Great big selection... Caol Isla is terrific.  Most there tend to be a peaty lot.

Happy Trails!!
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Phil McDade

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »

Phil,
My point to Mitch was rather than driving around to Machrahanish(3 1/2 hours) from Glasgow on arrival day, (to presumably play that afternoon)he should take the ferry off the flight  to Shiskine (on Arran)-play the 12 hole course there-catch the ferry across to the Machrahanish side-then play the 9 holer at Carradale on the way to Cambeltown-all on his arrival day.
The ferry is scenic,restful,and enjoyable and you can get a good meal(saving time)-and neither course is a taxing walk.

Jeff:

I'm not sure that's doable in a day -- it's an hour to Adrossan and the ferry from Glasgow, another hour on the ferry to Brodick, another 45 minutes or so around the island to Shiskine, another drive along narrow roads up to the ferry post to the Kintyre Peninsula, 30 minutes on a ferry from Arran to the Kintyre peninsula, and then yet another drive down the coast to Carradale. That's a pretty hectic day, without any golfing involved. I'd stay a day or two on Arran, which has a few other courses as well.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »

Scotch on the Mull of Kintyre!? Try the Springbank
     Islay? Great big selection... Caol Isla is terrific.  Most there tend to be a peaty lot.

Happy Trails!!

Springbank is a lovel distillery. And if you do their "Gold" tour, you get to walk into an Aladin's Cave of whiskys behind their Cadenhead shop. You can try lots and lots of stuff there. They bottle whiskey from a huge range of distilleries.
John Marr(inan)

Steve Salmen

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
Mitch,

One of the biggest mistakes I've made traveling to Scotland was not taking it easy and enjoying the stay at Machrie.  It's a really beautiful, relaxing place.  If you make it there, you should spend a couple days, play a lot of golf, and not be in a rush to get out.

In 2006 I took the ferry to Port Ellen, drank till 4, teed off at 6, played 36 at Machrie , ferry back to Kennacraig then drove to Dornoch.  The golf and drive could have been a lot more enjoyable were it not for lack of time and sleep and abundance of consumption.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »
Mitch,

One of the biggest mistakes I've made traveling to Scotland was not taking it easy and enjoying the stay at Machrie.  It's a really beautiful, relaxing place.  If you make it there, you should spend a couple days, play a lot of golf, and not be in a rush to get out.

In 2006 I took the ferry to Port Ellen, drank till 4, teed off at 6, played 36 at Machrie , ferry back to Kennacraig then drove to Dornoch.  The golf and drive could have been a lot more enjoyable were it not for lack of time and sleep and abundance of consumption.

Steve

Rushing around is the biggest mistake I think most Americans make when they come over.  Its sort of how they "do" Europe or even a single country - just an itinerary blur of trying to pack in as much as possible as if "free" time is some sort of crime.  If one were to ask an American how best is it to see the States he would say you can't see it all in one go.  Yet, what do Americans do.....   I will never understand it, but like Tom P states, the Big World Theory baby!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »
To All,

As usual, many great suggestions have come forth.  Rest assured, I am not planning on rushing through this visit at all, as I come over to Scotland every year.  This year it is the Machrihanish/Machrie area, and then the Dornoch area.

Does everyone who has been to Machrie feel that the Machrie Hotel is the best option? 

Also, any other B&B "recommendations/avoidances" in Machrihanish?

Mitch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back