News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re: Golf Recession Strikes Ireland, Scotland as Clubs Shed Workers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:33:45 AM »
Be curious how much architect Ron Kirby is paying while he still plays golf over there.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:21 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether or not the high end resorts will begin to discount their exorbitant prices, or at least offer some other incentives for punter to stay.  In my experience, the idea of discounting is not in the DNA of these places--they would rather stay half-empty (or is it half-full?) than break their pricing structure.  I think things will change, and change rapidly, if their business continues to erode as fast as it is currently doing.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
Brad,

As you know, architects do not pay for golf. We are too cheap (and getting cheaper all the time).

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether or not the high end resorts will begin to discount their exorbitant prices, or at least offer some other incentives for punter to stay.  In my experience, the idea of discounting is not in the DNA of these places--they would rather stay half-empty (or is it half-full?) than break their pricing structure.  I think things will change, and change rapidly, if their business continues to erode as fast as it is currently doing.

While the golf courses may not make the cut with this crew here at GCA, Disneyworld is the leader in understanding traveling consumers and multiple price points. Right now their main special is 7 nights for the price of 4 if you stay at a Disney resort. They also throw in free airport transportation (including bag delivery from airport to your room, which is an incredibly nice service) and you really don't need a car when you are on property since they want you spending money on property. They give resort guest free cab service to their golf courses.

Many, but not all, of the golf pricing models need to change, IMHO.

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
Strategically, Gleneagles is probably the lowest priority for Diageo right now, but those 700 workers are no doubt a lot more fortunate than most.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back