News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Would the 17th at CPC be a vastly better hole if
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Tom Huckaby,

I find the hole to be a wonderful hole, and, as someone else stated, probably one of the great views in golf from the tee.

With or without the trees I have to believe it's a fabulous hole.
The trees make it quite unique.

But, again, if it wasn't CPC, I wonder if someone building an identical hole would incorporate trees in the middle of the fairway.

Plus, I thought by starting this thread I'd take some of the heat off TEPaul and his irrational defense of removing and failing to restore an internal feature on the 18th green at PV. ;D

Pat - no hassles my friend, well done.

It is a good question anyway as to how it gets done from the start... my assumption remains that the trees were there and just LEFT... man it would take ballus maximus to PLANT such things.  Of course Mackenzie might just be the one to do so.  In any ever however it worked out, I remain very glad the trees are there.  It takes everything you said - which is all very true - and then just throws in this quirk that for me puts it over the top, vaults this hole to all-world great status.  Sans trees, no matter what replaces them, I just can't see it being as great.  And it remains the uniqueness that makes it so over the top great.  For me.  Chip Oat just rolled in his future grave.

;D

Brad - heck, if any place deserves each of the things you mention, it's Cypress Point.

TH

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2009, 09:30:07 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

I just tried to obtain the chrono aerials from Historicaerials.com, Unfortunately, they indicated that the feature is not available for that area.  Only the 2005 aerial is available.

George Freeman

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
Perhaps they should have axed the trees and kept the bunkers:

To me this picture shows the ideal hazard...and I assume what the Doc had invisioned.  The trees were present, and caused a strategic issue, however the gap next to the ocean was much larger (and a more legit option), and it looks like it was much easier to play over the trees on the second shot.  Now I assume you have to be pretty far back from them to go over.  Then you had the bunkers that really tied the whole thing together...awesome.

I have not played the course, so this is obviously all observation from pics, etc.

Do Cypress trees take well to being transplanted?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:56 AM »
....if the patrons couldn't peak around the fence at 18 tee and watch me double bogey 17!   :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back