News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Re: Royal Melbourne looking for a Greenkeeper
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
Mark,

THey killed off a few greens a few years ago which wasn't great for the image of the course. 
The architecture changes on the east course have not been within the spirit of the design and the sandy waste areas on 7 and 15 in particular can be improved alot.
THe choice of grass on the greens has been debated many times.  I don't know if they have the right grass or not, others will have a firmer opinion.

Either way, these three issues are not drought related, and whilst it is hard to blame the Superindendent for any of them, a new superintendent might be in a position to improve them.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 05:45:07 PM »
Do you think they will hire a local guy or bring in an international ?
Bearing in mind the Hawtree decision.

RichMacafee

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »
Do you think they will hire a local guy or bring in an international ?
Bearing in mind the Hawtree decision.

The 3rd possibility would be to promote someone from within as the day-to-day super, but use a 'consulting superintendant' to make and oversee the major decisions. Other clubs have done this, and it may be an option for RM given the current situation.
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Matt Day

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 01:45:21 AM »
just seen this in the weekly AGCSA (supers association) newsletter The Cut, as it says their is a link to the job advert

"Australia's most iconic golfing facility Royal Melbourne Golf Club is on the hunt for a new course superintendent following the resignation of long-serving Jim Porter last week. Porter, a long-time member of the AGCSA and former board member, tendered his resignation last week citing personal reasons and will finish up in March. The news caused shockwaves throughout the turf industry and quickly found its way into the pages of The Age newspaper and golf websites around the globe. The club officially posted an advertisement for a new course superintendent on the AGCSA website today"'

George Blunt

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 10:36:15 PM »
It's a shame the issues being debated seem to revolve around one week when a collection of the world's best golfers descend.  A showcase tournament indeed, but the long term future of the course and its playing principles is more important than one tournament.
I do not have a position on the capabilities of Mr. Porter or any other superintendant, I just hope that any decision making for such an important course is taken with a long, long term vision in mind.
George

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:48 PM »
... the long term future of the course and its playing principles is more important than one tournament.

.... I just hope that any decision making for such an important course is taken with a long, long term vision in mind.
George

+1

George - nice to see you back here

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
Jeez it's hot here today - 45.2 degrees celsius (113 in the old money).

Thank God for airconditioning and cold beer....

George Blunt

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
James, nice to be back, after 2 years in the Indian Wilderness, but, I am now in New York.

Unlike Mr. Gurnett's world, it is 20 degrees outside - in the old money, so minus 10C or so!  No outdoor drinking allowed, but it still works indoors!

All the best to everyone at home.

George

Stephen Britton

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
For what it's worth,

I worked for Jim for close to 9 years. He hired me straight out of high school to be his apprentice. During the next 9 years he basically taught me everything I know about greenskeeping and about how to conduct yourself in a professional manner. Jim is extremely knowledgeable and well respected in the turfgrass community and has made numerous personal sacrifices in dedicating close to 20 years of service to one of the worlds golfing treasures.  I know myself and others who worked under Jim would not be where they are today in the turfgrass industry without Jim’s guidance and mentoring. Perhaps we need to be reminded of the 98 Presidents Cup when Jim prepared the composite course during temps over 40 deg. Then with persisting rain on the Sunday Jim was invited up on stage during the closing ceremony to be thanked by Jack Nicklaus and Peter Thompson.

IMO Jim’s hands have been tied for a long time with the water restrictions and I’m sure some internal and external decisions regarding course changes and modifications..

I wish him and his family the best of luck for the future.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back