News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Huff

Hank Haney's Golf Ranch - Texarakana
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »
My team is playing a tournament there next weekend and we won't have a chance to play the course beforehand.  Can anyone give me a preview on how to play the course?

I've tried to find info online and have only found very general info.

I hate to be off topic for the site but I know you guys to be a phenomenal resource.

Thanks for any help you can give.

BH

John Moore II

Re: Hank Haney's Golf Ranch - Texarakana
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
Well, I can't answer the question, but I can say that I would not consider it to be off topic. I mean, you are asking about architectural merits, positive or negative, relating to a specific course. Seems spot on topic to me. Never played the course though.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
Hopefully Michael Wharton-Palmer will see this.  If any GCAer has played the course, he's likely the one.  Also paging Jason Topp.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »
I've driven through Texarkana few times, but I've never stopped to play it.  Let us know what you think of the course Brad and maybe next time I will.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
Brad:

I spent three days playing the course a couple of years ago at about this time of year.  It was a terrific bargain destination - a very challenging yet interesting course in adequate but not great shape over dormant grass.

You will enjoy it although it can be set up extremely long (7500 or 7600).   See if this link allows you to get an aerial view of the course.  If this does not work, it is the course near the lake in the NW part of Texarakana.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=texarkana&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=22.709489,35.15625&ie=UTF8&ll=33.496868,-94.107707&spn=0.009108,0.019226&t=h&z=16

The front nine is on the left and the back nine is on the right.  The terrain is pretty hilly.  The par threes are very strong.  I can't give you a ton of advice about playing the holes, my memory is not good enough.  I primarily recall that you need to be hitting solid iron shots and the greens were relatively slow but in good shape for non overseeded greens.

Hopefully Michael will give you some info.  I would love to hear your thoughts after your tournament.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
I found a scorecard

http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=17949

Based on the aerial and scorecard I can piece together some memories.  If MWP contradicts any of this, go with his view.

Generally -

I think the course is pretty much visible from the tee so there should not be a ton of surprises.  The fairway bunkers generally guard the preferred line for the approach.  The soil is clay so it can be pretty baked if it has not rained.

Keep the ball in play.  Corridors are pretty wide but most of the underbrush is still in the trees meaning lost balls.  Middle of the fairway and middle of the green is almost always a good play.

A few things you should be careful about:

3  -  two streams cross the fairway on this par five.  Make sure you know your yardagres
5 - I recall value in keeping it left off the tee
6 - very good par three - slopes from left to right towards water.  Bailing out left leaves a difficult pitch
8 - 3 shot hole from a back tee but reachable if you play it from the whites.  Throuble is closer to the green than it appeared to me from the fairway.
9 - figure out yardage to end of the fairway if you are not playing the back tees

12 - reachable par five but a tight squeeze near the green. I would probably play conservatively the first time around in a stroke play event.

13 - short par 4 that might be driveable for you.  I alternated between driver and a conservative layup.  Green is angled to be approached from right side of fairway

14 - difficulty depends on what tee you play.  Hard dogleg right par four that is awkward.  Hit it to the 150 marker

15 - tough long island green par three.  I recall little room to the right and a little more margin on the left.  The aeirial, however, seems to show the opposite.

16 - good short par five squeezed by lake and trees.  Keep it right to deal with left slope to water. 

18 - middle of fairway, middle of green

Jeff Zeagler

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »
I have played the course a couple of years ago and agree with everything Jason said.  It is quite easily one of the most difficult courses I have played.  Unfortunately, I had a really bad experience as the pace of play was extremely slow (tough course + low green fees = slow play) as we were following a five that consisted 3 guys and 2 gals who were nattily attired in denim shorts and tank tops.  This group appeared to be having a much better time based on the number of Bud "heavys" I saw them take down.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a Marshall on the course.

I'll be interested you comments after the tournament.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back