News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Measuring firmness
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
Is there any basic equipment or testing technique that a layman (i.e. me) can get his hands on for the purpose of measuring firmness of turf on a golf course?

Thanks for any help,
Ally

Anthony Gray

Re: Measuring firmness
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »

I have seen our super use a pocket knife on the greens.

Anthony

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:31:50 AM »
Is there any basic equipment or testing technique that a layman (i.e. me) can get his hands on for the purpose of measuring firmness of turf on a golf course?

Thanks for any help,
Ally
It's called a 'foot' Ally.

Basically what you do is lean forward and place more weight on 'preferred' foot. Next apply a little more weight on said 'foot'.

At this point you should be able to determine how firm the ground is. People have been doing it for hundreds of years. :D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »
Ally:

If you're talking about measuring firmness from a "playability" standpoint, I certainly think there's a simple way to test it by getting a good player to go out in the fairway and hit a couple of good full wedges or 9 irons at the green. If you get a light dent for a pitch mark they are of really good firmness--ie "ideal" to me. If the shots break the turf, bring up some dirt and the ball spins back it's probably too receptive (for some types of architecture). If the shots do not leave an identifiable dent the green is probably too firm.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »
I'm talking about means of comparing firmness on one course to another...

...A scientific means.

A 'firm' equivalent of the stimpmeter would do fine beacuse it's a fairly easy tool...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »
I'm talking about means of comparing firmness on one course to another...

...A scientific means.

A 'firm' equivalent of the stimpmeter would do fine beacuse it's a fairly easy tool...

This is something for Dave Peltz. You could drop a 15 pound bowling ball from 5 feet then measure the depth of the indentation.

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »
Ally:

The USGA has now developed and patented a device they call the "Thumpmeter" that measures firmness of greens and such somewhat the way their patented "Stimpmeter" measures green speed.

I've been told that some of the TOUR pros have gotten pretty good at determining the firmness of the greens they are about to play by simply dropping balls from arms-length on putting greens.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:41:56 AM by TEPaul »

Will E

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:58 AM »
the USGA has a device that we called the "thump-o-meter", it essentially measures the cor of the area tested, it provides very detailed data

it was interesting to see the comparisons between green areas on the course and helped regarding the watering schedule

my understanding is that the USGA agronomists used this device at all of their championships last year

my guess is that someone here will have a more detailed description

Eric Morrison

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:47:31 AM »
This was in the Green Section record last year...
http://www.usga.org/turf/green_section_record/2008/mar_apr/Firmness.pdf
It is what it is.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
This was in the Green Section record last year...
http://www.usga.org/turf/green_section_record/2008/mar_apr/Firmness.pdf

Thanks Eric.

I saw that tool but realised that there was no way I could get my hands on it... Hence the question... Was there an interim simplistic method of taking these measurements / providing some analysis... This development surely cannot be the first time its been thought of?

Ally

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:04 AM »
Eric:

Thanks for posting that article by Bob Brame on the USGA's "Thumpmeter." I find the entire article to be very well presented and quite explanatory about all this device is trying to accomplish and also not accomplish. Personally, I very much agree with the way they seem to be going about it and the goals they are trying to acheive with it.

For starters, it appears they are careful to explain that the data derived from this piece of equipment should be used site specificially (and not be transported from course to course). For that reason I hope they never release some data barometer that can be transported from course to course such as we all know stimpmeter readings (greenspeed reading in terms of feet) can be and have been.

It looks to me like the USGA "Thumpmeter" is a whole lot more expensive than the Stimpmeter and for that reason alone will probably never be prevalently used by clubs on a regular basis!  ;)

The other thing I really like about that article is it does point out a basic correlation between turf health and dryness and firmness.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:26:20 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »
Ally:

Believe me, what I said about testing the firmness of a green's surface by hitting shots to it and analyzing the pitch mark works just fine using the method I mentioned in post #6. We've used that just fine in recent years. The only thing it lacks is it is generally done on one green and therefore is not so useful as that USGA "Thumpmeter" for creating firmness consistency on all the greens of the course. But supers are pretty good at getting that inline.

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
Ally,

The scientific term for this sort of firmness or elasticity is the "coefficient of restitution"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »
Ally,

The scientific term for this sort of firmness or elasticity is the "coefficient of restitution"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution

A colleague of mine a few years back was using one of those Calloway drivers with too high COR, so I changed the name from "coefficient of restitution" to "cheats opponents regularly" in this spoof article including video to shame my co-worker into changing to a legal driver:

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/golf/espngolf_fritz.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:38:11 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
Measuring firmness from course to course?  Oh no...here we go...first we had the green speed race...and now the firmness race.....with readings posted daily no doubt?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Measuring firmness from course to course?  Oh no...here we go...first we had the green speed race...and now the firmness race.....with readings posted daily no doubt?

Or, one person who's curious about all our talk about firm conditioning, and wanting some context.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »

Or, one person who's curious about all our talk about firm conditioning, and wanting some context.

Thank you Joe.

Craig, I am in no race.... I am trying to do some study on the changing playing characteristics of the classic Irish Links courses....

Really, I am looking to compare modern with ancient which is virtually impossible when looking at firmness without speculating about the effects Irrigation, Drainage, Climate, Improved Turf Science and Maintenance etc... has had on each Links... So an aside is to compare modern with modern...

Firmness is only one of about ten characteristics I am looking at...

Still, taking your point, I would much rather see courses competing over Firmness than Green Speeds. Wouldn't you?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »
Ally..can you compare modern with ancient?  There are so many variables regarding fairway firmness...weather....equipment....expectations...

As for courses competing firmness versus green speed....I think they both have tremendous costs associated with them...and not just monetary costs.

But think about this...one of many things to think about....your membership might love the idea of fast greens, but hate that their drives roll on out into the rough and trees....so now what? Mow the rough lower?  Cut some trees?  I know at my course firm and fast is are dirty words...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »
"The scientific term for this sort of firmness or elasticity is the "coefficient of restitution"

JohnK:

It is? With turf there's some kind of COR; or even with a ball that impacts turf?

Like a clubface or ball that come in contact with one another I realize there certainly is COR because they almost immediately return to their original pre-impact form after being momentarily deformed but I don't know that turf that is impacted by a golf ball has much of any elasticity or exactly returns to pre-impact form or "restitutes" ;) so I can't see how or why turf can be tested for some kind of COR data.  ;)

But I'm no scientist or physicist, that's for sure.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
Ally..can you compare modern with ancient?  There are so many variables regarding fairway firmness...weather....equipment....expectations...

As for courses competing firmness versus green speed....I think they both have tremendous costs associated with them...and not just monetary costs.

But think about this...one of many things to think about....your membership might love the idea of fast greens, but hate that their drives roll on out into the rough and trees....so now what? Mow the rough lower?  Cut some trees?  I know at my course firm and fast is are dirty words...

Craig, I don't think that you can compare Modern and Ancient in any realistic scientific way when it comes to 'firmness', as I said in my last post.

As for competing, it is you that brought it up. I flippantly suggested that I'd rather clubs competed over firmness than green speed but I understand that there are costs associated with both.

Let's just settle for "there should be no competing at all".

Ian Larson

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »
I spent the week mowing greens at Torrey Pines for the US Open. The Jim Moore and Brian Whitlark of the USGA were in charge of going green to green before and after the mowers and rollers using the stimpmeter, the thumper and a soil moisture sensor. Every green was approached independently. If a certain green was stimping a little slower, they would make us mow it again. If a certain green was softer it would be rolled until the consistent firmness was achieved. Water was applied sparingly and monitored with the sensor. A challenge the USGA had specifically with Torrey was that the holes that are located closest to the ocean out on the bluffs were consistently softer and slower than the ones closer to the clubhouse. They usually required more preparation to achieve the consistency with the others. All in all it was successful and Im sure it will become more of a staple with championship golf.

The thumper is an expensive electronic device. But there is also a simpler and cheaper version that has been used for years. Its called a penotrometer. Its simply a pointed rod inside a tube. The top end of the rod is marked with inches graduations and goes down to 1/8". All you do is raise the rod to a marked height and drop it without pushing. The rod will penetrate the green surface and the depth can be read on the top end. Its not precise, but it is approximate and can give the super a good idea of firmness from green to green.

Just like the stimpmeter and greenspeed, any device used for determining firmness should only be a tool used by the super. These are tools used to achieve consistency. They are not speedometers and should never be a concern to a playing member.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »

The thumper is an expensive electronic device. But there is also a simpler and cheaper version that has been used for years. Its called a penotrometer. Its simply a pointed rod inside a tube. The top end of the rod is marked with inches graduations and goes down to 1/8". All you do is raise the rod to a marked height and drop it without pushing. The rod will penetrate the green surface and the depth can be read on the top end. Its not precise, but it is approximate and can give the super a good idea of firmness from green to green.

Brilliant!

Thanks Ian

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
I'm sorry, I said they named it the "Thumpmeter" but I forgot that particular name was already taken (patented or service marked) so they sort of informally refer to it as "The Thumper".

John Kirk

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
According to the Wkipedia entry, there are a number of methods for calculating the COR.

The coefficient can also be found with:

COR = square root of h/H

for an object bouncing off a stationary object, such as a floor, where

h is the bounce height
    H is the drop height

So I think this is the relevant measure.  The fact that the ground deforms during impact is irrelevant.  Here are some more details from the Wikipedia entry:

The COR is generally a number in the range [0,1]. Qualitatively, 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision, while 0 represents a perfectly inelastic collision. A COR greater than one is theoretically possible, representing a collision that generates kinetic energy, such as land mines being thrown together and exploding. For other examples, some recent studies have clarified that COR can take a value greater than one in a special case of oblique collisions[1][2][3]. These phenomena are due to the change of rebound trajectory of a ball caused by a soft target wall. A COR less than zero is also theoretically possible, representing a collision that pulls two objects closer together instead of bouncing them apart.

An important point: the COR is a property of a collision, not necessarily an object. For example, if you had 5 different types of objects colliding, you would have {5 \choose 2} = 10 different CORs (ignoring the possible ways and orientations in which the objects collide), one for each possible collision between any two object types.

Generally, the COR (e) is thought to be independent of collision speed. However, in a series of experiments performed at Florida State University in 1955, it was shown that the value of e varies as the collision speed approaches zero, first rising significantly as the speed drops, then dropping significantly as the speed drops to about 1 cm/sec and finally rising again as the collision speed approaches zero. This effect was observed in slow speed collisions involving a number of different metals.

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »
JohnK:

Thanks for that post. Now I truly know why I never had the slightest inclination to become a scientist and probably even why I essentially flunked Physics in school. I know about as much about physics as Pat Mucci knows about Pine Valley and/or its trees.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back