News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

any guesses who's leading....
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »
...the first LPGA event of the year?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

Re: any guesses who's leading....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
Wie choose not to name the leader. Wie think it might be a jinx to her to name her.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
i didn't mention her name either Garland...i know some consider her overexposed on GCA...and i hesitated posting because of that ---but she IS up by two right now

if she gets the monkey off her back in her first event, she might REALLY take off!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Blake

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
It would be great if Wie, Lewis, and Hurst all did very well this year...and continued to duel it out for years to come.

Hurst sure has a smooooth looking swing.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23:42 PM »
Why doesn't anyone want to mention the name ANGELA STANFORD?  ;D

Her opening round 65 led by one shot over a bunch of not-named's!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:34:40 PM by Philip Young »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »
Caught a bit of it on TV in the work out room. Angela Stanford will have trouble keeping pace with the speed the wind is blowing. Looked like Pressel was trying to get an official to call it for the day because of the wind.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »
So at the end of day two, despite Garland's prediction that Angela "will have trouble keeping pace with the speed the wind is blowing" she remains tied for the lead after shooting a courageous one-under par in brutal conditions. The "unnammed" competitor who is tied with her could only manage to shoot one-shot better at two-under despite playing in better conditions!  ;D

This will be fun to see how Angela handles the pressure put upon her by the "unnamed's"!

Drew Standley

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
I will be actively rooting for Stacy Lewis (The Woodlands, TX & Massengale Academy) to mop the floor with Michelle Wie and her mouth full of rocks. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:45:50 PM »
Angela deserves kudos for holding it together in those conditions.

Tomorrow will show whether the season veteran with wins under her belt can out duel the unnamed upstart with a history of fading. Wie shall see.

;)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »
The unnamed upstart said putting was very difficult in the wind today and a couple of times the wind nearly blew her 6ft tall frame over...

I wonder if wie will see a new Rookie of the Year?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »

Craig,

Every year wie see a new rookie of the year.
 ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
I think oui understand where the sports writers get their witty headlines from.....

Let me guess, if she wins:

"Wie are the Champion"

You guys should get the credit if they go with anything like that.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
Joe,

In this tournament "She" HAS to win!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
Shouldn't wie be discussing golf course architecture instead?  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:26:05 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

john_stiles

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »

Me shelled out a lot of money for a new plasma just to watch the first victory.

TX Golf

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
39 on the back nine.... ouch!!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:27:28 PM »
Pretty tough conditions to score in-not surprised that a veteran winner like Angela S won. Wie played fairly well-hard to not respect her abilities. A 2nd place finish this early in her rookie season is still impressive. Isn't she only 19 yrs old? Lots of chances to win in her future. Hopefully her father will stay out of the picture!    Jack

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
I don't pay much attention to the world of Wie. Is she just dabbling as a rookie on the LPGA tour or did she bag Stanford?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
Ed,  She went thru Q school and earned her card. Hope all is well with you in NC. Hope to see you in Chicago one of these summers.
                                                    Jack

ed_getka

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »
Ed,  She went thru Q school and earned her card. Hope all is well with you in NC. Hope to see you in Chicago one of these summers.
                                                    Jack

Jack,
  All is well in NC. I wish someone would have warned me it gets cold in the south. :) I certainly look forward to our next round together. As for Wie is she in school or not?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »
Ed, I doubt it.  She had to take time off of school to prepare for Q-school and she is now a Tour member.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 10:02:31 PM »
Ed,  I thought she left Stanford for the tour. I hope she has the same luck as the last amateur to leave Stanford for a pro tour -what was that guys name? ;)                          Jack

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »
Ed,  I thought she left Stanford for the tour. I hope she has the same luck as the last amateur to leave Stanford for a pro tour -what was that guys name? ;)                          Jack

Jack,
   She will need a whole lot more than "luck" to even scratch the surface of old what's his name's achievements. I hope that poor girl has developed a putting stroke while at Stanfurd (the Cal spelling).

Craig Sweet

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
The poor girl has been back at Stanford...and she has had quite a putting stroke this week...she missed a couple of short putts yesterday in the wind...said the ball was vibrating and couldn't ground the club...but she also made some long putts...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »
I haven't heard anything about her leaving Stanford. She was studying for finals during Q-school. I suspect she may do like last year, go fall and winter quarters and take spring quarter off. I believe this was just a trip back home to Hawaii for a week, and returning to school next week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back