News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

British Open rota
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
What course will be the next to host a British Open that isn't on the current rota?

I've noticed many mentions on here of Deal being a good chance to get another Open, but is it the most likely, or is there another course (Portrush, perhaps) in front of it in the queue?

Of course there are some courses that might be worthy of an Open, but are just in the wrong place for the off-course necessities...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:05:10 PM by Scott Warren »

Anthony Gray

Re: British Open rota
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »

Royal Portrush

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »
Is there any chance the R&A would put it on any of the newer courses in GB&I (not that I'm advocating it)? i.e. Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart, Castle Course, etc
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
How about Royal Porthcawl?  Where does this course fit in the minds of the R&A in terms of hosting its various championships, including the Open.  I would think the course, especially with the lengthened 12th hole could be worthy.

CJ Carder

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »
With the recent Senior British at Royal Aberdeen a few years ago, could that be a possibility?  I don't know if the logistics would work out though being as far north as it is.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »
I have never been to/played Dornoch, but could that course host the Open? 

Although it will never happen, how about North Berwick?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
Dornoch could host the Open.... if their was 144 players and 500 people in the crowd,
no infrastrasture big enough...

North Berwick hosted qualifiers, it's just too short sadly... would be awesome in a 20mph wind for the Ryder Cup.

I suggest Barnbougle Dunes (it's still part of the British Empire)

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
My bet would be on Kingsbarns. The course is regularly being played each year on the Euro PGA Tour and it more than holds its own. 

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Wayne, I suspect the R&A has looked into the matter of Porthcawl holding an Open.  I doubt Deal will be in the picture if only because its next door to Sandwich.  I just don't know about Portrush.  All three are possible candidates, but I think Porthcawl is the strongest of the three.  However, that doesn't mean Porthcawl is a strong candidate!  I can't see Kingsbarns holding an Open if only because its near TOC.  There is already a close neighbour in Carnoustie. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:01:02 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »
Location is important, hotels, roads, practice facilty, car parking, space for village.
Aberdeen, North B, Dornoch are 99% No's. Kingsbarns probably is a No as its too near St Andrews and it goes there every 5 years. Deal's chance will be a bit restricted now that St Georges got the 2011 nod. Porthcawl is improving in all the areas as the areas infrastructure is improving.
The Portrush reasons can only be they are worried about logistics.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
They need need need to play the Open in Ireland. Royal County Down anyone????
H.P.S.

henrye

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »
Not saying they're the greatest courses, but I would think Wentworth would be a natural from a logistics strandpoint.  Perhaps, Loch Lomond.

Shane Wright

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
I would love to see it at RCD but would they really do an OPEN with that many blind shots???  It is plenty hard enough, but I think Carnoustie may still be harder. 

Although I would love to see it, I highly doubt Portrush will be reconsidered due to location and the poor attendance at the last one.....even though it was over 50 years ago, I think this would still be a big concern of the R & A.

TX Golf

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
Seems like the most likely locale would have to be Kingsbarns.... It has held up to the pros during the euro event (the Dunhill???) and would seem to have the room for all the other nonsense up in that field by the driving range.

I was also extremely surprised by the amount of love that Kingsbarns received from the locales during my two weeks in Scotland. Many of the caddies that we had within our groups even said that it was their favorite course in the area!!! I thought that was interesting hearing that from caddies at the Old Course.

I personally enjoyed it immensely and would love to see THE OPEN be held there. I guess it all depends if the R&A is willing to bring it to a modern venue.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 02:45:52 AM »
Not saying they're the greatest courses, but I would think Wentworth would be a natural from a logistics strandpoint.  Perhaps, Loch Lomond.
Not a chance.  Neither is a links.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:57 AM »
No chance for any of the ones mentioned, and for the main reason mentioned (lack of infranstructure)  Even Kingsbarn fails on this test--there is no there there and I don't think the players and R&A High Mucky Mucks would enjoy several daily 6-mile bus rides on a narrow twisty road back and forth to and from St. Andrews.  Another problem not mentioned is the lack of length at places like Dornoch, Royal Aberdeen, Porthcawl, etc.

Best chance?  The Trump course north of Aberdeen, if it ever gets built.......

PS--I heard a very credible rumor a few years ago about Deal getting the 2011 Open, so they may still be in the frame for a future one, unless the R&A looked at it this time and found it wanting.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:33:52 AM »
One of the reasons I asked is that it appears that there could be a call for a course not on the current rota to play host in 2014.

It's at Sandwich in 2011, Lytham in 2012 and will be at TOC in 2015.

That leaves 2013 and 2014 unaccounted for at this stage. After two years in England you'd be almost a sure thing to bet it will return to a Scottish course in 2013, which leaves 2014 - the year Scotland will be hosting the Ryder Cup and, almost certainly, the Commonwealth Games (a smaller version of the Olympics contested every four years between countries of/formerly of the British Commonwealth).

Some reports I have read are saying the country couldn't handle three major sporting events in the one year, especially as the Comm games would almost certainly be held in June or July.

Sandwich, Lytham and Birkdale will each have hosted the tournament in the previous six years, which leaves Royal Liverpool (which hosted in 2006) or a left-field choice.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:01 AM »
Muirfield is probably 2013;
Troon is 2014 or 2016
Hoylake is 2014 or 2016
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »
RCD don't want it... too many spectators to ruin the vegetation...

Most other courses stated are too short  ::) and can't be stretched further... at least I hope not...

Or the infrastructure isn't there...

All that said, you would think that within the next 10 years, there might be pressure to introduce a newer course... Pressure by who I don't know... But it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility...

Jamie Barber

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
I've heard rumours that Deal were asked to think about the Open by the R&A, rather then putting themselves forward, and that they had an agreement to secure some land from a local farmer for a tented village and had access to a railway siding to improve access to the course. Whilst I think it's a fabulous course, I cannot see how it has space to cope with the crowds. Since then I've also heard rumours they are in trouble financially. I hope that is untrue.

I had also heard other rumours (different source) that not all the members at St George's favoured re-hosting the Open, and that they were quite prepared to sign a blank cheque to make up money brought to the club.

Personally, I would like to see the Open taken to more courses. Although it may seem like blasphemy I'm not a fan of taking it back to TOC so regularly because, as a test, I think I think it falls short of what is required for modern golf. Saunton would be a good choice but infrastructure may be an issue. I'd love see it at Prince's again too (granted the course would need some modification - bunkering mainly), but I doubt it will happen. I don't think the R&A are actively looking for courses

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
Jamie

Welcome to the site.  If you do not know already, there will be a gathering of GCA aficionados at Deal and Sandwich in mid-late September, in a Ryder Cup style format.  Look on the past page or two for a topic with "BUDA" in the title and if you are interested, you will find a way to participate in the event.

Cheers

Rich

henrye

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »
Not a chance.  Neither is a links.
Interesting, but I would have to think that the probability of an inland course has to be higher than "Not a chance" sometime in the future.  The ratio of inland courses to links in the UK has to be something like 10:1, or even greater.  The Scottish Open, as we all know has been played at Loch Lomond for a number of years now.  From an infrastructure standpoint, it's tough to beat some of the really strong heathland courses - again I'm thinking Wentworth, but something like Walton Heath could certainly fit the bill.  Close to London = $.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
Would a manufactured "links" like the Castle Course ever qualify?

And why would a course being "too close to St. Andrews" be a problem? Just because the locals wouldn't want for their lives to be interrupted again, or because the R&A needs to spread it around, or........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Steve Salmen

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
Am I the only person in the world that thinks Dundonald is a better golf course and a better test of golf than KB?

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
If you do not know already, there will be a gathering of GCA aficionados at Deal and Sandwich in mid-late September, in a Ryder Cup style format... if you are interested, you will find a way to participate in the event.

There may already be a waiting list...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back