News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Old Mac videos on Youtube
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
My apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere.  I searched and couldn't find any mention of it.  So I thought I would pass along a series of Old Mac videos recently posted on youtube which a lurker friend of mine alerted me to.  They appear to be the raw footage from a TV interview with some of the principal players at Bandon.  I have no idea whether or not the piece has aired.  But since the raw footage has already been on youtube for a few weeks, I can't see any harm in posting links here.  So here they are.  The first clip and the beginning of the second clip contain virtually no audio but show video of the course.  Starting at about the 2 minute mark of the second clip and continuing all the way through the third are interviews with Mike Keiser, John Grothe and Tom Doak.  Some interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ8oOoFBCnw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r22993dvmq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRPBLht9MkU

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Old Mac videos on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:21 AM »
pretty friggen cool land forms
that video will look very cool 100 years from now
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:28 AM »
I like how they used the "Cloverdale" concept while shooting the video  ;D

It's actually kind of neat to get some color on OM from the protagonists.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:57:54 AM »

Thanks Ed - enjoyed those clips.

Cheers - Lyne

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:39:02 AM »
Great stuff, thanks for posting those.  What an exciting project....and what a unique experience it will be for those golfers that step on the 1st tee at Old Macdonald never having played any of CB Macdonald's or Seth Raynor's golf courses.  It will definitely be sensory overload for many.....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
Just more evidence that Keiser et al wrote the book on marketing golf courses.  They definitely know how to create buzz with just the right cohort at virtually no expense to themselves.  It's pure genius.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
Old Mac is really, really good.

Like, really good.

I just hope the 8 that they put in are as good as the 10 that are out there now.

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
Now that was a fun 20 - 30 minutes at the office this morning! Thanks for posting Ed.

Haven't been to Bandon (yet), but know I'll be going someday soon.

Great stuff -

Ed Oden

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
For those who don't want to take the time to watch the whole thing and are just interested in Tom Doak's comments, skip forward to about the 8 minute mark of the second clip and continue into the third.  Of course, if you do so, you will miss seeing some serious green contours!

Ed

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »
Thanks for posting the links, Ed.

Looks very playable. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
is that first hole an Alps?  Who knows what is what on that video?

And is Doak wearing a North Berwick windshirt?  Looks like the logo.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
Bill:

The Alps hole isn't finished yet, so we didn't play it.  The hole we started on was the Long hole (#6).

And, my golf bag is actually from North Berwick, but I don't own any clothes from there.  I think the windshirt is from the Big Ten / Pac Ten Challenge at Bandon, which Josh Lesnik gave to me.  It's the warmest one I've got.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
Bill:

The Alps hole isn't finished yet, so we didn't play it.  The hole we started on was the Long hole (#6).

And, my golf bag is actually from North Berwick, but I don't own any clothes from there.  I think the windshirt is from the Big Ten / Pac Ten Challenge at Bandon, which Josh Lesnik gave to me.  It's the warmest one I've got.

"Warmest" is good at Bandon!  The course looks great, can't wait to get a look.  Having played and loved NGLA, the Creek, Yale, Mountain Lake and walked Chicago at the Walker Cup, I am looking forward to seeing how you and the committee channeled Old Mac.  George Bahto must have been aglow!

That shield on the windshirt looks like North Berwick - but no detail on the video.

JMorgan

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
Ugh, belly putter.

Thanks for the links there, Ed.

Brad, what's up with those jammies? 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:17:38 PM by JMorgan »

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:12 PM »
Wow, that course looks like a blast to play.  This looks like it's going to be one of those courses where you're heading straight back to the first tee as soon as you finish putting out on 18.  I'm now officially kicking myself for passing on a 2010 trip to Bandon.

Jim Tang

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »
Does anyone know exactly when Old Mac will open for play?   Bandon's web site says summer 2010.  May?  June?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
Ten hole preview rounds April 2009.
Seeding of the remaining eight holes completed by May 2009.
Opening of Old Macdonald Summer 2010.

That is the schedule/context as I know it here at Bandon Dunes.

Hope this helps,

Tom
the pres

Nick Church

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
Side question --- is anyone documenting the course's design & construction?  I wonder if there's a book of any sort.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Old Mac videos on Youtube New
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Late to this - thanks much, Ed.

Made me think - you know how sometimes when you hear a great piece of music for the first time, it sounds both strikingly new AND warmly familiar at the same time?  (I'm thinking of the first time I heard Coleman Hawkin's version of "Body and Soul"...If you haven't, and you get a chance, please do - it is a rare masterpiece)  That's the feeling I got from seeing those bits of OM.  The HOW and WHY of it I can't even begin to understand....

Peter   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:38:18 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back