News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Castle Course - Anyone playing it?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 08:04:20 AM »
Sean, how many great courses got it right first time, off the mark, with zero changes afterwords? 

GREAT QUESTION!!! At Bandon I have seen many changes at BD, but what has been changed at PAC Dunes?

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 08:22:25 AM »
Sean, how many great courses got it right first time, off the mark, with zero changes afterwords? 

Jim

I wouldn't have thought too many.  What does your question have to do with speed of the changes?  I am only suggesting that the seemingly radical design concept at The Castle course hasn't been given enough time to be properly assessed.  Given what it costs to build and rebuild, wouldn't it seem prudent to hold off on any changes for a reasonable length of time?  If not, why the heck was the radical idea given the green light in the first place?  What, an experienced archie and lord knows how many hangers on can't tell if certain features are going to be controversial? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
Many thanks, Robin.

As to repeated play by the locals, is the Castle included in their annual golf fee?  If not, I can't see too many St. Andreans paying the rack rate on a regular enough basis to gain local knowledge.

Rich

Rich,

It is included in the Links ticket.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 09:01:42 AM »

Here are some pictures. They don't show alot of the architecture, but I wasn't part of the discussion group when I went. 

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »

GREAT QUESTION!!! At Bandon I have seen many changes at BD, but what has been changed at PAC Dunes?

Anthony

#14 on Bandon Trails has been tinkered with quite a bit as well, I'm told.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Gary Slatter

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »
Tom Doak

I spent this past weekend in St. Andrews, and the Castle clubhouse is not obviously visible from the town, the other courses or the beach (I didn't notice it, but wasn't really looking either).  I did drive through the Castle for a look, and the clubhouse is very weird-looking, like something left over from the 1964 World's Fair on Long Island (viz. the climatic scenes of"Men in Black").  The road down to the clubhouse is weird too.  There is very little evidence that you are driving through the middle of a golf course, because the road is lined on both sides by those 5-10 foot Don King Hairdo mounds that (from the pictures) "grace" the course.  The clubhouse is settled into those mounds, as Tom Dunne says.  Overall, it looks and feels more like a back lot for the old Star Trek series than a golf course, but I'll reserve final judgement until when and if I play the course.  I say "if," because at £120 I'm not paying the rack rate.  Has anybody on here played the course without being comped?  If so, was it value for money?

Rich
Hello Rich, I've played it five times, once comped, once on opening day (invite) and three times using my Links Ticket.  The Castle is included on the Links ticket for an extra 10 pounds per year.  160 total is the best deal in golf!  Because it is a mile from town it didn't seem to get used by many of the Links ticket holders although almost every other time is available for local play within certain dates.

I don't think the greens have been altered this winter, they were not as bad as many people, including myself, said.  They have softened some of the in-fairway Don Kings.

The clubhouse is unusual from the outside and the design caused many difficulties but overall I think it is quite good, the retail area is bigger than the F&B area but it helps raise money for the "charity". Altho it is "hidden" from town, it is very hard to miss from the Torrance Course and our clubhouse is very visable from most of the Castle Course.  The spaceship design fits with the seafood restaurant in town, two "modern" buildings.

I doubt seriously that the Links would consider expanding further, the Castle will be their last venture in that direction.  Hopefully the Eden and Jubilee could see some improvements with any surplus.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back