News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

Re: British Open rota
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
Does Dundonald have a chance to get an Open?  I thought it was  harder than every course on the rota except for Carnoustie. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
Dundonald is 5 minutes from Troon so a bit close.

The Open would be strengthened with a second course south of Chester, but where...
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
Mark C,

Thanks for your message. Yes hosting a Walker Cup or a Senior Open first would be a good way to test the water for Deal or any of the other clubs being mentioned! And yes, I think another venue more to the south would be a good idea but where?

I think it would have to be between your club Deal, Saunton or Royal Portcawl in Wales.

Mark H,

You mention Porthcawl not getting it. Any specific reason I'm missing as I've not played it?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »
James - Cruise ships do dock at Dover for the championship. I've stayed on one in Newcastle for the Great North Run, not a daft idea.

How long is the train ride down to Deal from London?

When I went to the Open in St Andrews in 2005 I had the impression there were a lot of people staying in Edinburgh who were coming up by train.  There sure aren't as many beds in St Andrews as there were spectators!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
It's around 2 hours. Deal is a little off the beaten track so I don't think the train is direct

Scott Warren

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 07:02:48 AM »
As someone who lives in London, just joined Deal (if they approve me this weekend) and does not have a car, I have been doing a fair bit of research on that very question.

The fastest trains are 1h59m. Most are about 2h07m. The train station is 1.2 miles from the course.

Can someone explain to me the issue with taking it to a course close to an existing rota course (ie. Kingsbarns or Dundonald). Surely golf-wise, a different course is a different course. Is it more a case of wanting to take it to different parts of Britain?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 07:03:13 AM »
If they can get people to Sandwich, they can get them to Deal.  The two are virtually adjacent.

And, boy, is the guy who owns that toll road that runs between the two places going to make a lot of money!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 07:19:54 AM »
As a point of principle I think they should take it to different parts of the UK. I'm not sure if there is a *need* to have multiple courses in nearby locations (although having said that Lytham and Birkdale aren't far apart, nor Troon and Turnberry). Personally, although there might be no need, I would welcome the variety and I'd like to see some new courses on the rota, even if they are close to existing ones. Deal for example plays very different from RSG

It would be good to have it NI, Wales and the South West, the latter two having not hosted any Open previously.

Rich - I think the Sandwich Bay Estate residents (owners of the toll road) got rather castigated for continuing to charge tolls back in 2003....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:23:50 AM by Jamie Barber »

Jamie Barber

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22:39 AM »
oops

Scott Warren

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »
I drove through the estate at 7.15am on Sunday and back through at 2.30pm and at both times the booth was unmanned. I take it that is uncommon?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »
I drove through the estate at 7.15am on Sunday and back through at 2.30pm and at both times the booth was unmanned. I take it that is uncommon?

It's an honesty box, Scott.  You owe them £50 plus court costs.

just kidding....

Rich

Jamie Barber

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »
+ you went through the Deal end ... the chap tends to man the Sandwich end usually (he was there when I left).

Sandwich is the posh end you see :)

Niall C

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2009, 01:56:28 PM »
Does Dundonald have a chance to get an Open?  I thought it was  harder than every course on the rota except for Carnoustie. 

Dundonald - just played it this afternoon. Had 101 playing from the tips. In my defence, I was crap.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »
It seems to me that the only reason the R&A would look for a new course to add to the roster (not rota) would be if one of the current bunch chose not to host the championship or that some action by an outside agency, such as a blockade by French lorry drivers or a strike by signalmen, rendered a venue unsuitable - they do have plans for an alternative venue were some disaster to prevent the scheduled host being unable to hold the event.

As we've seen potential additions are few in number and mostly near an existing host. Royal St George's is the only host in the south of England, but if political pressure were brought to bear on the R&A to move the championship to other parts of the UK which have never yet hosted the Open, then the only way would be to rebuild an existing course, or even make a composite course out of two, as well as investing heavily in road and rail building, hotel and guest house building - a rather expensive operation even for the R&A. Perhaps there is a potential composite course from the 36 holes at Saunton, but roads and rails and accommodation are inadequate. Maybe something could be created at Pyle and Kenfig but the land is protected. Would somebody be given freedom to explore the dunes at Harlech - they're probably protected, too. You could make quite an interesting composite course out of the best holes at Conwy and North Wales - they are next door to each other in a manner of speaking - but you'd also have to build a vast bridge across the Conwy Estuary to link them. How about a composite course derived from Hillside and S and A? That only needs a railway bridge.

Only really revolutionary thinking - such as building a completely new course on land which at present doesn't seem to be links (if Kingsbarns can do it....) - will suffice. So, start identifying that tract of land now....

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
If the Royal and Ancient wanted to make a big splash they should strongly consider a return to Ireland...although this time to the Republic. Think of the publicity, good will, and momentum for the game this would achieve. Ireland got quite excited over hosting a Ryder Cup, why not an Open Championship? From a logistical standpoint, I'd say it would have to be close to Dublin. I'd opt for the European Club, although Portmarnock and County Louth would have to be considered also.

Scott Warren

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2009, 02:55:27 PM »
It wouldn't happen for the same reason the US Open will never be held in Canada.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
Scott- I think it could go to Ireland. In 1949 The Amateur Championship went to Portmarnock, the Amateur Championship is under the same guidance as the Open Championship. It will be interesting to see if any courses get added to the Amateur Championship rota as an 'Open course' has never been selected that has not staged the 'Amateur' other than Princes.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
One would imagine the introduction of the euro has made any chance of the Open going to Ireland even more remote.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
The Amateur Championship has been held inland - Ganton.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
Mark - In the 60's there was much talk of the Open going inland. Wentworth & Ganton were favourites. Michael Bonnalock supported the Open going inland then as well.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Niall C

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »
Dundonald - when I played there last week I had good look round and there is loads of room for spectators to move round the course and also for tented village. Glasgow Gailes and Barassie are virtually adjoining so they might also be persuaded to lend some land for parking etc.

My only reservations relate to the course itself which somehow seems half finished eg some fairways have loads of movement while otheres are dead flat. Most importantly, a lot of the greens simply don't play like links greens as quite a few of them are plateau'd and steep run offs back and sides.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »
How would the Renaissance Club hold up? 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »
I have always thought Prestwick with a bit of work could almost restage the Open. A lot f the infrastructure is good, hotels, roads, airport, rail. If they lost 14 and 15 and built two new holes north of 11, say 470 yards each, used the area between 3/4/7/8 for the tented village, used 14/15 for practice ground I think it could 'nearly' be done. A few bottlenecks but St Andrews & Carnoustie have plenty of no go areas. Nostalgically lots of you wont want to lose 14 & 15, but courses evolve and many make changes.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
Dundonald ?????????

It's a decent course, didn't feel like a links when I was there... didn't find it really hard even in miserable conditions.

What course would you kick out of the rota....first

The idea of playing the US Open in Canada is a good one, we have a hard finding a course to hold the Canadian Open...

Niall C

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
Dundonald ?????????

It's a decent course, didn't feel like a links when I was there... didn't find it really hard even in miserable conditions.

What course would you kick out of the rota....first

The idea of playing the US Open in Canada is a good one, we have a hard finding a course to hold the Canadian Open...

Philippe,

I totally agree Dundonald doesn't feel or play like a links which was why I suggested it would need remodelling. In fact I would say that Dundonald was probably a lost opportunity for a really good links course. That said, what it could offer infrastructure wise is as good as any of the other Open courses in Scotland.

Which course would I drop ? How about the Old Course. Even if its not dropped it shoulodn't be played there every 5 years in my view.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back