News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

Re: British Open rota
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »
:)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »
I think it is suprising what little space you can get away with for spectators and a grandstand does not take as much space   as perhaps you might first think. If you think of Lytham its quite tight in places and Carnoustie has lots of areas that spetactators can't go, even at 17/18. St Andrews is largely just corridor down the sides.
The real NEED is the space for tented villages, car parks.
I do not know enough about Deal to comment. Mark would know more about the rumours and the truth's. My own opinion would be that the R & A would use the tried and tested one next door, working with the same committees is much easier year after year. I expect it is all quite demanding.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jamie Barber

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
As a point of principle I think it's a shame they don't take the Championship to more courses. I certainly think there are plenty of links that are worthy of hosting it, and variety would be a good thing. I also disagree with taking it back to TOC as often as they do.

However, I think the R&A have no interest.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
Jamie - You seem to be ignoring the posts and the reasons. The infrastructure is more important than the course. The St Andrews Opens are the special ones, its the one that generates the most ££££ and the one the players really love.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:51:18 AM by Adrian_Stiff »
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »
I would be surprised if the R&A are giving serious consideration to adding anyone else to the rota.  Hoylake & Turnberry have both been added back to the rota in recent years and there are now nine courses apparantly active on the rota:

TOC
Carnoustie
Muirfield
Royal Troon
Turnberry
Royal Lytham
Royal Birkdale
Royal Liverpool
Royal St Georges

On the basis that TOC gets the Open every 5 years that means the other courses get it every ten years.  I thought I'd read (but can't remember where) that the R&A were happy with that scenario.

If anywhere else were to be added then one of the Kent coast courses would seem to be in the driving seat given their proximity to centres of population and the fact that the Open only goes that far south once every ten years or so.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jamie Barber

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »
Adrian - I'm not ignoring them - but I don't believe the infrastructure argument. Sandwich wouldn't get on the rota on that basis (I know, I live there), and Muirfield/Troon/Turnberry are hardly easy to get to. Therefore, if these courses are on the rota, I cannot believe the R&A couldn't take it elsewhere (Royal Aberdeen would have better infrastructure then all of those, not least a commerical airport close by).

TOC might generate the £££ but my opinion is that it's no longer a strong enough test for a tournament designed to find the champion golfer for the year. Dare I say dewy-eyed sentimentality?

I guess the argument is irrelevant anyway, because the R&A's position is very clear.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:01:15 PM by Jamie Barber »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »
Jamie- Infrastructure is so much more than just the road networks. You are correct, most Open rota courses are difficult to get to, I suspect ALL links golf courses would be and some will be very difficult.
It is the whole package of about 20 things where the boxes need to be ticked.
Even for the regional qualfying for the championship, it involves a lot of box ticking to get selected.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »
It can't be more than access to the course, access and space on the course and accommodation /ammenities in the near vicinity. I'm not suggesting moving to the more remote courses like Islay or Brancaster - but can infrastructure really be the main the reason we are restricted to the current list? On that basis some of the existing venues don't really cut it. I just think it would be nice to have a larger rotation. We have so many great courses, it's shame it's a closed shop - which I guess is political (by which I mean there isn't the will to expand the list)

PS it's not just golf - I preferred it when they played England international at different venues whilst Wembley was being rebuilt :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:54:05 PM by Jamie Barber »

James Boon

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
I can assure you councils virtually knock the door down at St Andrews not the other way round, the Open is worth a considerable on going income to the local economies.

Mark, I was thinking of the cost of any infrastructure upgrades etc but having just read the Dover District Council report again:
“The economic impact study suggests that the 2003 Open Championship at Royal St
Georges resulted in an additional spending within the local economy of East Kent of about
£17.6 million. Thousands of temporary jobs were created directly to set-up, service and take
down the event. These direct jobs equated to 176 full-time equivalents, of which some 112
FTE were sourced from the East Kent economy."
I suppose most councils wouldn't mind an addiional £17.6 million being spent in their region!

And my Cruise Ships suggestion was a little tongue in cheek, but hey I'm sure many great ideas have started that way  ;D

I'd love to see an Open at say Dornoch or Deal, I'm just not sure the R&A want to do it at the moment, otherwise I'm sure they would make it happen?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:18 AM »
It can't be more than access to the course, access and space on the course and accommodation /ammenities in the near vicinity. I'm not suggesting moving to the more remote courses like Islay or Brancaster - but can infrastructure really be the main the reason we are restricted to the current list? On that basis some of the existing venues don't really cut it. I just think it would be nice to have a larger rotation. We have so many great courses, it's shame it's a closed shop - which I guess is political (by which I mean there isn't the will to expand the list)

PS it's not just golf - I preferred it when they played England international at different venues whilst Wembley was being rebuilt :)

Jamie,

Welcome to GCA!

I meant to quote you last night when I posted, but it was late and seemed to miss it...

I agree with you (and on the England playing away from Wembley point also) in that we have so many great courses in this country, it would be great to see some of those not currently on the rota, hosting an Open. In the US they have recently opened it up to include Bethpage (from across the pon this seemed a good choice to me) and Torrey (not sure about that one though), so as we have said, it seems that the will is just not there? Shame!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »
Adrian - I'm not ignoring them - but I don't believe the infrastructure argument. Sandwich wouldn't get on the rota on that basis (I know, I live there), and Muirfield/Troon/Turnberry are hardly easy to get to. Therefore, if these courses are on the rota, I cannot believe the R&A couldn't take it elsewhere (Royal Aberdeen would have better infrastructure then all of those, not least a commerical airport close by).

TOC might generate the £££ but my opinion is that it's no longer a strong enough test for a tournament designed to find the champion golfer for the year. Dare I say dewy-eyed sentimentality?

I guess the argument is irrelevant anyway, because the R&A's position is very clear.

Niall C

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2009, 06:54:17 AM »

Sorry pressed the wrong button previously !

Jamie, at the risk of getting shouted down again, I think you are wrong about Troon. As someone who goes to all the Opens when they are in Scotland, Troon has to be about the easiest and best served for road and rail. Its vitually all dual carriage way in and out and the parking is on the Portland Course which is virtually adjacent to the course.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2009, 07:01:53 AM »
James - Cruise ships do dock at Dover for the championship. I've stayed on one in Newcastle for the Great North Run, not a daft idea.

I would love to see a smaller venue once every 10 to 15 years, however there is a huge investment for a smaller return. The USGA must be taking a hit going to Merion.
Cave Nil Vino

Jamie Barber

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2009, 07:11:29 AM »
Niall - point taken - Troon/Turnberry are probably bad examples as I guess they are not too far form Glasgow.

PS didn't mean to "shout you down" before, just a tongue-in-cheek comment :)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
I cannot imagine the R&A moaning the fact that the last six TOC Opens were won by; Woods, Woods, Daly, Faldo, Seve and Nicklaus.

Woods may have won with 14 and 19 under par but that is with the generous par of 72.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2009, 08:40:44 AM »
Niall - point taken - Troon/Turnberry are probably bad examples as I guess they are not too far form Glasgow.

PS didn't mean to "shout you down" before, just a tongue-in-cheek comment :)

actually, I think you were right about Turnberry. It will be interesting to see how it goes this year.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
Kingsbarns is not going to make it...

I loved the front nine, lots of subtleties,  the back nine is too 'American' (sorry folks) for the Open... It just doesn't have the feel of links golf on the back nine, and 16th 17th and 18th are ????

The Renaissance Club has more chance than Kingsbarns and it's probably not going to make it (unless every links courses are flooded due to global warming). Although the Renaissance Club is probably more linksy than Lytham and St Annes... The pine forest on the first few holes would just be too much...

Castle Stuart could have a chance... I don't know if Inverness can take it though.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »
When playing Crail 4-5 and 6 I think, we thought hell if there's a playoff for the Open they should bring it here... 60 feet high open steep bank for 600 yards could host a lot, a lot of people

Mark Pearce

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
When playing Crail 4-5 and 6 I think, we thought hell if there's a playoff for the Open they should bring it here... 60 feet high open steep bank for 600 yards could host a lot, a lot of people
4 and 5 would be fantastic play off holes, one a par 3 1/2, one a 41/2 and all that water on the right.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

jeffwarne

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »

the last 2 winners at St. Andrews are Tiger Woods-nuff said-
save Daly in '95,they've had the best players of their era EVERY TIME.

or are we trying to identify Lawrie and Van deVelde?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Philippe Binette

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »
woods wins were without strong winds... TOC with a 15-20 mph wind is another animal

Anthony Gray

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
Kingsbarns is not going to make it...

I loved the front nine, lots of subtleties,  the back nine is too 'American' (sorry folks) for the Open... It just doesn't have the feel of links golf on the back nine, and 16th 17th and 18th are ????

The Renaissance Club has more chance than Kingsbarns and it's probably not going to make it (unless every links courses are flooded due to global warming). Although the Renaissance Club is probably more linksy than Lytham and St Annes... The pine forest on the first few holes would just be too much...

Castle Stuart could have a chance... I don't know if Inverness can take it though.

Phillipe,

Too new but not too American. The first par 3 is the postage stamp (very Scotish). 16 with the small burn behind the green is very unamerican. In America water is infront of the green never behind. 18 is very similiar to a hole at Turnberry. 12 very american yes.12 reminds me of a hole I have played in California.

I think KB is not tradional enough for The Open.

I am curious how Castle Stuart is recieved.

Anthony

Mark Hissey

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »
Wales needs an Open. Unfortunately, Porthcawl won't qualify. What would qualify is a new golf course on this land:

http://www.charliesbirdblog.com/~charlie/kenfig11july06/kenfig_04.jpg

jeffwarne

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2009, 09:23:32 AM »
Wales needs an Open. Unfortunately, Porthcawl won't qualify. What would qualify is a new golf course on this land:

Wonder if Trump and one of the Fazios(or maybe a cousin) are available? :D :o ??? :P ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dean Stokes

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »

Wonder if Trump and one of the Fazios(or maybe a cousin) are available? :D :o ??? :P ;D
Damn. you beat me to it by 8 mins Jeff!!!!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back